Garret Price pitched five innings of shutout relief in game 2 win, Saturday.
Reliever Garret Price shut down the Stetson Hatters over the final five innings and shortstop Cam Locklear and first baseman Logan Mathieu each belted home runs, propelling the Liberty Flames to a 12-6 victory in game two of an ASUN doubleheader, Saturday at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Price entered in the fifth inning and did not allow a hit the rest of the way in the Liberty win. He struck out a season-high seven and walked one.
Locklear and Mathieu were two of four Flames with two hits in the contest. Locklear connected for a three-run home run in the third inning, his fourth home run of the year, and Mathieu hit a two-run home run in the fourth, his team-leading fifth of the season.
With the victory, Liberty splits the doubleheader with Stetson. The Hatters took game one 3-2. Liberty moves to 8-3 in the ASUN and 26-8 overall. Stetson drops to 5-3 in conference play and 16-18 overall
Box Score Highlights Records: Stetson (16-18, 5-3 ASUN); Liberty (26-8, 8-3 ASUN) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,665 WP: Garret Price (5-1)| LP: Daniel Paret (2-1)
Scoring Summary STETSON – 2nd INNING - Varela homers, Borgart scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Embry singles, Guy scores, 2-1 STETSON – 3rd INNING – Sparks singles, Koos scores, 3-1 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Locklear homers, Mathieu and Rohrer score, 4-3 STETSON – 4th INNING – Ball singles, Foggo scores, 4-4 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Rohrer doubles, Galazin scores, 5-4 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Mathieu homers, Rohrer scores, 7-4 STETSON – 5th INNING – Arenas doubles, Koos scores, 7-5 STETSON – 5th INNING – Doskow grounds into double play, Arenas scores, 7-6 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Guy flies out, Betts scores, 8-6 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Guy walks, Mathieu scores, 9-6 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Highfill singles, Betts and Locklear score, 11-6 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Wagner flies out, Guy scores, 12-6
Notable Numbers - Liberty collected 12 hits in the contest and committed two errors. Stetson had nine hits and did not make an error
- Besides Locklear and Mathiueu, second baseman Will Wagner and right fielder Brandon Rohrer each had two hits apiece for the Flames.
- Eight of Liberty's nine batters in their lineup had at least one hit in the game.
- Five Hatters pitchers issued nine walks.
- Stetson catcher Benito Varela hit his third home run of the season in the second inning.
Turning Point With the score knotted at 4-4 in the bottom of the fourth, the Flames took control by plating three two-out runs. Third baseman Tyler Galazin kept the inning alive with a single and moved into scoring position by stealing second. Rohrer then lined a RBI double down the left field line to give Liberty a 5-4 advantage. Mathieu followed with a home run into the right field bullpen for a 7-4 lead.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty moves to 19-3 at Liberty Baseball Stadium and is 8-2 in its last 10 games.
- Price, who leads the Flames in appearances with 15, lowers his ASUN-leading ERA to 0.91. He recorded the longest outing of the season today by pitching five innings.
- With a RBI sacrifice fly, Wagner has driven in at least one run in eight of his last nine games. Over that span, the second baseman has 11 RBI. In addition, with two hits in the contest, he has reached base in 14 consecutive games, tying his season-high.
- Locklear has hit three home runs in his last four games.
- With a double in the fifth, left fielder Gray Betts has had at least one hit in five out of his last six games. He has hit .450 and collected nine hits over the six games.
- With two RBI, Mathieu has had 10 multi-RBI games to lead the Flames.
Up Next Stetson and Liberty will wrap-up their three-game ASUN series, tomorrow at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch for the rubber match is scheduled for 10 a.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram