Gray Betts recorded a career-high four hits in win, Friday.
The Liberty Flames posted season-highs for runs and hits in a lopsided 16-2 victory over the North Alabama Lions, Friday evening at Lane Field. Liberty pounded out a 17 hits, en route to scoring 16 runs.
Designated hitter Gray Betts collected a career-high four hits with two RBI and scored three runs for the Flames, while catcher Jonathan Embry had three hits, including a home run, two RBI and plated two runs. Center fielder Jaylen Guy also hit a home run in the contest.
In addition, third baseman Tyler Galazin and second baseman Will Wagner each drove in three runs apiece in the contest.
With victory, Liberty extends its season-best winning streak to seven games. The Flames move to 6-1 in the ASUN Conference and 23-6 overall. The Lions drop to 1-6 in ASUN play and 6-23 overall.
Box Score Highlights Records: Liberty (23-6, 6-1 ASUN); North Alabama (6-23, 1-6 ASUN) Location: Florence, Ala. (Lane Field) Attendance: 262 WP: Andrew McInvale (7-0) | LP: Kyle Moore (0-3)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Embry singles, Guy scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Wagner singles, McDyre and Betts score, 3-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Galazin triples, Wagner and Embry score, 5-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Galazin scores on wild pitch, 6-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Locklear doubles, Mathieu scores, 7-0 UNA – 2nd INNING – Langston doubles, Mathis scores, 7-1 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Galazin singles, Betts scores, 8-1 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Rohrer singles, Wagner scores, 9-1 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Mathieu singles, Galazin and Rohrer score, 11-1 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Betts singles, Guy scores, 12-1 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Wagner flies out, Betts scores, 13-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Betts flies out, Rohrer scores, 14-1 UNA – 5th INNING – Mathis singles, Elliott scores, 14-2 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Guy homers, 15-2 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Embry homers, 16-2
Notable Numbers - Liberty banged out 17 hits, a season-high. The Flames' 17 hits eclipse their previous season-high of 15, which they collected Wednesday evening in a 13-1 victory at Elon.
- The Flames' 16 season-high runs surpass head coach Scott Jackson's team previous high of 14 in a 14-5 victory over Virginia at Liberty Baseball Stadium on March 13.
- With four hits, Betts, a freshman, collects the first multi-hit game of his career. Embry posts his fourth three-hit game of the season.
- Wagner drives in three runs in a game for the first time this season since Feb. 16 at South Carolina. Meanwhile, Galazin also posts his second three RBI game of the season and his first since March 10 at South Florida.
- Guy's home run was the first of his collegiate career, while Embry belted the third of his career.
- Six Flames had two or more hits in the contest. Logan Mathieu, Wagner, Galazin and Guy joined Betts and Embry with multi-hit games.
- Liberty pitcher Andrew McInvale picks up the victory. The right-hander allowed nine hits over innings. He struck out a career-high nine batters.
Turning Point The Flames went to work quickly. After loading the bases with one out and coming away empty in the first, Liberty took a control of the contest with seven runs on five hits in the top of the second inning.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty and North Alabama met for the first time on the baseball diamond, this evening. In addition, the contest was the first for the Flames in the state of Alabama since 2009, when they opened the season in a tournament at South Alabama in Mobile.
- The contest was a meeting between ASUN newcomers. The Flames and Lions are both in their first season in the conference.
- The Flames have scored five or more runs in one inning in each of their last three games. Liberty plated five runs in the eighth against North Florida this past Sunday, six runs in the fifth at Elon on Wednesday and seven runs in the second tonight.
- Rohrer extended his career-high hit streak to nine games. The outfielder singled, walked twice and scored twice in the contest.
- Wagner continued his current hit streak, running the streak to nine games also. The second baseman had a 12-game hitting streak earlier this season.
- McInvale has won each of his last seven starts. The right-hander leads the ASUN Conference in wins with seven.
Up Next Liberty and North Alabama square off again in the middle game of their ASUN series, tomorrow at Lane Field. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m. (EST).
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram