Kennesaw State pulled out a tight first set, 26-24, on the way to a 3-0 sweep (26-24, 25-19, 25-18) of the visiting Liberty Lady Flames, Friday at the Convocation Center.
The Owls (21-5, 12-1 ASUN) rebounded from their loss at Stetson last Saturday, and remain in first place in the ASUN Conference standings. Liberty (13-14, 9-4) saw its season-best six-match winning streak come to an end. Kennesaw State won both regular-season meetings with Liberty this season.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Kennesaw State outhit Liberty, .321-.202. KSU also led in blocks (5-2), aces (5-4) and digs (44-43).
• Sydni Shelton led the Owls with 12 kills, hitting .524, while Lexi Broadwater dished out a match-high 38 assists and Karlee Groover collected a match-best 19 digs. Quin Sutphin posted three blocks.
• Casey Goodwin scored a match-high 14 kills for the second match in a row, while Anna Gragg sent down nine kills at a .421 pace. Hannah Morris dished out 31 assists, while Margaret Latchford collected 15 digs.
Match Summary SET 1 • KSU led set one, 20-16, following a block by Liesl Engelbrecht and Lauren Chastang. The Lady Flames battled back into the lead at 24-23 with an 8-3 run, capped by a Gragg kill. The Owls fought off set point and scored twice on serve for the 26-24 win.
• Kennesaw State outhit Liberty, .438-.361, in the opening set. Goodwin scored seven of Liberty's 19 set-one kills.
SET 2 • The hosts hit .359 during set two, while Liberty countered with a .182 hitting percentage in a 25-19 KSU victory.
• Chastang scored six second-set kills, while Maddie Jones served up two aces.
SET 3 • Kennesaw State raced out to a 20-13 advantage in the final set. Kruse served up two aces during a 4-0 Liberty surge. However, the Owls used a 5-1 run to clinch the match.
• Set three saw KSU outhit Liberty, .171-.057.
Quick Hits • Kennesaw State's Convocation Center will serve as the host site for the 2018 ASUN Volleyball Championship. The Lady Flames have already secured a spot in the six-team tournament.
• Goodwin has scored in double figures in 10 out of Liberty's 13 ASUN matches this season.
• With 1,691 career digs, Latchford needs nine more digs to become the fourth player in program history to register 1,700 or more digs.
• First-year Liberty Head Coach Trevor Johnson needs one more win for 100 for his collegiate coaching career. He has totaled a 99-28 overall record as a head coach between Concordia (CA) and Liberty.
Up Next The Lady Flames travel to Nashville, Tenn., where they will take on Lipscomb on Sunday at 2 p.m. ET. The Bisons edged Liberty, 3-2, on Oct. 5 in the Lady Flames' first-ever ASUN home match.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram