Liberty claimed its second sweep in a row, downing Jacksonville, 3-0 (25-21, 25-21, 25-18), Friday at the Vines Center.
The Lady Flames (9-13, 6-3 ASUN) opened the second half of the conference schedule the same way they began the ASUN season, with a 3-0 sweep. The Dolphins fall to 3-19 on the season, including 2-8 in ASUN play.
Notable Numbers • Liberty hit .292 for the match, while JU's .021 was the lowest hitting percentage by a Liberty opponent so far this season. The Lady Flames also led in kills (37-27), blocks (13-5), aces (4-3) and digs (39-38).
• Victoria Baptista scored a team-high 11 kills for the Lady Flames, hitting .588. Kainah Williams nearly recorded a double-double, hitting .615 (9-1-13) with a career-high 10 blocks. Casey Goodwin also flirted with a double-double, totaling eight kills, a team-high nine digs and six blocks. Hannah Morris dished out a team-high 19 assists.
• Mallory Mattingly led all players with 12 kills for the Dolphins, while Natalie Wehner collected a match-high 14 digs and Natalie Martin dished out a match-best 21 assists.
Match Summary SET 1 • Jacksonville got off to a fast start, leading 10-5 after 15 serves. The Dolphins still led, 15-11, before Liberty staged a 9-0 run that included two kills and three blocks from Williams and eight straight points served by Anna Gragg to give Liberty a 20-15 advantage. The Lady Flames held off a late rally, winning 25-21.
• The Lady Flames outhit Jacksonville, .360-.036, in set one, as Williams factored in on six out of Liberty's seven blocks.
SET 2 • Set two saw a 20-20 score before Goodwin scored a kill and assisted on a block to spark a 5-1 set-clinching surge for the Lady Flames.
• Liberty hit just .139 during the middle session, but Jacksonville attacked at a -.073 clip.
SET 3 • The Lady Flames made quick work of the Dolphins in the third set, outhitting them, .429-.143 on the way to a 25-18 victory.
• Williams connected on all six of her attack attempts during set three.
Quick Hits • Williams' 10 blocks are tied for the most by a Lady Flame in a single match this season, equaling Kailey Macy's 10 rejections against Lipscomb, Oct. 15. This is the first time since 2011 (Jade Craycraft, Loren Thomas) that two Lady Flames posted a 10-block match in the same season.
• Craycraft and Thomas were two of 12 Liberty volleyball alumnae honored in between the second and third sets of tonight's match.
• Liberty has now posted double-digit block totals in six out of nine conference matches, and 10 matches overall this season. • Freshman Lilly Kruse earned her first career start, becoming the first Liberty true freshman to start a match on the court this season.
Up Next Liberty will face North Florida on Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Vines Center. The Lady Flames swept the Ospreys, 3-0, on Sept. 21 in their first-ever ASUN match, in Jacksonville, Fla.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram