In a match of unbeaten ASUN squads that featured 31 ties and 13 lead changes, Lipscomb rallied for a five-set (23-25, 25-21, 20-25, 25-21, 15-13) win at Liberty, Friday at the Vines Center.
Lipscomb (10-7, 5-0 ASUN) finished the night in a tie with defending ASUN champion Kennesaw State atop the league standings. Liberty (7-11, 4-1) is now tied for third place with Florida Gulf Coast, following a loss in its first-ever ASUN home match.
Notable Numbers • Liberty hit .157 for the match, and recorded a season-high 19 blocks, helping hold the Bisons to a .134 hitting percentage. Lipscomb led in aces (5-2) and digs (70-60), but also posted 41 attack errors and 14 service errors.
• Anna Gragg led Liberty with a season-high 13 kills while adding six blocks, while Kailey Macy registered eight kills and a career-high 10 blocks. Hannah Morris contributed 37 assists, eight digs and a career-high nine blocks.
• Margaret Latchford collected a team-high 14 digs, while Casey Goodwin recorded 11 kills and five blocks.
• Lipscomb's Megan Kuper (21 kills, 12 digs) and Carlyle Nusbaum (18 kills, 16 digs) both posted double-doubles, while Morgan Elmore dished out a match-high 52 assists and Lauren Anderson collected a match-high 19 digs.
Match Summary SET 1 • A four-point run put Liberty ahead in set one, as Morris' kill made it 22-21. Lipscomb scored the next two points. After Amelia Johnson's set-tying kill, the Bisons scored the final two points, with Ashley Maher's ace sealing it, 25-23.
• Set one saw Liberty outhit Lipscomb, .333-.263. Kuper led all players with six first-set kills.
SET 2 • Lipscomb pulled to within 23-21 in set two, before back-to-back Macy kills gave Liberty the 25-21 victory, tying the match.
• The Lady Flames hit .258 in the second set, compared to .108 for the Bisons.
SET 3 • Liberty led the third session by just one, 20-19, before Gragg's kill spurred a 5-1 run to the finish, propelling the Lady Flames to a 25-20 win.
• During set three, Liberty outhit Lipscomb, .147-.028, while Gragg led all players with five kills.
SET 4 • The Bisons built a quick 7-1 lead in set four, but Liberty battled back to tie it three times. After the Lady Flames tied it at 20-all, Kuper's kill sparked Lipscomb to a 5-1 run and 25-21 set victory. • The Lady Flames posted seven blocks during the fourth set, holding Lipscomb to a .158 hitting percentage, but Liberty hit .000.
SET 5 • Liberty led 8-7 at the court change in set five following Gragg's kill. The visitors then staged a 6-1 surge, leading 13-9 after a kill by Nusbaum. The Lady Flames drew to within one, 14-13, on Goodwin's kill, but a service error ended the match.
• Nusbaum scored five set-five kills, as Lipscomb out-hit Liberty, .100-.000.
Quick Hits • Liberty's 19 blocks were the second most in the program's rally-scoring history, and most since posting 20.5 blocks at Radford, Sept. 23, 2011. Morris' nine blocks tonight were the most by a Liberty setter since Jade Craycraft's 10 blocks at Radford in 2011.
• Macy's 10 blocks were the most by any Lady Flame since Kendle Rollins registered 11 blocks against High Point on Nov. 8, 2013. Macy is one of seven Liberty players to record at least one 10-block match during the rally-scoring era.
• Liberty has posted double-digit blocks in each of the last four matches, giving the team eight matches with 10 or more blocks this season. The last time Liberty had four straight matches with 10+ blocks was Sept. 3-10, 2016.
• Friday's match featured the ASUN Preseason Player of the Year (Lipscomb's Carlyle Nusbaum) and Fan-Voted ASUN Preseason Player of the Year (Liberty's Casey Goodwin).
Up Next The Lady Flames will host defending ASUN champion Kennesaw State, Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Vines Center.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram