Outfielder Brandon Rohrer had three hits, drove in three runs and scored three runs in Liberty's victory, Wednesday.
The Liberty Flames extended their winning streak to a season-high six games with a 13-1 victory over the Elon Phoenix, Wednesday evening at Latham Park. Liberty collected a season-high 15 hits in the victory.
The visiting Flames raced out to 12-0 lead through the first five innings, putting up six runs in the fifth inning to take a comfortable advantage.
Liberty outfielder Brandon Rohrer and second baseman Will Wagner led all hitters in the contest with three hits apiece. Rohrer, the reigning ASUN Player of the Week, also drove in three runs and scored runs. Three other Flames had two hits each.
Liberty moves to 22-6 on the season. Elon falls to 16-13.
Box Score Highlights Records: Liberty (22-6); Elon (16-13) Location: Elon, N.C. (Latham Park) Attendance: 339 WP: Logan Riley (1-0) | LP: Mason Daniels (2-2)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Galazin grounds into a double play, Embry scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Locklear singles, Galazin and Rohrer score, 3-0 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Galazin singles, Wagner scores, 4-0 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Mathieu singles, Galazin scores, 5-0 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Rohrer scores on a wild pitch, 6-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Embry walks, Betts scores, 7-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Wagner flies out, Guy scores, 8-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING - Galazin triples, Galazin, Embry and Heid score, 11-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Mathieu flies out, Rohrer scores, 12-0 ELON – 5th INNING – Satterfield singles, Hennings scores, 12-1 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Wagner doubles, Guy scores, 13-1 Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit Elon, 15-2, in the contest. The Flames' 15 hits eclipse their previous season-high of 14, which came in a victory over Virginia at Liberty Baseball Stadium on March 13.
- Five Flames had two or more hits in the contest. Catcher Jonathan Embry, third baseman Tyler Galazin and shortstop Cam Locklear joined Rohrer and Wagner with multi-hit games.
- Liberty pitchers Mason Meyer, Landon Riley, David Erickson and Logan Barker combined to hold the Phoenix to one run on two hits.
- Liberty sent 10 men to the plate in the fifth inning. The Flames took a commanding 12- lead by plating six runs on two hits. Elon pitchers issued four walks and hit a batter in the inning.
Turning Point Leading 3-0, the Flames stretched their advantage with three two-out runs in the fourth inning. Wagner beat out an infield single and stole second. Galazin followed with a single, plating Wagner for a 4-0 edge.
Two batters later, first baseman Logan Mathieu dropped a run-scoring single into left field for a 5-0 lead. Rohrer, who walked earlier in the inning, then scored on a wild pitch for a 6-0 advantage.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty has won 17 of its last 20 games. The Flames posted a 16-3 record during the month of March.
- With their 28th game of 2019 today, the Flames reached the midway point of their regular season. Last season, Liberty reached the halfway point of the regular season with a 17-11 mark.
- The Flames are 11-0 when collecting 10 or more hits in a game.
- Rohrer extended his career-high hit streak to eight games. The outfielder has had two or more hits in seven of those contests. In addition, he has had 20 hits over his last 11 games.
- Wagner also prolonged his current hit streak to eight games. The second baseman had a 12-game hitting streak earlier this season.
- Meyer has allowed only one run over his last 16 innings, spanning four starts.
Up Next Liberty heads to Florence, Ala., for it's first-ever ASUN road series. The Flames will square off with the North Alabama Lions in a three-game series, this weekend. Friday's opener at Lane Field is set for 7 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram