The Wake Forest Demon Deacons defeated the Liberty Flames 6-2, Tuesday evening at David F. Couch Ballpark.
Solo home runs by designated hitter Shane Muntz in fifth inning and catcher Brendan Tinsman in the sixth inning gave the host Demon Deacons a 4-2 lead they did not relinquished.
Liberty shortstop Cam Locklear had two hits and scored a run for the Flames. Tinsman had three hits and drove in three runs for Wake Forest.
Liberty falls to 27-9 on the season. Wake Forest improves to 22-16.
Box Score Highlights Records: Wake Forest (22-16); Liberty (27-9) Location: Winston-Salem, N.C. (David F. Couch Ballpark) Attendance: 461 WP: Antonio Mendez (5-1) | LP: Mason Meyer (5-3)
Scoring Summary WF – 2nd INNING – Tinsman singles, Seymour scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Galazin singles, Embry scores, 1-1 WF – 3rd INNING – Steele scores on passed ball, 2-1 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Highfill grounds into fielder's choice, Locklear scores, 2-2 WF – 5th INNING – Muntz homers, 3-2 WF – 6th INNING – Tinsman homers, 4-2 WF – 7th INNING – Ludwing reaches on a fielder's choice, Lanzilli scores, 5-2 WF – 7th INNING – Tinsman flies out, Seymour scores, 6-2 Notable Numbers - Wake Forest outhit Liberty, 10-5, in the contest. Each team committed an error.
- Four Liberty pitchers combined to strike out seven and walk three. Five Wake Forest pitchers struck out eight and walked five.
- Liberty starting pitcher Mason Meyer gave up three runs on nine hits over five innings.
- Wake Forest's connected for his team-leading 10th home run of the season. Muntz hit his sixth home run of the season for the Deacons.
Turning Point With one out in the top of the seventh and Wake Forest leading 4-2, Liberty catcher Jonathan Embry walked to put Flames on first and second. But, Deacons left-hander Bobby Hearn stranded the runners by striking out the next two batters to end the Liberty scoring threat and maintain Wake Forest's two-run advantage.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty drops a midweek contest for the first time since losing 7-1 at Tennessee on Feb. 26. The Flames entered the contest, having won six straight midweek games.
- Liberty is now 7-6 in road contests this season. In addition, the Flames drop their first game to an ACC opponent in 2019. Liberty was 5-0 against ACC teams coming into the contest.
- The Flames and Deacons split their season series, with each team winning on its home field. Liberty won 9-3 at Liberty Baseball Stadium on Feb. 19.
- Second baseman Will Wagner walked in the contest. The sophomore has reached base in a season-high 16 consecutive games.
- Logan Barker pitched a scoreless eighth inning for the Flames. The right-hander has not allowed a run during his last five appearances.
Up Next The Flames return home to Liberty Baseball Stadium for a three-game non-conference series against the North Carolina A&T Aggies, this weekend. The series gets underway, Thursday at 6 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram