Scores & Schedule Close keyboard_arrow_down

Team News

Habuda Hands Radford its First Home Loss in Double OT

October 4, 2017  Radford, Va.  RSS
|   Share
Habuda Hands Radford its First Home Loss in Double OT

Liberty women's soccer team posted a season-high 27 shots on the road against Radford looking to hand the Highlanders their first loss at home this season. For the second straight game, Isabella Habuda would score the game-winning goal in overtime as Liberty defeated Radford, 1-0.

Liberty improves to 5-5-3 and 3-0-1 in the Big South, while Radford drops to 8-5 and 1-3 in conference.

The Lady Flames were effective all night on the attack, but struggled to capitalize in the scoring column. It took 102 minutes, but in double overtime, Aly Hill was able to carry the ball from the midfield to the box where she laid a ball right in front of the goal for Habuda. The senior would net her third game-winning goal in conference play going far post past the goalkeeper.

Against the most potent offense in the Big South, Liberty held Radford to two shots below its season average. Radford went into the game averaging 2.55 goals per contest and Liberty's backline and freshman goalkeeper, Melody Jayroe, shut the Highander out for 102 minutes for the Lady Flames' third shutout during Big South play. For the game, Liberty outshot Radford, 27-13.

In order to limit Radford's high octane offense, the Lady Flames came out of the gates on the attack attempting four shots during the first 18 minutes of action. While Liberty's offense was maintaining possession, the Lady Flames' backline held Radford to one shot in the first 40 minutes.

As Liberty Head Coach Lang Wedemeyer made 13 substitutions in the first half, he gave Radford many different looks including freshman Brenna Warren, who received her first playing time this season. Liberty came close to scoring a goal in the 10th minute as Gabrielle Farrell placed Liberty's first shot on goal. Farrell was able to make a few moves and enter the left side of the box where she hit a low shot for the far post. The shot attempt went past the goalkeeper but Radford's backline built a wall in front of goal to keep Liberty scoreless.

Radford closed out the first half being able to maintain possession more, but Liberty was still able to frustrate the Highlander's forwards not allowing a shot on goal in the first half. As the game went into halftime scoreless, Liberty outshot Radford, 8-4, in the first 45 minutes.

Liberty's offense did not let up in the second half as they continued to press, looking for that first goal. As the Lady Flames attempted 16 shots in the second half, their best opportunities came within the final 10 minutes. In the last 10 minutes of regulation, Liberty had three shots on goal within the box but Radford's Courtenay Kaplan came up with key saves to send the game into overtime.

Liberty's Ashleigh Hill came close to ending the game in the 96th minute with a shot from 20-yards out, but Kaplan would come up with another clutch save to keep the Lady Flames scoreless. Radford looked to end the game with less than a minute in the first overtime with a shot on goal but Jayroe would come up with a save.

Liberty will return home to close out this week's play at home against Campbell. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. at Osborne Stadium.