Complete Game Notes Due to cold weather in the forecast for Lynchburg tomorrow, the softball game between North Carolina A&T and Liberty will now be played at 4 p.m. on Tuesday at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium.
The game had previously been scheduled for 6 p.m., but has been changed to 4 p.m.
Liberty (12-12) wraps up a six-game homestand on Tuesday, hosting North Carolina A&T (7-15-1) for a single game at 4 p.m. at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium. This will be the Lady Flames' final tuneup before conference play begins.
Liberty leads the all-time series against North Carolina A&T, 30-3, winning each of the last six meetings. The Lady Flames swept the Aggies in a doubleheader (13-5, 9-8) on April 10, 2012, in the teams' most recent meeting.
Lady Flames at a Glance Liberty's bats caught fire during the Liberty Softball Classic, hitting .374 as a team while averaging over eight runs per contest. The Lady Flames opened the home schedule with a win for the third year in a row, and went 3-2 on the weekend.
The Lady Flames lead the Big South with a .313 batting average and 40 doubles. Tori Zavodny bats .415 to lead the team, while Autumn Bishop (.373) paces the conference in runs scored (23) and doubles (8). Bishop's twin sister, Amber, bats .372 while leading the team with three homers and 18 RBI. Jasmeen Click (.347) has stolen a team-high eight bases, while Sarah Robertson bats .329 with 17 RBI.
In the circle, Liberty leads the Big South with 115 strikeouts. Julia DiMartino boasts a team-best 2.48 ERA, while Kenzie Friesen (4-1, 3.86) and Chase Cassady (4.17) have both tossed one shutout this season.
How to Follow the Lady Flames Live stats will be available for Tuesday's contest. StatBroadcast live stats will appear courtesy of Liberty Athletics Communications. Tuesday's game will also air on 90.9 FM The Light, with Jamie Hall serving as play-by-play announcer and Paul Wetmore providing analysis.
Quick Hits - Liberty has won all three of its home openers all-time at Liberty Softball Stadium. - The Lady Flames drew a program-record 11 walks against Rhode Island, last Thursday. - Liberty Softball Stadium was voted sixth-best softball stadium by FloSoftball.com. - Autumn Bishop was named Big South Freshman of Week twice this season. - Sarah Robertson tied a program record with three doubles against NCCU, Saturday. - Tori Zavodny is the 13th player in program history to score 100 career runs. - Five different Lady Flames have recorded at least one pitching win this season. - Eight Lady Flames bat .300 or better. - Six Liberty freshmen have started at least one game this season.
Liberty vs. North Carolina A&T (Liberty leads, 30-3) Current Streak: Liberty W6 Last Meeting: Liberty 9, North Carolina A&T 8 (April 10, 2012 – Lynchburg, Va. – G2) Last N.C. A&T Win: North Carolina A&T 2, Liberty 1 (March 31, 2003 – Greensboro, N.C.) North Carolina A&T is off to a 7-15-1 start, including 2-0 against Big South opponents. The Aggies defeated Gardner-Webb twice this season. N.C. A&T will be Liberty's third MEAC opponent of 2017, as the Lady Flames are 3-0 combined against Morgan State and North Carolina Central.
The Aggies are led by Kimberly Brunson, who bats .367 with three homers and 12 RBI. Zadasia Waddell hits .366, while also posting a 5-8 record and 4.62 ERA. Alyssa Green boasts a .360 average and Zadia Davis hits .305.
Liberty Quick Notes - The Lady Flames set a new program record for single-game walks, drawing 11 free passes against Rhode Island, last Thursday. The previous record was nine.
- Liberty hit a season-high seven doubles on Friday against Rhode Island, the team's most since a program-record eight two-baggers against North Carolina A&T, March 31, 2003.
- Liberty's 15 runs in a 15-5 win over Rhode Island on Thursday were the team's most since a 15-4 victory at Charleston Southern, April 7, 2013.
- With its 11-1 win over North Carolina Central on Saturday, Liberty has posted as many run-rule victories, six, as it did during the entire 2016 season.
- Liberty has now won its home opener each of the first three seasons at the Liberty Softball Stadium.
- Five different Lady Flames (Kenzie Friesen, 4-1; Chase Cassady, 3-5; Elizabeth Engler, 2-2; Julia DiMartino, 2-4; Stephanie Marlowe, 1-0) have all recorded at least one win, the first time since 2004 that five Liberty pitchers posted at least one victory.
Player Quick Notes - Sarah Robertson went 3-for-3 with a career-high three doubles, tying her career high with four RBI, Saturday against North Carolina Central. Her three doubles tied the program record, last set by Amber Donovan against Savannah State, Feb. 24, 2012.
- Tori Zavodny batted .636 with six runs scored, three doubles, one homer and five RBI at the Liberty Softball Classic. On Saturday, she became the 13th player in program history to score 100 career runs. She currently ranks in the top 10 in program history in career stolen bases (5th), triples (5th), walks (t-7th) and sacrifice flies (t-10th).
- Autumn Bishop, two-time Big South Freshman of the Week, hit her first career home run, Friday against Rhode Island. She tied the program single-game record with two triples, Feb. 12 against Morgan State.
- Amber Bishop, named Big South Player of the Week after the first weekend of the season, leads the team with three homers and 18 RBI.
- Jasmeen Click has started at center all 24 games, batting ninth each time. She is hitting .347 while leading the team with eight stolen bases and four outfield assists.
- Deidra See (.310) hit her first homer of the season on Thursday against Rhode Island.
- Emily Sweat (.308) has posted three two-RBI games this season.
- 2015 Big South Freshman of the Year Alexia Taylor (.302) is the team's active leader with 132 career hits. She is one of just four players in program history to record 100 or more hits by the end of their sophomore season.
- During the season opener against Chattanooga, Feb. 10, Amber Bishop hit a double in her first collegiate at bat, while Kayla Harris singled in her first at bat. They are the first Lady Flames since Kelby Allen in 2012 to record a hit in their first collegiate at bat.
- Kenzie Friesen leads the team with four wins, including a one-hit shutout of Morgan State on Feb. 26. Her four wins are two shy of her career-high six, set in 2015.
- Chase Cassady struck out a season-high 10 batters in five-winning win over N.C. Central on Saturday. She missed her career high by one. Last season, Cassady ranked 34th in the nation in strikeouts per seven innings.
- 2016 Big South All-Conference first-team pitcher Julia DiMartino leads the team with a 2.48 ERA. Last year, she set program freshman records in wins, shutouts, strikeouts and no-hitters.
- Freshman Elizabeth Engler became the first Lady Flame since Katie Phillips in 1996 to win each of her first two career pitching appearances.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram