Liberty has won 24 consecutive meetings with Winthrop at the Vines Center.
Game Day Central Liberty's Game Notes Game Time: 2 p.m. Official Tipoff: 2:05 p.m.
TV Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV WFFP ESPN3 Big South Network Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo Sideline Reporter: Bailey Meador Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WQLU 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Today's Game Liberty (5-13, 4-3 Big South) will attempt to halt a two-game losing streak on Saturday, when Winthrop (2-17, 1-6 Big South) visits the Vines Center. Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m. for the 60th all-time meeting between the Lady Flames and Eagles.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty has suffered consecutive losses at UNC Asheville and Radford, just its third back-to-back Big South defeats during Carey Green's 18 seasons as head coach. The Lady Flames have never lost three straight Big South games under Green's direction.
2) Liberty enters Saturday's game on a four-game home winning streak. The Lady Flames have also recorded 24 consecutive home wins over Winthrop, with the Eagles' last victory at the Vines Center coming on Feb. 24, 1996. The Eagles have lost their last 29 games played away from Rock Hill, since a 60-53 win at Presbyterian on Feb. 28, 2015.
3) Liberty and Winthrop are two of the youngest teams in the Big South this season, as seven of the Lady Flames' 14 active players and six of the Eagles' 11 active players are freshmen. Freshmen are scoring 61 percent of Liberty's points and 48.5 percent of Winthrop's points on the year.
4) Liberty is averaging 75.1 ppg in Big South play, thanks to a diverse scoring attack. Audrey Rettstatt matched her career high with 14 points at Radford on Tuesday, becoming the sixth different Lady Flame to lead the scoring during the team's first seven conference games.
5) Four-time Big South Freshman of the Week Keyen Green leads the Big South and ranks No. 2 among the nation's freshmen in rebounding at 8.6 rpg.
Liberty vs. Winthrop at a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 49-10. Current Streak: Liberty has won three consecutive meetings. Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 29-1. Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won 24 consecutive meetings. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 59, Winthrop 42 (March 1, 2016 at Winthrop) Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 77, Winthrop 61 (Jan. 16, 2016) Winthrop's Last Series Victory: Winthrop 63, Liberty 58 (Jan. 20, 2015 at Winthrop) Winthrop's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Winthrop 55, Liberty 46 (Feb. 24, 1996)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 408-154 (18th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Winthrop: 35-4
Winthrop Head Coach: Kevin Cook Overall Record (Seasons): 115-133 (Ninth Season) Record at Winthrop (Seasons): 68-77 (Fifth Season) Record vs. Liberty: 2-7
Notes and Anecdotes • Liberty has won 24 consecutive home meetings with Winthrop, and 23 of those victories have come by 10+ points, including last season's 77-61 triumph over the Eagles.
• Like Liberty, Winthrop has a freshman-heavy roster. Six of the Eagles' 11 active players are freshmen, and they have combined to score 48.5 percent of the team's points this season.
• The Eagles are anchored by senior forward Erica Williams. She leads the team and ranks fourth in the Big South with 13.4 ppg. For her career, Williams has racked up 1,528 points. By comparison, the 15 players on Liberty's current roster have totaled 1,359 career points. Williams has fared well against the Lady Flames during her career, averaging 18.8 ppg and posting three 20-point games in her six meetings with Liberty.
• Winthrop picked up its first Big South victory on Tuesday, recording a 78-72 home win over Longwood. The triumph halted the Eagles' 17-game losing streak.
• Both of Winthrop's victories this season have come at the Winthrop Coliseum. The Eagles are 0-9 away from home and have lost 29 consecutive road/neutral games since a 60-53 victory at Presbyterian on Feb. 28, 2015.
• Winthrop played arguably the toughest non-conference schedule of any Big South team this season, including meetings with Florida State, Michigan, Baylor and Ohio State.
On This Date Liberty is 7-7 all-time when playing on Jan. 28. The Lady Flames have won four straight Jan. 28 contests since an 80-64 loss to UNCG on Jan. 28, 1997.
Bouncing Back Liberty has lost back-to-back Big South Conference games for just the third time in Carey Green's 18 seasons as head coach. The Lady Flames have never lost three consecutive Big South contests under Green and have not lost three conference games in a row since the 1995-96 season.
Spreading the Wealth Audrey Rettstatt tied her career high with 14 points at Radford on Tuesday, leading the Lady Flames in scoring. She became Liberty's sixth different leading scorer in its first seven Big South games. The Lady Flames' other leading scorers in conference play have been Lela Sellers (at CSU), Keyen Green (vs. HPU), Iva Ilic (vs. PC, at Asheville), KK Barbour (at GWU) and Sheana Vega (vs. Longwood).
A Look Back at the Lady Flames' 76-68 Loss at Radford on Tuesday • Big South co-leader Radford enjoyed one of its best shooting nights of the season, Tuesday at the Dedmon Center, hitting 80 percent (8-of-10) from three-point range and 76.9 percent (20-of-26) from the foul line. As a result, the Highlanders held off Liberty, 76-68.
• Radford's 15-2 burst early in the third quarter pushed the Highlanders' lead from two to 15. Liberty got no closer than six points the rest of the evening and dropped back-to-back Big South games for just the third time in Carey Green's 18 seasons as head coach.
• Liberty fell to 1-10 away from home on the year. The Lady Flames racked up 42 points in the paint but shot only 50 percent (7-of-14) from the free throw line. Audrey Rettstatt tied her career high with 14 points, 13 of which came in the first quarter.
New Year's Resolution After averaging 54.9 ppg on 32.5 percent from the field and 24.5 percent from three-point range in 11 2016 contests, the Lady Flames have exploded for 75.1 ppg on 43.4 percent from the floor and 39.7 percent from beyond the arc in 2017's first seven outings.
What Can Green Do For You? Keyen Green headlines the Lady Flames' successful freshman class. The Big South Freshman of the Week on Dec. 5, Jan. 2, Jan. 9 and Jan. 16, Green leads the conference and ranks No. 2 among the nation's freshmen in rebounding at 8.6 rpg. In her last 13 games, Green has recorded six double-doubles and three 20-point outings. She is the first Lady Flame since Reagan Miller in 2011-12 to win three straight Big South Freshman of the Week honors and four in one season.
Fantastic Freshmen Liberty's seven freshmen have combined to score 61 percent of the team's points this season, led by Keyen Green's team-high 11.7 ppg. Five of the Lady Flames' top six scorers on the year are freshmen.
Winning the Battle of the Boards Liberty has outrebounded eight consecutive opponents and has grabbed 20 or more offensive rebounds eight times this season. The Lady Flames currently rank No. 3 nationally with 19.1 offensive boards per game and No. 16 with a +9.2 rebound margin.
The Container is Half Full The Lady Flames are 107-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals, including 2-0 this season. Liberty has won the last 34 times it has shot 50 percent or better, since an 83-77 loss to Kentucky in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship (March 20, 2010).
The Container is Half Empty Liberty has held 17 straight opponents below 50 percent field goal shooting, and only three teams in the last 115 games have connected on at least half of their field goal attempts against the Lady Flames. Player Trends #3 Nene Johnson • Leads the team and ranks seventh in the Big South with 2.8 apg, while also pacing the Lady Flames in steals (1.2 spg)
• Averaging 10.1 ppg during the first seven Big South games, as compared with 5.3 ppg in non-conference play
• After shooting 11.1 percent (1-of-9) from three-point range during the season's first 10 games, has made 50 percent (7-of-14) in the last eight outings #10 Kierra Johnson-Graham • Has connected on 13 of her last 14 free throw attempts over the last four games
• Averaging 8.8 rpg over her last five outings and has led the team in rebounding in each of the last three games (vs. Longwood, at UNC Asheville and at Radford) #12 Audrey Rettstatt • Led the team with 14 points at Radford on Tuesday, equaling her career high. She scored 13 points in the first quarter, tying the team record for most points in a single quarter.
• Has scored more points this season (96) than she did in her first three years combined (60) #14 Lela Sellers • Leads the team in minutes played (28.2 mpg)
• Tallied 10 points at Radford on Tuesday, giving her back-to-back double-digit scoring efforts for the first time in her career
• Averaging 8.9 ppg in her last nine games, while shooting 44.1 percent (15-of-34) from three-point range and 71.4 percent (15-of-21) from the foul line #21 Keyen Green • Four-time Big South Freshman of the Week (Dec. 5, Jan. 2, Jan. 9 & Jan. 16)
• Ranks No. 2 nationally among freshmen for rebounding (8.6 rpg) and No. 21 nationally overall for offensive rebounding (4.1 rpg)
• Tops the Big South in rebounding and offensive rebounding
• Leads the Lady Flames and ranks 10th in the Big South in scoring (11.7 ppg)
• During the first seven Big South games, Green is averaging 13.4 ppg and 9.3 rpg, while shooting 66.1 percent (37-of-56) from the field and posting three double-doubles. #24 Iva Ilic • Leads the team and ranks first among Big South freshmen with 24 three-pointers. She has made at least one triple in each of the last eight games.
• Averaging 9.4 ppg in conference play, aided by her 40.6 percent (13-of-32) three-point shooting #30 KK Barbour • After failing to score in double figures during her first 37 career games, Barbour recently posted three straight double-digit efforts (Jan. 10-17). Her latest was a 12-point, six-rebound performance against Longwood on Jan. 17.
• Hit 10 straight free throws between Jan. 10-21 and is shooting a team-best 74.1 percent from the line this season
• Averaging 7.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg and 1.0 bpg in 10 games since joining the starting lineup on Dec. 20
• Had not made a three-pointer during her first 33 career appearances, but is 9-of-18 (50 percent) from beyond the arc in her last nine games #32 Jordan Woods • Played a career-high 13 minutes during a Jan. 16, 2016 home win over Winthrop, totaling four points and four rebounds
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram