Jaclyn Amader went 3-for-4 at FGCU on Saturday.
Liberty shook off an early 2-0 deficit, rallying to hand FGCU its first conference loss, 6-2, during game one of the doubleheader on Saturday at FGCU Softball Complex.
The Lady Flames improve to 21-13, 4-3 in ASUN play, while the Eagles fall to 17-13, 3-1 in conference games. FGCU had won its last four games entering this series.
Scoring Summary FGCU – 1st INNING – Morrell reaches on an error, sacrifice bunt, Kelly scores on the error, 1-0
FGCU – 1st INNING – Morrell scores on a passed ball, 2-0
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Erich singles to right, Amader and Amber Bishop and score, 2-2
LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Amader doubles to left center, Amber Bishop and Via score, 4-2
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Amber Bishop reaches on a fielder's choice, Autumn Bishop reaches second on error, Via and Click score, 6-2
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit FGCU 8-4 for the game. The Lady Flames sustained a season-high four errors, compared to two for the Eagles. FGCU left eight on base, while Liberty stranded five. - Chase Cassady (7-1) earned the victory, giving up two unearned runs on two hits, striking out seven and walking two in five innings of work. Julia DiMartino picked up her third save of the season, yielding two hits and striking out two in two innings pitched.
- Riley Randolph (13-6) drew the loss, giving up six runs (four earned) on eight hits, walking one and striking out nine in the complete-game effort. - Jaclyn Amader batted 3-for-4 with a double, two RBI and one run scored for Liberty. Alexis Erich (1-for-4) drove in two runs and Amber Bishop (1-for-3) scored twice.
- FGCU's Kate Kelly went 2-for-3 with two stolen bases and one run scored.
Turning Point - After going in order in each of the first three innings and trailing 2-0, Liberty strung together four one-out hits in the fourth. Alexis Erich's two-run single tied it at 2-2.
- Liberty struck again in the fifth, as Amader came through with a two-out, two-run double to make it 4-2, Liberty.
- DiMartino came on in relief of Cassady with two on and nobody out in the sixth, retiring the next three batters. After Liberty scored two in the top of the seventh, FGCU loaded the bases with one out in the home half. DiMartino retired the final two batters, including a diving catch by left fielder Taylor Hoffman to end the game.
Beyond the Box Score - FGCU and Liberty came into the game ranked first and second in the ASUN in team ERA, in that order. - FGCU Softball Complex will be the host site of the 2019 ASUN Softball Championship, May 8-11.
- The last time Liberty played at FGCU Softball Complex came during the 2014 FGCU Invitational. The stadium served as the site of the first five games of the coaching career of Liberty sixth-year head coach Dot Richardson.
- DiMartino, already the program career record holder for saves, picked up her 12th career save.
- Sarah Robertson is now tied for fifth in program history with 45 career doubles, sharing the spot with current teammate Autumn Bishop.
- Liberty is now 6-11 when its opponent scores first, winning each of the last two times its opponent scored the first run in the game.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram