The Liberty women's basketball team recently wrapped up another successful season with its second Postseason WNIT appearance. The Lady Flames finished the 2015-16 campaign with a 20-13 overall record and a 15-5 Big South mark, finishing as the Big South regular-season and tournament runner-up. Below is a summary of some of the Lady Flames' most notable achievements this season.
Team Accomplishments • The Lady Flames played in the Postseason WNIT for the second time, marking the 18th time in the last 20 seasons that Liberty has qualified for a postseason tournament.
• Liberty advanced to the Big South Championship semifinals for the 20th straight year and reached the title game for the 18th time in 20 seasons.
• The Lady Flames recorded their ninth consecutive 20-win season and their 18th 20-win campaign in the last 20 years.
• Liberty notched its 17th straight season with 10 or more Big South victories.
• The Lady Flames finished with a winning record for the 20th season in a row.
• Liberty went 10-4 at the Vines Center, recording double-digit home victories for the 14th straight season.
• Through games of April 3, the Lady Flames rank No. 9 nationally for rebound margin at +10.6. Liberty, which outrebounded 20 straight opponents to close out the season, will finish among the nation's top 10 teams in rebound margin for the 14th consecutive year.
Individual Accomplishments Head Coach Carey Green • Recorded career win No. 400 on Feb. 27 versus Longwood
#1 Mickayla Sanders • Finished the year ranked No. 11 in program history for career three-pointers (102) and No. 42 for points (644)
#2 Candice Leatherwood • Played a program single-game record 49 minutes in the Big South Championship title game against UNC Asheville on March 13
#3 Sadalia Ellis • Made the Big South Championship all-tournament team
• Honorable mention All-Big South performer
• Finished her career ranked third in program history for free throw percentage (77.4), tied for fourth in games played (125) and 18th in points (850)
#10 Jaymee Fisher-Davis • Wrapped up her school-record streak of 26 straight made free throws this season
• Finished her career ranked fifth in program history for three-point field goal percentage (31.9) and seventh in three-pointers made (131)
#34 Katelyn Adams • Big South Player of the Week on Feb. 8
• Recorded back-to-back 15-rebound games against California (Nov. 28) and Gardner-Webb (Dec. 2), becoming the first Lady Flame with 15 or more boards in consecutive games since Avery Warley in 2008-09
• Ten of her career-high 16 rebounds at Coastal Carolina on Jan. 19 came at the offensive end, which marked the most offensive boards by a Lady Flame since Jasmine Gardner in 2013.
• Wrapped up her career ranked second in program history for games played (131), fifth in blocked shots (147), fifth in offensive rebounds (345), seventh in rebounds (861) and 26th in points (800)
#44 Catherine Kearney • Named to the Big South Championship all-tournament team
• Second team All-Big South performer
• Big South Player of the Week on Jan. 25
• Shot 91.7 percent (11-of-12) from the field against UNC Asheville on Jan. 4 for the second-best single-game field goal percentage in program history
• Shot 8-of-8 from the floor at Longwood on Jan. 24, which was the most field goals without a miss for a Lady Flame since Avery Warley went 8-of-8 at North Carolina A&T in 2011.
• Closed out her career tied for fourth in program history for games played (125), 12th in rebounds (618) and 32nd in points (718)
#55 Ashley Rininger • Became the first Lady Flame ever to earn back-to-back first team CoSIDA Academic All-America honors
• The first women's basketball player ever to win Big South Scholar-Athlete of the Year honors in three consecutive seasons
• Big South All-Academic Team member
• Tabbed Big South Player of the Week on Nov. 17, marking her fifth career Big South Player of the Week award
• Made the South Point Thanksgiving Shootout all-tournament team
• Finished her career ranked fourth in program history for rebounds (952), fourth in offensive rebounds (377), fourth in blocked shots (156), fourth in double-doubles (36), fourth in field goal percentage (52.3), fifth in defensive rebounds (575) and seventh in points (1,380)
Senior Class Accomplishments • Won 117 games in five years (since Katelyn Adams, Catherine Kearney and Ashley Rininger arrived on campus), including three Big South titles and three NCAA Tournament appearances
• Totaled 4,260 career points and 2,829 career rebounds
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram