Gameday Central Links Complete Match Notes Florida Gulf Coast at Liberty
Match Date: Friday, Oct. 12
Match Time: 6 p.m.
Live Video: ESPN+ ($) Live Stats: StatBroadcast Stetson at Liberty
Match Date: Sunday, Oct. 14
Match Time: Noon
Live Video: ESPN+ ($) Live Stats: StatBroadcast Liberty (7-12, 4-2 ASUN) wraps up the first half of conference play this weekend, as FGCU (13-6, 6-1) and Stetson (12-7, 4-3) become the first volleyball teams from Florida to play in the Vines Center. FGCU, the 2017 ASUN runner-up, was voted this year's favorite in the preseason coaches' poll, while Stetson has already won nine more matches this year than in 2017, when the Hatters went 3-23 overall.
Liberty will face FGCU for the first time ever in volleyball. The Lady Flames have won both meetings all-time against Stetson, sweeping the Hatters in DeLand, Fla., on Oct. 26, 1990 before posting a 3-1 win on Sept. 10, 2010 in a match hosted by Elon.
Starting Rotation 1. The Lady Flames fell to two ASUN unbeatens last weekend, in Lipscomb (3-2) and Kennesaw State (3-1). On Friday against Lipscomb, Liberty posted 19 blocks, the second most in a single match in the team's rally-scoring history (since 2001). Through six conference matches, Liberty is outhitting opponents, .255-.144, while registering 2.98 blocks per set as a team.
2. Trevor Johnson takes over the program after spending the last two seasons as top assistant and recruiting coordinator at Texas A&M. A very successful head coach at the NAIA level, he went 86-14 combined at Concordia (Calif.), leading the men's team to the 2013 NAIA national title.
3. Junior Casey Goodwin has been Liberty's leading attacker in conference play, averaging 3.26 kills per set while hitting .297. She has reached double figures in kills in five out of six ASUN matches so far, including a team-high 15 kills on Sunday against Kennesaw State.
4. Senior Margaret Latchford passed Jennifer Belk (2001-04) into fifth place in program history in career digs on Sunday. With 1,602 career digs, she needs 38 more digs to enter fourth place. She has posted a season-high 23 digs twice this season, giving her 21 career 20-dig matches.
5. Junior Hannah Morris averages 9.57 assists per set in ASUN play. Her career-high nine blocks on Friday against Lipscomb were the most blocks by a Liberty setter since Jade Craycraft's 10 blocks at Radford, Sept. 23, 2011. Morris dished out a career-high 52 assists at NJIT on Sept. 30.
6. Redshirt freshman Kailey Macy recorded a career-high 10 blocks against Lipscomb on Friday. Her 10 blocks were the most by a Liberty player since Kendle Rollins' 11 blocks against High Point, Nov. 8, 2013, and the most by a Liberty freshman in rally-scoring history.
7. Junior Anna Gragg, a 2017 All-Big South first-team selection, is ranked in the top 10 in the ASUN in both hitting percentage (7th - .304) and blocks per set (9th - 1.01). She needs 15 more blocks to reach 300 for her career. Gragg set a program freshman record with 108 blocks in 2016.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram