Jenna Culhan recorded her fourth straight double-digit kill match.
Liberty and College of Charleston played a back-and-forth match on Friday, with the Cougars prevailing in four sets (28-30, 26-24, 26-24, 25-14) at Pitt's Fitzgerald Fieldhouse.
College of Charleston (8-4) extended its winning streak to six matches with the win, while Liberty falls to 3-8 on the season. CofC has won both meetings in the all-time series, with the last meeting being a 3-2 Cougars victory on Sept. 14, 2002.
This weekend's Pitt Invite was added to the schedule last-minute due to the projected path of Hurricane Florence. Liberty was originally slated to compete in a tournament at SMU this weekend before plans changed.
Notable Numbers • For the match, College of Charleston led in hitting percentage (.297-.246), blocks (11-9) and digs (37-33), while both teams served up six aces.
• The Cougars' Kennedy Madison scored a match-high 17 kills, while teammate Devon Rachel totaled 16 kills. Allison Beckman dished out a match-high 45 assists.
• Jenna Culhan reached double-figures in kills for the fourth match in a row for Liberty, scoring a team-high 14 kills, while Casey Goodwin added 11 kills. Hannah Morris recorded 30 assists, while Anna Gragg posted a match-high six blocks.
Match Summary SET 1 • Set one featured 17 ties and seven lead changes. Liberty scored the last two points on back-to-back kills by Culhan and Baptista, pulling out a 30-28 decision.
• Culhan scored seven kills during the opening set, while Mandy Napierala countered with six kills for the Cougars.
SET 2 • College of Charleston evened the match with a 26-24 win in the second set. Liberty fought off set point at 24-23 when Gragg tied it with a kill. However, the Cougars scored on the next two serves to tie the match at 1-1.
• Rachel led all players with nine set-two kills.
SET 3 • Liberty fought off five CofC set-point chances in the third, coming all the way back from 24-19 to tie it at 24-all with a run that included two blocks by Payton Carter. The Cougars rebounded to score the final two points for a 26-24 win.
• During the third set, Liberty outhit College of Charleston, .364-.355.
SET 4 • The Cougars pulled away for a 25-14 set-four win, outhitting the Lady Flames, .480-.185, during the match's final set.
Quick Hits • College of Charleston received an at-large berth to the NCAA Tournament last year, the first of three opponents on Liberty's schedule (also High Point and Kennesaw State) to appear in the 2017 NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship.
• Prior to today, the last time that Liberty played in three straight extended sets to start a match was Sept. 7, 2012 at Kent State, when the Lady Flames won in five sets (28-26, 26-24, 25-27, 17-25, 15-11).
• Senior Margaret Latchford became the seventh player in program history to register 1,500 or more career digs, as she ended the match with exactly 1,500 career digs.
Up Next Liberty will play twice tomorrow, beginning with a 10 a.m. meeting against former Big South rival High Poin, who made back-to-back appearances in the NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship in 2016 and 2017.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram