Liberty closed out its regular-season schedule by sweeping Campbell and Marshall in a meet which wrapped up Saturday at the Liberty Natatorium.
The Lady Flames led from start to finish, downing Campbell, 258-100, while beating Marshall by a 249.5-112.5 score.
With the wins, Liberty concluded its season with a perfect 15-0 record, including 6-0 against CCSA teams. This is the first undefeated season in program history. The Lady Flames have also downed their last 14 CCSA opponents in dual meets.
Prior to today's session, Liberty honored its seven seniors – Shelby Black, Alicia Finnigan, Ricki Lee Hodges, Corrilynn Lynch, Elizabeth Magnusson, Ashley Mauzy and Siani Null – with a Senior Day ceremony.
Liberty Event Winners • 400 medley relay (Payton Keiner (55.43), Gianni Pitto (1:04.61), Alicia Finnigan (55.22), Colleen Donlin (52.23)) – 3:47.49
• R-So. Mikayla Herich – 1000 freestyle (10:23.88); 400 IM (4:30.54)*
• So. Payton Keiner – 200 backstroke (2:01.17)
• Fr. Gianni Pitto – 200 breaststroke (2:20.64)
• Fr. Lauren Chennault – One-meter diving (6) (278.25)
• Sr. Alicia Finnigan – 100 butterfly (55.79)
• Fr. Olivia Robinson – Platform diving (5) (200.25)
• 400 freestyle relay (Payton Keiner (52.97), Hannah Baker (52.03), Brittany Weiss (51.86), Colleen Donlin (52.43)) – 3:29.29*
* - Achieved the top time while competing as an exhibition
Notable • Liberty's 23-dual-meet winning streak is the second longest active winning streak in NCAA Division I women's swimming & diving. Only Stanford (26) has a longer active winning streak in dual meets than Liberty.
• The Lady Flames have completed their regular season with an undefeated record (15-0) for the first time in program history, also setting a program record for single-season victories. The previous program record for dual-meet wins in a season was 14, set in 2012-13 when the team went 14-2 overall.
• Liberty is now 13-2 all-time against Campbell and 6-0 versus Marshall.
• Pitto has won a team-best 20 individual events this season. She has won the 100 breaststroke and 200 breaststroke every time she has competed in those events in dual-meet action in her collegiate career.
• Finnigan recorded her 14th individual-event victory of the season, including her seventh straight 100 butterfly win.
• For the second week in a row, Liberty won all of the diving events contested at the meet.
• Liberty won nine out of 10 events today, giving the Lady Flames 18 event victories out of 20 total events this weekend.
• The Lady Flames posted 1-2-3 showings in one-meter diving (Lauren Chennault, Olivia Robinson, Abigail Egolf-Jensen) and the 400 IM (Mikayla Herich, Gianni Pitto, Emma Hazel). Liberty went 1-2 in the 1000 freestyle (Mikayla Herich, Arielle Arnett), 200 back (Payton Keiner, Emma Hazel), 200 breaststroke (Gianni Pitto, Chloe Rippey) and platform diving (Olivia Robinson, Abigail Egolf-Jensen).
Historically Speaking • Kendal Irwin entered Liberty's all-time top 10 performers list in platform diving, as her 130.50 ranks fifth in program history on platform.
Up Next For the first time in program history, the Lady Flames will host the Liberty Diving Invitational. The three-day meet will be held at the Liberty Natatorium next Friday through Sunday. Each day will begin with prelims starting at 11 a.m. and conclude with evening finals at 5 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram