Liberty scored twice in the bottom of the third on Friday morning, edging the visiting Jacksonville Dolphins 2-1 in an ASUN series opener at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium.
The Lady Flames (31-16, 13-3) remain atop ASUN standings after winning their 10th straight conference game. Meanwhile, Jacksonville falls to 13-30, 1-12 in ASUN play with its 14th consecutive setback.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Autumn Bishop singles through the left side, Via scores, 1-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Amader singles to right, Autumn Bishop scores, 2-0
JACKSONVILLE – 5th INNING – Holloway doubles to center, O'Neal scores, 2-1
Notable Numbers - Liberty recorded six hits, compared to four for the Dolphins. Jacksonville left five runners on base, while the Lady Flames stranded four.
- Julia DiMartino (16-7) earned the win, allowing one run on four hits, striking out seven and walking one. She improved her record to 7-1 in ASUN games. - Jacksonville's Alyssa Bilodeau (7-14) drew the loss, giving up two runs on six hits, while striking out six.
- Jaclyn Amader batted 2-for-3 with one RBI for Liberty, while Autumn Bishop went 1-for-3 with one run scored and one RBI.
- Kayanna Perez went 2-for-3 for the Dolphins, while Haley Holloway batted 1-for-3 with a double and one RBI.
Turning Point - Liberty opened the scoring in the third, as Madison Via led off with a single. She went to second on a wild pitch and took third on a groundout. Autumn Bishop sent an RBI single to left center. After two outs, Amader's single to right made it 2-0 Lady Flames.
- Jacksonville nearly tied it in the fifth. Carolyn O'Neal was hit by a pitch with one out. Holloway later sent a drive off the wall in center that scored O'Neal to narrow the deficit to 2-1. DiMartino then got Victoria Rodebaugh to foul out for the third out. The Liberty senior then pitched two scoreless frames to complete the win.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty's current 10-game conference winning streak ties a program record, tying the streak that the Lady Flames went on in Big South play from March 17 through April 16, 2018.
- Autumn Bishop extended her hitting streak to 11 games, the longest hitting streak by any Lady Flame so far this season.
- Liberty is now 17-2 at home this season, outscoring opponents 106-18 at Liberty Softball Stadium.
- Today was Liberty's first one-run victory since defeating Bucknell 1-0 on Feb. 24. The Lady Flames had lost their last eight games that were decided by one run before today. Liberty is 3-9 in one-run games this season.
- DiMartino is now in sole possession of the program record for career starts (105), her seventh career record at Liberty.
- Autumn Bishop moved into a tie for seventh place in program history (Sammi Shivock – 2011-14; Kelly Strickland – 2009-12) with 114 career runs scored.
Up Next Liberty and Jacksonville will complete this weekend's series with a doubleheader tomorrow beginning at 10 a.m.
The Lady Flames will honor their eight seniors – Jaclyn Amader, Chase Cassady, Jasmeen Click, Julia DiMartino, Kaitln McFarland, Rylee Reynolds, Sarah Robertson and Deidra See – with senior day ceremonies prior to game one tomorrow.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram