Liberty hit a season-high .387, rolling to a 3-0 sweep (25-12, 25-20, 25-22) over Jacksonville on Saturday at Swisher Gymnasium.
With the win, Liberty (5-10) opens its first year of ASUN play at 2-0 following back-to-back sweeps of North Florida and Jacksonville this weekend. The Dolphins fall to 1-14, 0-3 in conference play after losing for the eighth match in a row.
Notable Numbers • Liberty outhit Jacksonville, .387-.115, for the match. The Lady Flames registered 12 blocks and led in digs (34-23). The Dolphins led 7-3 in aces.
• Casey Goodwin hit a career-best .684, with 13 kills on 19 attempts, adding three aces and five blocks. Jenna Culhan added 12 kills, while Anna Gragg posted a match-high seven blocks. Hannah Morris dished out a match-high 28 assists and Payton Carter collected a match-best 11 digs.
• Jacksonville's Mallory Mattingly led all players with 14 kills, while Sara Dyslin served up three aces and Natalie Martin dished out 25 assists.
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty jumped out of the gates in set one, racing to a 9-1 lead on the way to a 25-12 victory. The Lady Flames hit .364 during the opening set, while JU hit -.037 thanks in part to Liberty's six blocks.
SET 2 • The visitors continued their hot hitting into the second set, attacking at a .375 clip while winning 25-20. Jacksonville hit .278 to keep it close.
• Goodwin and Mattingly both sent down six kills for their respective teams in the middle session.
SET 3 • The Dolphins tied set three at 21-21 after a Mattingly kill and an ace from Dyslin. However, Liberty pushed together three points, setting up match point. Hanna Marchand scored a kill to fight off match point before Goodwin scored the match-clinching kill for the second night in a row, closing out a 25-22 decision.
• Liberty attacked at a .429 pace in the final set, compared to .061 for the Dolphins. Culhan scored six set-three kills to lead all players.
Liberty Head Coach Trevor Johnson "I thought Casey (Goodwin) played really well tonight, with 13 kills and zero errors, hitting .684! Those are great numbers. She also had three aces and she was ripping her serve. Jenna (Culhan) had another stellar performance with 12 kills and hit .440. I'm happy with our offensive production with a team hitting average of .387. Hannah (Morris) did a great job of distributing the ball. We also did some nice things defensively by serving tough, which led to a solid blocking performance of 12 blocks. Good weekend for us and now it's time to get home and get ready for next weekend."
Quick Hits • Goodwin's .684 hitting percentage is tied for the fifth-highest individual hitting percentage (with 12+ kills) in a single match in the program's rally-scoring history. It is the highest efficiency by a Lady Flame since Loren Thomas hit .700 (15-1-20) at Georgetown, Sept. 18, 2012.
• After hitting .320 at North Florida last night, Liberty hit .387 tonight. It is the first time since Nov. 4-5, 2016 (vs. Presbyterian and High Point) that Liberty hit .300 or better in back-to-back matches.
• Liberty is off to its best start in league play since opening the 2015 Big South schedule at 4-0.
• Liberty's 25-12 win in set one was its largest margin of victory in a single set since defeating UNC Asheville 25-11 during set three of a 3-0 sweep on Nov. 17, 2017.
Up Next Liberty will play two more matches on the road next weekend, competing at fellow ASUN newcomer North Alabama on Friday at 8 p.m. before playing at NJIT on Sunday at 1 p.m.