Lipscomb salvaged game three of this weekend's ASUN series against Liberty, topping the Lady Flames 7-2 on Sunday at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball stadium.
The Bisons (20-11-1, 1-2 ASUN) snapped a four-game winless skid and are the first ASUN team to win 20 games so far this season. The Lady Flames (19-13, 3-3) won the series, sweeping Lipscomb in yesterday's doubleheader by a combined 11-2 score.
Scoring Summary LIPSCOMB – 2nd INNING – Gladden grounds out to second, Higgins scores, 1-0
LIPSCOMB – 3rd INNING – DeVault homers to left, Fortel and Ward score, 4-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Amader reaches on an error, Autumn Bishop and Canetto score, 4-2
LIPSCOMB – 4th INNING – Green reaches on an error by shortstop, Ward and Brewer score, 6-2
LIPSCOMB – 5th INNING – Vetula singles to pitcher, Gladden advances, Davis scores on throwing error, 7-2
Notable Numbers - Lipscomb outhit Liberty, 9-4, while Liberty sustained two out of the game's three errors. The Bisons left seven runners on base, compared to the Lady Flames' four. - Mandy Jordan (8-6) earned the complete-game victory, allowing two unearned runs on four hits, walking two and striking out nine. - Liberty starter Emily Kirby (2-1) drew the loss, allowing three runs on three hits, with three strikeouts and one walk in 2 1/3 innings. Julia DiMartino gave up three runs, one earned, on two hits in 1 1/3 innings pitched, while Elizabeth Engler yielded one unearned run in 2/3 innings. Chase Cassady tossed 2 2/3 scoreless relief frames.
- Lipscomb's Jordan Fortel went 2-for-3 with a triple, while Amy Vetula batted 2-for-4. DeVault went 1-for-4 with a homers and three RBI.
- Four different Lady Flames (Autumn Bishop, Jaclyn Amader, Sarah Robertson and Kara Canetto) all had one single apiece.
Turning Point - Lipscomb led 1-0 with one out and two on in the top of the third. DiMartino came on to face DeVault, who hit the senior pitcher's first offering over the fence in left for a 4-0 Lipscomb lead.
- Liberty responded in the bottom of the third, scoring twice with two outs. Amader hit a flare to right that a charging Graysen Gladden was unable to control, allowing a pair of Lady Flames to score.
- A two-out error by the Lady Flames gave those two runs right back, and the Bisons scored once on a throwing error in the fifth to cap the scoring in the 7-2 win.
Beyond the Box Score - Lipscomb snapped Liberty's 14-game conference home winning streak, which began at the start of the 2018 season.
- Liberty is now 3-1 all-time against Lipscomb in softball.
- Liberty has started three different pitchers in each of its first two conference series. Both last weekend at Kennesaw State and this weekend against Lipscomb, Liberty has pitched Julia DiMartino in game one, Chase Cassady in game two and Emily Kirby in game three.
- Sarah Robertson is now in sole possession of 10th place in program history in both career games started (223) and at bats (652).
Up Next The Lady Flames will head to Durham, N.C., for a game at Duke on Wednesday. Game time is scheduled for 4 p.m. Liberty will look to avenge a 3-1 loss to Duke, Feb. 9 in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.