The No. 4 seed Jacksonville Dolphins scored three runs in the 10th innings to defeat the No. 2 seed Liberty Flames 9-6, Thursday evening at Melching Field at Conrad Park in Game 6 of the ASUN Baseball Championship.
The Dolphins jumped out to 5-0 lead through the first 4 1/3 innings, before seeing the Flames plate six unanswered runs to take a short-lived lead in the bottom of the seventh. Jacksonville tied the game in the eighth and won the contest in extra innings.
Liberty right fielder and ASUN Player of the Year Jonathan Embry, who had three hits and three RBI in the contest, belted a two-run home run to start the Flames five-run rally in the seventh and cut Liberty's deficit to 5-3.
Flames third baseman Tyler Galazin, who also had three hits in the contest, tied the game with an infield single later in the seventh.
Liberty drops to 38-19 and will face the loser of Game 7 between Jacksonville and No. 6 seed Stetson tomorrow in Game 8, an elimination game, at 4 p.m. Jacksonville improves to 32-25. The Dolphins and Stetson are the only two remaining unbeaten teams in the double-elimination tournament.
Box Score Highlights Records: Jacksonville (32-25); Liberty (38-19) Location: DeLand, Fla. (Melching Field at Conrad Park) WP: Zach Bryant (3-2) | LP: Evan Brabrand (4-2)
Scoring Summary JU – 1st INNING – Southern doubles, Julyia scores, 1-0 JU – 3rd INNING – Julyia scores on wild pitch, 2-0 JU – 5th INNING – Cassala walks, Hefferon scores, 3-0 JU – 5th INNING – Southern singles, Dubrule and Garrastazu score, 5-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Embry singles, Guy scores, 5-1 LBIERTY – 7th INNING – Embry homers, Betts scores, 5-3 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Locklear walks, Mathieu scores, 5-4 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Galazin reaches on an infield single, Wagner scores, 5-5 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Rohrer flies out, Highfill scores, 6-5 JU – 8th INNING – Dubrule singles, Garrastazu scores, 6-6 JU – 10th INNING – Camacho flies out, Garrastazu scores, 7-6 JU – 10th INNING – Southern doubles, Cassala and Dubrule score, 9-6 Notable Numbers - Jacksonville collected 14 hits in the contest and committed one error. Liberty had 10 hits and also made an error.
- The Flames left nine men on base, while the Dolphins left 12.
- Embry, the ASUN Player of the Year, recorded his 15th multi-hit game of the year. His home run in the seventh inning was his team-leading 10th of the season.
- Galazin posted his team-leading 18th multi-hit game and his fifth three-hit contest of the season. Flames Catcher Gray Betts joined the multi-hit game parade with two hits in the contest.
- Jacksonville shortstop Dakota Julyia went 4-for-4 and scored two runs. Catcher Jacob Southern had three hits and drove in five runs for Dolphins.
Turning Point With the score knotted at 6-6, Jacksonville loaded the bases with one out in the top of the 10th inning. Third baseman Angel Camacho then lifted a sacrifice fly to plate right fielder Cory Garrastazu to give the Dolphins a 7-6. Southern followed with his second double of the game, plating two more runs for a 9-6 advantage.
Beyond the Box Score - The Flames lose for the first time in extra innings, this season. Liberty drops to 2-1 in extra innings.
- Liberty drops its first contest when leading after seven innings in 2019. The Flames entered the contest with a 32-0 mark.
- Jacksonville has won three of its four meetings with Liberty, this season.
- Galazin has had at least one hit in each of his last 11 games. The hit streak is a career-high for the senior third baseman.
- Embry has recorded a hit in 10 consecutive games, tying his career-high.
- Betts extended his reached base streak to 32 consecutive games, the longest by a Flame this season.
Up Next Liberty will meet the loser of No. 4 seed Jacksonville and No. 6 seed Stetson in an elimination game tomorrow in Game 8 of the ASUN Baseball Championship. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.