For the second straight day, a pitching duo led the Liberty Flames past the Delaware Blue Hens, 8-1, Saturday evening at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Left-hander Joseph Adametz and right-hander Garret Price stymied the Delaware bats throughout the contest, combining to allow an unearned run on six hits. Liberty designated hitter Drew Baughman led all players with two hits and two RBI in the contest.
The Flames, winners of three straight contests, move to 4-2 on the season. The Blue Hens fall to 0-5.
Box Score Highlights Records: Delaware (0-5); Liberty (4-2) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,100 WP: Joseph Adametz (1-0) | LP: Brandon Walters (0-2) SV: Garret Price (1) Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Baughman singles, Rohrer scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Wagner singles, Galazin scores, 2-0 DEL – 3rd INNING – Mohollen singles, Bowren scores, 2-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Embry doubles, Karraker scores, 3-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Galazin singles, Embry scores, 4-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Baughman singles, Galazin scores, 5-1 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Embry scores on wild pitch, 6-1 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Highfill reaches on throwing error by 3B, Baughman and Mathieu score, 8-1 Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit Delaware, 8-6, in the contest. The Flames committed three errors, while the Blue Hens made two.
- Adametz records the victory in his first collegiate start. The freshman gave up an unearned run on five hits over 5 1/3 innings. He struck out four and walked one.
- Price earns his first save of 2019, pitching the final 3 2/3 innings. The right-hander allowed just one hit and struck out two. After giving up a hit to the first batter he faced in the contest, the junior retired the next 11 batters to close out the game.
- Baughman recorded his second multi-hit and his first multi-RBI game of his career. The freshman designated hitter is the only Flame with more than one multi-hit games this season.
Turning Point Leading 2-1, the Flames extended their lead with three runs in the fifth. Right fielder Ayden Karraker and catcher Jonathan Embry opened the home half of the inning with back-to-back doubles. Two batters later, Galazin singled to plate Embry and later, scored on a single by Baughman for 5-1 advantage.
Beyond the Box Score - Adametz and Price's pitching performance follows Friday's effort by the mound combination of Andrew McInvale and Evan Brabrand. The duo allowed two earned runs on five hits in Liberty's 5-4 victory.
- Galazin and Mathieu have reached base safely in all six of Liberty's contests, this season.
- Karraker has at least one hit in each of the last three games. It is the longest hitting streak of the right fielder's career.
Up Next The Flames and the Blue Hens will finish their three-game series at Liberty Baseball Stadium tomorrow afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram