Liberty saw a 6-0 lead evaporate, as UT Arlington scored three runs in both the fifth and sixth innings to tie it at 6-6. Autumn Bishop made it 8-6 Liberty with a sixth-inning two-run blast before the Mavericks' three-run seventh sealed their 9-8 comeback win in Game 2 of the NISC Championship Round, Friday at TC Colorado Field.
UT Arlington (34-27) advances to the winners' bracket final against defending NISC champion Loyola Marymount, tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET. The Lady Flames (40-21) will face Iowa State in an elimination game tomorrow at noon ET.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Amber Bishop homers to left, Autumn Bishop scores, 2-0
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Autumn Bishop homers to center, McFarland and Griffin score, 5-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Erich singles up the middle, Via scores, 6-0
UTA – 5th INNING – Walton reaches on an error, Grimes scores, 6-1
UTA – 5th INNING – Garcia singles, advances to second on an error, Curry advances, Courtr and Walton score, 6-3
UTA – 6th INNING – Mendoza doubles, Grimes advances, scores on error, 6-4
UTA – 6th INNING – Court singles, Walton advances, Mendoza scores, 6-5
UTA – 6th INNING – Curry singles down the left field line, Court advances, Walton scores, 6-6
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Autumn Bishop homers to right center, Griffin scores, 8-6
UTA – 7th INNING – Grimes singles, Murphy advances, Wright scores, 8-7
UTA – 7th INNING – Walton singles to right center, Mendoza and Grimes score, 9-8
Notable Numbers - UT Arlington set Liberty opponent season highs in runs scored (9) and hits (15), while leaving eight on base. The Lady Flames registered nine hits, including three homers, but tied a season high with four errors. All but one of the Mavericks' runs came with two outs in an inning.
- UTA's Laura Henriksen (7-1) earned the win, allowing three runs on four hits and walking three in four relief innings. Allie Gardner got the final three outs, picking up her seventh save.
- Julia DiMartino (19-11) drew the loss, allowing six runs (three earned) on 11 hits, walking one and striking out two in six total innings pitched. Chase Cassady yielded three runs on four hits in one inning of work.
- Reagan Wright and Avery Grimes both had three hits for the Mavericks, and Grimes also scored three times. Whitney Walton went 1-for-4 with three RBI.
- Autumn Bishop batted 2-for-2 with two homers (her first two of the season), a career-high five RBI and three runs scored. Amber Bishop went 2-for-4 with her team-leading 13th homer, her 15th double, and two RBI. Denay Griffin went 2-for-3 with two runs scored.
Turning Point - Liberty burst out of the gates, with Amber Bishop launching a two-run homer over the mountain scape-themed left field wall in the bottom of the first. Autumn Bishop crushed a three-run shot to center to boost the lead to 5-0 in the second. Alexis Erich made it 6-0 with a third-inning RBI single.
- Heading into the fifth inning, Liberty had not allowed a single run in 25 innings pitched during the NISC. UTA rallied with three runs in the fifth and three runs in the sixth to tie it at 6-6.
- Autumn Bishop hit a two-run homer with two outs in the bottom of the sixth, putting Liberty back ahead 8-6.
- However, the Mavericks scored three times in the bottom of the seventh, including what proved to be a game-winning two-out, two-run single by Walton.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty is 17-1 this season when scoring at least one run in the first inning and 32-4 when scoring first in a game.
- The Lady Flames are 5-12 in one-run games this season.
- This was the third time during their collegiate careers that both Autumn and Amber homered in the same game.
- Autumn Bishop and Amber Bishop (May 22, 2017 vs. Cal Poly) are the only two Lady Flames to homer twice in a postseason game.
- Sarah Robertson is now tied with Jessica Moore (2005-07) for third in program history with 229 career hits. Robertson is second in program history with 49 career doubles.
- Liberty pitching had not allowed a single run in 28 1/3 straight innings pitched before today's fifth inning.
- Both Cassady (17 1/3) and DiMartino (13) had lengthy shutout innings streaks snapped today.
- When Liberty won the inaugural NISC title in 2017, the Lady Flames lost their first game in the championship round to Weber State before winning five straight elimination games. Liberty is 6-0 all-time in NISC elimination games. In order to win it all this year, Liberty will have to win four games over the next two days.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram