Chase Cassady allowed just one run on Saturday.
Liberty led North Florida 5-0 entering the seventh inning before holding off a late rally and winning 5-1 to earn a doubleheader sweep, Saturday at UNF Softball Complex.
The conference-leading Lady Flames improve to 29-15, including 11-3 in ASUN play following their eighth straight conference victory. The Ospreys fall to 22-16, 4-7 in ASUN games. Liberty has clinched its fourth straight ASUN series victory.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Amader hit by a pitch, Via and McFarland advance, Click scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Autumn Bishop singles to right, advances to second on the throw, Amader advances, Via and McFarland score, 3-0
LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Amber Bishop flies out to right, sac fly, Autumn Bishop advances, Amader scores, 4-0
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – McFarland doubles down the left field line, Griffin scores, 5-0
NORTH FLORIDA – 7th INNING – Woodson singles to left field, Vega advances, Bryant scores, 5-1
Notable Numbers - Both teams recorded seven hits during the game. UNF stranded seven runners while Liberty left four on base.
- Chase Cassady (9-2) earned the win, allowing one run on seven hits, striking out six and walking one. - Sydney Matzko (11-8) drew the loss, giving up four runs on four hits with three strikeouts in 4 1/3 innings pitched. Reliever Kayla Cruz gave up one run on three hits in 2 2/3 innings.
- Amber Bishop, Denay Griffin and Kaitlin McFarland all went 2-for-3. McFarland doubled and had one RBI, while Amber Bishop had a sacrifice fly and drove in one run.
Turning Point - Liberty broke through for four runs in the top of the fifth. The Lady Flames loaded the bases with one out. Matzko then hit pinch hitter Jaclyn Amader, putting Liberty on the board. Autumn Bishop then hit a two-run single, and Amber Bishop made it 4-0 with a sacrifice fly off of reliever Cruz.
- The Lady Flames added an insurance run in the top of the sixth, as Griffin singled and scored on a double by McFarland.
- The Ospreys mounted a rally in the seventh. Singles by Rindy Bryant and Paige Pfent put runners on the corners with one out for Megan Woodson. Woodson lined a single to left, scoring Bryant from third. A Taylor Engman single loaded the bases, but Cassady retired the final two batters, sealing the 5-1 win.
Beyond the Box Score - Amber Bishop is now tied with Alexia Taylor (2015-18) for fourth in program history with 217 career hits.
- Liberty has swept doubleheaders in each of its last four ASUN series. For the season to date, the Lady Flames are 5-1 in the first game of a doubleheader and 6-0 during game two of a twin bill.
- Liberty has won each of its last 12 games in the state of Florida, dating to the 2017 season.
- Cassady holds a 33-22 career record and needs one more win to enter Liberty's all-time top 10 for career victories.
Up Next Liberty and North Florida will conclude this weekend's series with a single game tomorrow at 1 p.m. at UNF Softball Complex.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram