The Liberty Flames collected a season-high 22 hits, romping past the Stetson Hatters 15-4, Sunday at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Flames catcher Jonathan Embry and second baseman Will Wagner each had a career-high four hits in the contest, while third baseman Tyler Galazin and shortstop Cam Locklear posted three hits apiece in the contest.
Liberty raced out to a 9-0 advantage through the first three innings of play, plating two runs in the first, three in the second and four in the third.
With the victory, the Flames take the three-game ASUN Conference series, two games to one. Liberty moves to 9-3 in ASUN play and 27-8 overall. Stetson falls 5-4 in conference and 16-19 overall.
Box Score Highlights Records: Stetson (16-19, 5-4 ASUN); Liberty (27-8, 9-3 ASUN) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,090 WP: Joseph Adametz (5-1) | LP: Robbie Peto (0-6)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Wagner doubles, Embry scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Galazin singles, Wagner scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Embry singles, Locklear scores, 3-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Wagner reaches on scoring error, Betts scores, 4-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Galazin singles, Embry scores, 5-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Highfill singles, Betts scores, 6-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Embry bunt single, Guy scores, 7-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Wagner singles, Embry and Highfill score, 9-0 STETSON – 5th INNING – Cardieri reaches on error by shortstop, MacNeil scores, 9-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Galazin singles to left, Highfill scores, 10-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Rohrer doubles, Galazin and Wagner score, 12-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Locklear singles, Rohrer scores, 13-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Guy walks, Mathieu scores, 14-1 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Mathieu singles, Wagner scores, 15-1 STETSON – 9th INNING – Ball singles, Doskow scores, 15-2 STETSON – 9th INNING – Koos flies out, MacNeil scores, 15-3 STETSON – 9th INNING – Arenas triples, Ball scores, 15-4
Notable Numbers - Liberty's 22 hits eclipse its previous season-high of 17 in its 16-2 win at North Alabama on April 5. The Flames committed one error in the contest.
- Stetson had seven hits in the contest and made three errors. Four of the Hatters' hit came in the ninth inning.
- Eight of Liberty's nine batters in its lineup had one hit and seven collected two or more in the contest.
- Wagner and Galazin each drove in three RBI. It was the third time this season that each player has knocked in three runs in a contest.
- Embry and Wagner each scored three times in the game. It is the first time in his career that Wagner has scored more than two runs in a contest.
- Left-hander Joseph Adametz pitched into the sixth inning. The freshman allowed an unearned run on three hits.
Turning Point Leading 2-0 in the bottom of the second, the Flame took control, plating three runs with two outs in the inning. Locklear walked and left fielder Gray Betts singled to lead off the inning.
However, it looked as if the Hatters might get out of the inning by retiring the next batter. But, Embry dropped a two-out single into the left to score Locklear for a 3-0 edge. Wagner then reached on a fielding error, allowing Betts to plate the second two-out run hit of the inning. Galazin followed by beating out an infield single behind the third base bag and bring in Embry for a commanding 5-0 lead.
Beyond the Box Score - With the series victory, Liberty has won seven-straight weekend series and have yet to drop an ASUN Conference series this season.
- Liberty moves to 20-3 at Liberty Baseball Stadium in 2019.
- With three RBI on Sunday, Wagner has driven in at least one run in nine of his last 10 games. Over that span, the second baseman has 14 RBI. In addition, he has reached base in 15 consecutive games, a new season-high.
- Left fielder Gray Betts collected two hits on Sunday and now has had at least one hit in six out of his last seven games. He has hit .478 and collected 11 hits over the six games.
- With a hit today, Ben Highfill has had at least one hit in each of his three starts since taking over as the Flames designated hitter on Saturday.
- 20 of the 21 pitches that Liberty reliever Logan Barker threw in his two inning relief stint on Sunday were strikes. The sophomore right-hander tied a career-high with four strikeouts.
Up Next The Flames travel to Winston-Salem, N.C. on Tuesday for a contest against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. First pitch at David F. Couch Ballpark is scheduled for 6 p.m.