Noah Skirrow retired 23 of the last 24 batters he faced, Saturday.
After allowing two runs in the first inning, right-hander Noah Skirrow dazzled, sparking the Liberty Flames to an 8-2 victory over the North Florida Ospreys, Saturday afternoon at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Skirrow allowed only one hit after a two-run first inning double, retiring 23 of the last 24 batters he faced in the victory. The sophomore ended the day allowing two runs on three hits over eight innings, striking out six and walking one.
Flames left fielder Brandon Rohrer collected four hits and drove in three runs. In addition, for the second straight game, first baseman Logan Mathieu had three RBI.
Liberty takes the ASUN Conference series, winning the first two games. The Flames, winners of four consecutive games, up their record to 4-1 in the ASUN and 20-6 overall. The Ospreys fall to 2-3 in conference and 16-13 overall.
Box Score Highlights Records: North Florida (16-13, 2-3 ASUN); Liberty (20-6, 4-1 ASUN) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,906 WP: Noah Skirrow (2-2) | LP: Brandon Reitz (1-3)
Scoring Summary UNF – 1st INNING – May doubles, Prather and Murphy score, 2-0 LIBERTY – 1st ININNG – Rohrer singles, Embry scores, 2-1 LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Mathieu doubles, Rohrer and Galazin score, 3-2 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Mathieu reaches on a dropped fly ball, Galazin scores, 4-2 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Betts doubles, Locklear and Rohrer score, 6-2 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Rohrer singles, Karraker scores, 7-2 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Rohrer singles, Wagner scores, 8-2 Notable Numbers - Liberty collected 12 hits. UNF managed three and committed the game's only error.
- Skirrow pitched eight innings, tying a career-high. The right-hander went eight innings in a win over Delaware, earlier this season. In addition, he allowed only four baserunners in the contest.
- Rohrer posted his second four-hit game this season, a career-high for the sophomore.
- Mathieu also drove in three runs in Liberty's 4-3 victory, last night.
- Liberty third baseman Tyler Galazin added two hits, walked twice and scored twice in the game.
Turning Point With one run already in during the bottom of the third, Liberty added two more with two out to give Skirrow a 6-2 lead to work with. With shortstop Cam Locklear and Rohrer in scoring position at second and third base, designated hitter Gray Betts ripped a double down the right field line to plate both runners to extend the Liberty advantage to four.
Beyond the Box Score - Skirrow leads the ASUN Conference with 53 strikeouts, two more than teammate Andrew McInvale.
- Rohrer collected his second four-hit game of the season, a career-high for the sophomore. The outfielder has had a hit in each of his last six games. During the span, he has hit .538 and has had two or more hits in five of those contests.
- It is the fourth time this season that Mathieu has had three or more RBI in a game and the first time in the sophomore's career he has knocked in three or more runs in back-to-back games.
Up Next UNF and Liberty will wrap up their three-game ASUN series, tomorrow afternoon at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.