KK Barbour tallied seven points and six rebounds during the last Liberty-Charleston Southern meeting (March 11, 2016).
Game Day Central Liberty's Game Notes Game Time: 7 p.m. Video Streaming Coverage: Big South Network Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WQLU 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall Today's Game Liberty (1-10) will travel to Charleston Southern (6-5) for both teams' 2016-17 Big South Conference opener, Tuesday at 7 p.m. inside the Buc Dome. The Lady Flames have won 12 straight meetings with CSU, including five consecutive visits to Charleston.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty will look to get on track as Big South play begins. The Lady Flames are off to the worst 11-game start (1-10) in program history, having lost four straight games overall and nine consecutive road/neutral outings, dating back to last season. Tuesday's tilt will be Liberty's eighth contest in its last nine games played away from Lynchburg.
2) The Lady Flames have historically played well in Big South openers, going 18-7 all-time, including 14-3 under Head Coach Carey Green. Liberty is 6-1 when meeting Charleston Southern in its Big South lid-lifter, including 5-0 under Green.
3) Tuesday's game will feature the Big South's leading rebounder (Liberty's Keyen Green - 8.2 rpg) and two of the conference's top scorers (CSU's Ke'Asia Jackson - 15.8 ppg and CSU's Alyssa Mann - 14.5 ppg).
4) Keyen Green has stepped up her play in the last six games, posting three double-doubles and a pair of 20-point outings over the span. She was named Big South Freshman of the Week on Dec. 5 and made the all-tournament team at both the Navy Classic and Cavalier Classic.
5) Led by Green, Liberty's top five scorers are freshmen. Rookies have combined to score 63.6 percent of the Lady Flames' points this season. Liberty vs. Charleston Southern at a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 55-6. Current Streak: Liberty has won 12 consecutive meetings. Series Record at CSU: Liberty leads, 23-4. Current Streak at CSU: Liberty has won five consecutive meetings. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 68, Charleston So. 53 (March 11, 2016 at UNC Asheville) Last Meeting at CSU: Liberty 59, Charleston So. 49 (Feb. 1, 2016) CSU's Last Series Victory: Charleston So. 54, Liberty 51 (Feb. 28, 2011 at CSU) CSU's Last Series Victory at Home: Same
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 404-151 (18th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Charleston Southern: 38-1
Charleston Southern Head Coach: Fred Applin Overall Record (Seasons): 54-109 (Seventh Season) Record at Charleston Southern (Seasons): 41-89 (Fifth Season) Record vs. Liberty: 1-10
Notes and Anecdotes • After facing four first-time opponents in the last five games, Liberty will meet a familiar foe on Tuesday. The Lady Flames have played Charleston Southern 61 times, winning each of the last 12 meetings overall and their last five visits to the Buc Dome.
• Liberty went 3-0 versus CSU in 2015-16, winning both regular-season meetings and posting a victory in the Big South Championship quarterfinals.
• The Lady Flames are 6-1 all-time when facing Charleston Southern in Liberty's first Big South game of the season.
• Like Liberty, CSU will look to halt a losing streak on Tuesday. The Buccaneers have lost three games in a row, following a 6-2 start to the season.
• While Tuesday's game will be the eighth out of the last nine Liberty has played away from the Vines Center, it will be the Buccaneers' sixth home game in their last seven outings.
• CSU boasts two of the Big South's leading scorers in Ke'Asia Jackson (15.8 ppg) and Alyssa Mann (14.5 ppg). Jackson is coming off of a 29-point outburst at Western Carolina on Friday. Mann sits just 20 points shy of 1,000 for her career.
• Charleston Southern Head Coach Fred Applin earned a 73-64 victory over Liberty as Hampton's head coach, on Jan. 11, 1996 in Hampton, Va. Liberty in Big South Openers All-Time Record in Big South Openers: 18-7 Record Breakdown: 7-2 (Home), 11-5 (Away) Carey Green's Record in Big South Openers: 14-3 Record Breakdown: 6-1 (Home), 8-2 (Away) Current Streak: Liberty lost last season's Big South opener, snapping a streak of five straight wins in Big South lid-lifters. Last Year's Big South Opener: Gardner-Webb 61, Liberty 57 (Dec. 2, 2015 at GWU) Note: Liberty is 6-1 when facing CSU in its Big South opener, including 3-0 in Charleston.
Liberty in January All-Time Record in January: 205-114 Carey Green's Record in January: 121-17 Record This January: 0-0 (9 games remaining) Last Five January Records: 2011-12 - 7-1 2012-13 - 6-2 2013-14 - 6-2 2014-15 - 8-1 2015-16 - 7-1
On This Date Liberty is 5-2 all-time on Jan. 3, but 0-1 against opponents from Charleston. The Lady Flames lost a 63-62 overtime contest to College of Charleston at the UNC Greensboro Invitational on Jan. 3, 1992.
Road Warriors The Lady Flames will conclude a stretch of eight road/neutral games in nine outings on Tuesday. Liberty is 1-7 during the span thus far, with the victory coming in its lone December home game, against West Liberty (Dec. 10). The challenging stretch will see Liberty play games in five different states, including Indiana, Maryland, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia. Last season, the Lady Flames were 10-9 in games played away from Lynchburg. It was the ninth straight year Liberty has posted a winning record in road/neutral contests.
Slow Start Liberty has lost four games in a row, falling to its worst 11-game start (1-10) in program history. The Lady Flames are seeking their first 2016-17 victory away from Lynchburg. The Lady Flames are 0-7 away from the Vines Center this season and have lost nine consecutive road/neutral tilts, dating back to last season.
What Can Green Do For You? Keyen Green headlines the Lady Flames' successful freshman class. The Big South Freshman of the Week on Dec. 5, Green leads the conference and ranks No. 6 among the nation's freshmen in rebounding at 8.2 rpg. In her last six games, Green has recorded three double-doubles (Dec. 4 at Navy, Dec. 10 vs. West Liberty and Dec. 29 vs. UMBC) and a pair of 20-point outings (Dec. 10 vs. West Liberty and Dec. 20 at UTSA).
Fantastic Freshmen Liberty's seven freshmen have combined to score 63.6 percent of the team's points this season, led by Keyen Green's 10.5 ppg. The Lady Flames' top five scorers on the year are all freshmen, and four rookies (Green, Iva Ilic, Kierra Johnson-Graham and Lela Sellers) started together for the first time versus UMBC on Thursday. Unfamiliar Role Liberty was picked fourth in the Big South preseason poll, as voted upon by the conference's head coaches. This is the first time since 1996-97 (seventh place) that the Lady Flames have been listed outside the top two in the preseason poll. The 1996-97 Lady Flames went on to capture the first Big South championship in program history. Winning the Battle of the Boards Liberty has outrebounded seven of its last nine opponents, including six games of 20+ offensive rebounds. The Lady Flames currently rank No. 5 nationally with 19.1 offensive boards per game this season. Player Trends #3 Nene Johnson • Averaging 7.0 ppg away from the Vines Center this season, as compared with 2.3 ppg at home
• Matched her season high of seven assists versus UMBC on Thursday, moving into sixth place on the Big South assists list with 2.9 apg #10 Kierra Johnson-Graham • Has played well in the second half of games this season, scoring 44 of her 65 points after halftime while shooting 46.9 percent (15-of-32) from the field and 66.7 percent (4-of-6) from three-point range
• Has collected five or more rebounds in seven of her last nine outings #12 Audrey Rettstatt • Her last appearance at the Buc Dome (Jan. 17, 2015) was one of the best games of her career, including eight points and a career-high nine rebounds. #14 Lela Sellers • Will celebrate her 19th birthday on Thursday (Jan. 5)
• Leads the team in minutes played (30.0 mpg) #21 Keyen Green • Ranks No. 6 nationally among freshmen for rebounding (8.2 rpg)
• Tops the Big South in rebounding and offensive rebounding (3.8), while ranking sixth in field goal percentage (52.4)
• Leads the Lady Flames in scoring (10.5 ppg) and is the only Big South freshman scoring in double figures this season
• Averaging 14.5 ppg over the last six games
• Included on the Cavalier Classic All-Tournament Team after posting 16 points and 16 rebounds against UMBC on Thursday. She recorded her third double-double of the season by halftime, with 10 points and 11 rebounds. #24 Iva Ilic • Tied for the team lead with 11 three-pointers, including two against UMBC on Thursday. She attempted 16 triples against the Retrievers, the third-most in a game in program history and the most since Jan. 18, 1999 (Sharon Wilkerson - 19 attempts at Charleston Southern). #30 KK Barbour • Tied her career high with seven points and pulled down six rebounds in Liberty's 2016 Big South Championship quarterfinal victory over CSU on March 11, 2016
• Liberty's active career rebounding (102 rebounds) leader
• Equaled her career high of seven points, collected nine rebounds (six offensive) and blocked a career-high three shots against UMBC on Thursday #35 Ola Makurat • Shares the team lead with 11 three-pointers, including at least one in each of the last four games
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram