No. 2 seed Liberty used a four-run sixth inning to back up a four-hit shutout by Julia DiMartino, as the Lady Flames shut out sixth-seeded North Florida 4-0 in the 2019 ASUN Softball Championship quarterfinal, Thursday at FGCU Softball Complex.
Conference newcomer Liberty (37-18) advances to tomorrow's ASUN semifinal at 12:30 p.m. The Lady Flames will face the winner of this afternoon's game between No. 1 seed Lipscomb and No. 4 seed North Alabama. UNF (27-23) falls into the losers' bracket and will play at 1:30 p.m., this afternoon.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Sweat reaches on a fielder's choice, Robertson and Amber Bishop advance, Autumn Bishop scores on a throwing error, 1-0
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Griffin singles to third base, Sweat advances to third, Robertson scores, Amber Bishop scores, 3-0
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – McFarland out at first, sac bunt, Griffin advances, Hoffman scores, 4-0
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit UNF 5-4 for the game. The Ospreys committed two errors compared to one for the Lady Flames.
- Julia DiMartino (18-9) tossed her fifth shutout of the season, allowing four hits while striking out six.
- UNF's Morgan Clausen (4-6) drew the loss, allowing two runs (one earned) on four hits, walking two and striking out two in five innings pitched. Sydney Matzko yielded two unearned runs on one hit with one strikeout in one inning of work.
- Sarah Robertson went 2-for-2 with one run scored, while Denay Griffin batted 2-for-3 with one RBI. Kaitlin McFarland threw out two would-be basestealers and drove in one run.
- UNF's Navia Penrod went 3-for-3 with one stolen base.
Turning Point - Liberty broke a scoreless tie in the sixth. Clausen walked Autumn and Amber Bishop to lead off the inning. Matzko came on in relief of Clausen and struck out Jaclyn Amader. A hit batter loaded the bases. Liberty's first run scored on an error. Leading 1-0, Denay Griffin hit an RBI infield single, with another run scoring on an error on the play for a 3-0 lead. McFarland made it 4-0 with a successful squeeze bunt.
- DiMartino pitched a 1-2-3 seventh to close out the shutout.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty has tossed 16 shutouts this season.
- Liberty is 4-0 against North Florida and 13-0 versus ASUN teams from Florida this season.
- The Lady Flames have won their last 14 games in a row when playing in Florida.
- Liberty has now tossed 10 shutouts all-time in conference tournament play. Today's shutout was Liberty's first conference tournament shutout since May 11, 2016 when DiMartino four-hit Presbyterian in the Big South Tournament.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram