Evan Mitchell is among the Big South leaders in ERA and opponent batting average.
Big South Network (Internet Video Stream): Friday-Sunday
LFSN Radio Coverage:
ESPN 93.3 FM/1320 AM (Fri. & Sun.)
WIQO 100.9 FM (Saturday)
Live Stats (provided by Winthrop): Friday-Sunday
Quick Hits 1. Liberty will look to continued its unbeaten start to Big South Conference play at Winthrop, this weekend. Last week, the Flames opened conference play with a three-game sweep of UNC Asheville at Liberty Baseball Stadium to start Big South play at 3-0.
2. Despite having not meet the Flames during the regular season since 2013, Winthrop is the third most-common opponent in Liberty program history. The Flames have only played Coastal Carolina and Radford more. The Eagles and the Flames have not met during the league's regular season since 2013.
3. The Flames enter the weekend with a 16-11 overall record. In its last outing, Liberty fell at Duke, 6-1, on Tuesday. With the setback, the Flames finished the month of March with an 11-8 record.
4. 16 out Liberty's first 27 games have been decided by two runs or less and 11 by one run. The Flames have posted an 8-8 mark in games decided by two runs or less.
5. Beginning with Friday's contest, Liberty will play 17 games during the month of April. 12 of the contests will be Big South Conference games. Last year, the Flames went 12-7 during the month, including a 10-2 record in conference play.
Heading into April • After posting an 11-8 mark during the month of March, the Flames will begin their April schedule, this Friday. • Liberty will play 17 games during the month of April. The Flames are scheduled to play six games at Liberty Baseball Stadium and 11 contests on the road. • 12 of the contests will be Big South Conference games. Liberty will have three-game conference series at Winthrop, this weekend, Campbell (April 15-17) and Presbyterian (April 22-24, while hosting Charleston Southern, next weekend. Last year, the Flames posted a 12-7 mark during the month, including a 10-2 record in conference play.
• During Head Coach Jim Toman's previous eight seasons, Liberty has gone 85-60 (.586) during April.
Player Notes • OF Will Shepherd drove in two runs in each game of Liberty's sweep of UNC Asheville, last weekend. • Shepherd collected his fourth three-hit game of the year and drove in two runs in 6-5 win over Asheville, this past Friday night. • Shepherd hit his third home run of the year and scored three times in 11-5 win over Asheville, last Sunday. • The outfielder leads the Flames and is second in the Big South in runs scored. • OF D.J. Artis reached base in each of his four plate appearances in an 11-5 win over Asheville, Saturday. He went 3-for-3 with a walk, a RBI and two runs scored. He also stole his team-leading ninth base. • Artis had two hits and drove in the go-ahead run in the eighth of a 7-6 win over Asheville, March 24. • Artis leads the Flames and the Big South Conference with a .531 on base percentage. He is among the top three in the conference and leads Liberty in batting average (.398), hits (39) and walks (25). • RHP Shane Quarterley leads the Flames in appearances with 13. Quarterley picked up his fourth win of the year with 3 2/3 scoreless innings of relief in a 6-5 win over Asheville, March 24. • The following evening, Quarterley recorded the final out of the contest to earn his fourth save. • Quarterley also leads the Big South in appearances, is second in saves (4) and third in wins (4). • RHP Zach Helsel did not allow a run over a four-inning relief stint to record his first collegiate win, this past Saturday. Helsel scattered three hits, striking out a batter and not walking one. • 1B/OF Andrew Yacyk collected three hits and a RBI in 6-5 win over Asheville, last Friday. • Yacyk leads the Flames with 27 RBI and is among the Big South leaders. • 3B Eric Grabowski had a RBI triple at Duke, Tuesday. • LHP Victor Cole won his second straight start with 5 1/3 innings of work, striking out 10 in a 6-5 win over Asheville, this past Friday. • Cole was named the Big South Conference Pitcher of the Week for games played March 14-20. The senior went the distance for the first time this season in a 4-2 win over Kent State in game one of a doubleheader, March 19. Cole struck out a career-high 11 batters and retired the last 13 of 14 and the last seven Golden Flashes to face him. • C Payton Scarbrough had two doubles and two RBI during the Flames' win over Asheville, Saturday.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram