Complete Match Notes The Liberty volleyball team (2-4) will play four matches in a four-day span, beginning with three contests at the Maryland Invitational. While playing in the home state of Kaitlyn Young (Bowie), the Lady Flames will take on South Carolina (6-1) for the second week in a row, along with matches against 2017 Postseason NIVC participant Colgate (2-4) and the host Maryland Terrapins (5-1).
On Tuesday, Liberty opens its home schedule against Virginia (2-4) at 6 p.m. at the Vines Center. The Lady Flames won a spirited five-set match over the Cavaliers in Virginia's last visit to Lynchburg, Sept. 23, 2014. That was Liberty's first win over Virginia in volleyball since Nov. 1, 1979. In all, Liberty plays 16 out of its first 17 matches away from the Vines Center. The Lady Flames will spend the whole month of October at home, with a program-record nine straight home matches from Oct. 5-28.
How to Follow the Lady Flames Live stats will be available for all of Liberty's matches. On Sunday, Liberty's match against Maryland will be available to view, for a fee, through BTN2Go. Tuesday's match between Liberty and Virginia can be seen online, for a fee, on ESPN+.
Starting Rotation 1. Liberty has gone 1-2 in each of its first two weekend tournaments this season. Last weekend at the Rice Invitational, the Lady Flames swept Houston Baptist and fell to South Carolina (3-1) and Rice (3-0).
2. Trevor Johnson takes over the program after spending the last two seasons as top assistant and recruiting coordinator at Texas A&M. A very successful head coach at the NAIA level, he went 86-14 combined at Concordia (Calif.), leading the men's team to the 2013 NAIA national title.
3. Senior outside hitter Victoria Baptista was named to the Rice Adidas I All-Tournament Team last weekend. She leads the team in total kills, and is the first Liberty player since Kelly Haseman in 2010 to collect 10 or more digs in each of the first six matches of a season.
4. Junior middle blocker Anna Gragg is a two-time Big South All-Conference performer, including first-team honors in 2017. She reached double-figures in kills in each of the first two matches this season and leads the Lady Flames in hitting percentage (.307) and total blocks (23).
5. Junior right-side hitter Casey Goodwin, the 2018 Fan-Voted ASUN Preseason Player of the Year, was a second-team all-conference selection last year. She is the first player in the program's rally-scoring history with at least one 20-kill match as a freshman, sophomore and junior.
6. Senior libero Margaret Latchford is ranked ninth in program history and 30th among all active NCAA Division I players with 1,447 career digs. Her 23 digs on Aug. 24 against Indiana State were tied for the most by a Lady Flame in a season opener in the rally-scoring era.
7. Liberty is 21-8 in home openers since 1989. Liberty had won its home opener eight straight years prior to a 3-0 setback to Maryland in the team's first home match last season.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram