Casey Goodwin scored a match-high 16 kills at North Florida, and served up two aces late in set three.
Liberty swept North Florida (25-23, 25-13, 25-23) in the Lady Flames' first-ever ASUN Conference match, Friday at UNF Arena.
Liberty (4-10, 1-0 ASUN) snaps a three-match winless streak, winning for the first time since a 3-0 sweep of Virginia on Sept. 11. North Florida (5-11, 0-1) drops its ASUN opener, its first of three matches in three days.
Notable Numbers • Liberty hit a season-best .320 for the match, compared to .121 for North Florida. The Lady Flames led in aces (4-2) and digs (45-32), while both teams posted six blocks.
• Casey Goodwin scored a match-high 16 kills at a .379 pace, adding two aces. Hannah Morris dished out a match-best 40 assists, while Margaret Latchford led all players with 18 digs.
• Anna Gragg chipped in with 10 kills for Liberty, while Kainah Williams posted four blocks and Payton Carter collected a career-high 10 digs.
• North Florida's Gabby O'Connell recorded a team-high 10 kills and four blocks, while Callie Workman collected 13 digs.
Match Summary SET 1 • The opening set saw North Florida take a 21-20 lead. However, the Lady Flames responded with a 3-0 run, getting two kills from Gragg and one from Amelia Johnson. The two teams sided out from that point on, with Gragg's kill sealing the 25-23 win.
• Gragg led all players with seven set-one kills, as Liberty outhit UNF, .217-.189.
SET 2 • Liberty posted a 25-13 win in set two, outhitting the Ospreys .591 (14-1-22) to .030 (9-8-33).
• Williams scored on all five of her attack attempts during the second set, while Jenna Culhan served up two aces.
SET 3 • UNF appeared to be on its way to extending the match, leading set three 19-13 and later 23-20. Liberty's Goodwin took over from that point on, scoring a kill and then serving up a pair of aces. She capped off the comeback with a kill to clinch the set and match, 25-23.
• Liberty outhit the Ospreys, .276-.238, during the final set. Goodwin scored eight set-three kills to help put the match away.
Quick Hits • Liberty's 25-13 win in set two was its largest margin of victory in a single set so far this season. The last time the Lady Flames won a set by 12 or more points was Nov. 17, 2017, when Liberty defeated UNC Asheville 25-11 during set three of a 3-0 sweep.
• The Lady Flames' .320 hitting percentage was their highest since hitting .457 against UNC Asheville on Nov. 17, 2017 in the Big South Volleyball Championship. The last time Liberty hit .300 or better was Oct. 20, 2017 when the Lady Flames hit .333 in a 3-0 sweep at Winthrop.
• Liberty is now 21-7 all-time in conference-opening matches.
Up Next The Lady Flames remain in Jacksonville to take on the Jacksonville Dolphins tomorrow night at 6 p.m. at Swisher Gymnasium.