Game Day Central page
Liberty vs Winthrop notes
TV Coverage: WFFP TV (Lynchburg) ESPN3 Big South Network MASN The Walk Network • The Walk Network Game Day Distribution List Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Matt Warner Color Commentator: Paul Nazigian Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WPLY 98.5/105.9 FM (Lynchburg) Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Alan York
The Vines Center will host not only a Whiteout on Saturday but also a first-place showdown as the Liberty men's basketball team welcomes Winthrop to town. Both teams are tied in the Big South Conference with a 6-1 record and the Eagles go into the game ranked No. 25 in the College Insider Mid-Major Top 25 poll.
• This will be the 55th meeting all-time between Liberty and Winthrop.
• Last year Liberty split the season series, winning at the Vines Center 88-77.
• Liberty is 11-14 all-time at the Vines Center against Winthrop.
• Liberty and Winthrop go into Saturday's matchup tied for first place in the Big South at 6-1.
• Head coach Ritchie McKay is 1-5 all-time against Winthrop and 1-2 at the Vines Center.
• For just the second time in school history, Liberty has won its first four conference road games. In the 2010-11 season the Flames also won its first four road games in the Big South
• Liberty has held opponents in the Big South to 65 points or less in the last four games
• Ryan Kemrite moved into 43rd place with 668 career points, 15 points way from 42nd place (Nathan Day, 683)
• In Liberty's last game against Gardner-Webb, John Dawson and Ryan Kemrite each scored 20 points, shooting a combined to shoot 68.7 percent (11-16) from the field
• In the Big South Preseason Coaches' Poll, Liberty was picked to finish second in the conference, while Winthrop was voted win the conference.
• 2016 Big South Coach of the Year Ritchie McKay is in his fourth year as head coach at Liberty.
Liberty vs. Winthrop Series History (55th All-Time Meeting, Winthrop leads 16-38)
Liberty Head Coach: Ritchie McKay
Overall Record: 227-214 (15th season)
Record at Liberty: 62-56 (Fourth season)
Big South Record: 28-15
Record vs. Winthrop: 1-5
Winthrop Head Coach: Pat Kelsey
Overall Record: 90-56 (Fifth Season)
Record at Winthrop: Same
Big South Record: 47-28
Record vs. Liberty: 6-1
Notes and Anecdotes – Winthrop
• It will be a battle of two of the defense's in the Big South as Liberty ranks no. 1 allowing 64.8 points per game while Gardner-Webb is no. 4 at 70.1 points per contest
• During Liberty's seven conference games, the Flames have held the opponents leading scorer below their average in six games as leading scorers are averaging just 11.5 ppg against Liberty
• Winthrop defeated Illinois during non-conference (84-80, OT) for the Big South's best win in terms of RPI as Illinois ranks No. 46 in the country
• Winthrop's Keon Johnson ranks second in the Big South scoring 20.5 points per game this season and 23.1 ppg during conference
• Winthrop is currently ranked No. 25 in this week's College Insider Mid-Major Top 25 Poll
• Under Coach McKay the past two seasons, Liberty is 16-2 when they hold its opponents to 62 points or fewer
Team Talking Points:
• Liberty ranks No. 40 in scoring defense (64.8 ppg) and first in the Big South
• Dating back to last season starting on Jan. 19, 2016 the Flames have played a full conference season (18 games) and have posted a record of 14-4 in regular season games in the Big South with a winning percentage of .777
• In Liberty's last two games the Flames have shot 33-38 (86.8%) from the free-throw line with 1:15 left in regulation and overtime
• When Liberty has played on the road in Big South games, they have won by an average of 9.5 points
• In its past four conference games (vs. Campbell, at High Point, at Radford, vs. Gardner-Webb) Liberty has limited its opponents to 59.5 points per game
• The Flames made a season-high 10 consecutive field goals against Campbell
• Since receiving a DNP against Princeton, Lovell Cabbil has averaged 11.4 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.8 assists in the last 10 games
• Lovell Cabbil scored a career high 21 points against Campbell after surpassing his season high (14) in the first half scoring 15 points
• After being inserted into the starting lineup in the past eight games, Lovell Cabbil has averaged 12.1 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.7 assists
• Ryan Kemrite currently sits in 45th place on Liberty's all-time career scoring list with 648 points
• For the first time this season and the first time since Dec. 3, 2015 at Radford, the Liberty bench was held scoreless after not contributing points against UNC Asheville
• On the season, the Flames currently rank seventh in the Big South and No. 200 in the country (out of 347 teams) in field goal shooting percentage (43.6 percent/442-of-1013) moving up 31 spots from Dec. 21
• On the season, the Flames are shooting 4.9 percent better during the second half (first half shooting percentage 41.1/187-of-454; second half shooting percentage 46.0/203-of-441)
• Liberty currently is second in the Big South and ranks No. 48 in the country, averaging 9.1 three-point field goals per game (182-of-495/36.7 percent)
• Liberty currently ranks no. 105 in the country and third in the Big South in three-point field goal percentage (36.8 percent)
• After just nine bench points in the last two games, (0 vs. UNC Asheville, 9 vs. Campbell) Liberty averaged 17.5 points at High Point and Radford
• Liberty outscored PC & CSU' bench 51-37 in the Flames' first two conference games
• The Flames have shot better than 40 percent from three-point range in six of their 11 wins (41.4 percent vs. Carin; 43.8 percent vs. UMass Lowell; 53.8 percent vs. Mississippi Valley State; 19.2 percent vs. Central Penn; 46.2 percent at Presbyterian; 53.6 at Charleston Southern)
• In its 11 wins this season, Liberty has shot a combined 46.1 percent from the field (262-of-568)
• In its nine setbacks this year, Liberty has shot a combined 40.6 percent from the floor (181-of-445)
• Liberty is 4-5 on the road this season and has not won a non-conference road game since defeating Western Carolina, 63-62, on Dec. 31, 2012
• Liberty has shot 70 percent or better from the free-throw line 13 times this year and currently ranks second in the Big South in free throw shooting percentage (73.6 percent/269-of-365)
• Liberty has forced 10 or more turnovers in 14 of 20 games this season and ranks fifth in the Big South in turnovers forced (14.1 per game)
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram