Game Day Central Page Liberty's Tournament Notes Liberty's Supplemental Game Notes Game Time: 6 p.m. Official Tipoff: 6:02 p.m.
TV Coverage: ESPN3 Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Hogewood Color Commentator: Ralph Patterson
Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WQLU 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall Game No. 30 – Big South Women's Basketball Championship Quarterfinal No. 2 seed Liberty (18-11) vs. No. 7 seed Charleston Southern (14-16) March 11, 2016 – 6 p.m. – Kimmel Arena (Asheville, N.C.)
Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 54-6. Current Streak: Liberty has won 11 consecutive meetings. Series Record in Big South Championship: Liberty leads, 6-0. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 59, Charleston Southern 49 (Feb. 1, 2016 at CSU) Last Meeting in Big South Championship: Liberty 72, Charleston So. 52 (March 10, 2012) CSU's Last Series Victory: Charleston Southern 54, Liberty 51 (Feb. 28, 2011 at CSU)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 401-139 (17th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Charleston Southern: 37-1
Charleston Southern Head Coach: Fred Applin Overall Record (Seasons): 48-103 (Sixth Season) Record at Charleston Southern (Seasons): 35-83 (Fourth Season) Record vs. Liberty: 1-9 (The victory came as Hampton's head coach on Jan. 11, 1996)
Matchup Notes • Liberty swept the regular-season series from Charleston Southern this season.
• The Lady Flames picked up their first Big South win of the season with a 51-40 home triumph over the Buccaneers on Dec. 5 at the Vines Center, despite missing both Sadalia Ellis and Mickayla Sanders due to injury.
• Liberty owned a slim 35-34 lead heading into the final quarter before Ashley Rininger took over.
• Rininger, who finished with 18 points and nine rebounds, single-handedly outscored CSU by a 12-6 count during the fourth quarter.
• Mikal Johnson posted season highs for points (10) and rebounds (9) that day for the Lady Flames.
• Shauntavia Dobson was the lone Buccaneer to score in double figures, finishing with 14 points.
• Liberty held CSU to 29.6 percent (16-of-54) shooting from the field and won the rebounding battle, 46-29.
• Liberty notched a come-from-behind 59-49 victory at the Buc Dome on Feb. 1, completing the season sweep.
• Charleston Southern led by eight points with 7:01 remaining in the third quarter before Liberty went on top for good with a 16-1 run.
• Liberty limited CSU to 19 second-half points and shot 16-of-22 from the foul line after halftime.
• Katelyn Adams paced the Lady Flames in both points (11) and rebounds (12), while Ashley Rininger chipped in 10 points and eight boards in her second game back from injury.
• CSU boasted the game's two highest scorers in Alecia Hardy (14 points) and Ke'Asia Jackson (13 points) but shot just 38.1 percent (8-of-21) from the foul line.
• Liberty outrebounded the Buccaneers, 51-34, overcoming a 32.1 percent (17-of-53) shooting night from the field.
• CSU honorable mention All-Big South guard Alyssa Mann was held to seven points on 2-of-9 from the field. During her two matchups with Liberty this season, Mann has managed just 12 total points on 4-of-25 shooting from the floor.
• Mann scored a game-high 23 points in CSU's 72-50 first-round victory over No. 10 seed Longwood on Thursday, the Buccaneers' first win at the Big South Championship since 2012.
• Liberty has posted 11 consecutive victories over Charleston Southern since falling 54-51 at CSU on Feb. 28, 2011. The 11 wins have come by an average of 21.7 ppg.
• The Lady Flames are 54-6 all-time against the Buccaneers, including 37-1 under Head Coach Carey Green. Liberty has only recorded more all-time victories against Coastal Carolina (55) among any opponent in program history.
• Liberty is 6-0 all-time versus CSU in the Big South Women's Basketball Championship, including 2-0 in the quarterfinal round (2006 and 2009).
• The Lady Flames' most recent Big South Women's Basketball Championship matchup with Charleston Southern came in the 2012 semifinals, March 10, 2012 at the Millis Center in High Point, N.C.
• Liberty advanced to the championship game with a 72-52 victory, led by Avery Warley's 20 points and 22 rebounds. Her 22 boards tied the tournament single-game record.
• Shay Jones paced the Buccaneers with 12 points and two of her team's 12 made three-pointers.
• Liberty's Catherine Kearney is the only active player on either team who played in that game. As a freshman, she contributed four rebounds and two blocked shots in nine minutes.
• Liberty is 48-2 all-time in the Big South Championship when favored according to seed.
• Liberty will be trying to advance to the Big South Championship semifinal round for the 20th straight season, while Charleston Southern is seeking its first semifinal appearance since 2012.
• The Lady Flames have won their opening game of the Big South Championship 19 consecutive years, since losing the 1996 opener to UNCG, 84-40.
• Liberty is 3-2 all-time at Kimmel Arena, but 0-1 this season.
• The Lady Flames are 6-0 all-time on March 11, including two Big South Championship title game victories over High Point (2006, 2012).
• Liberty is just 1-2 on Friday this season, including a season-opening 74-68 win at Appalachian State on Nov. 13 and losses to NC State (61-53 on Nov. 20) and No. 11/14 Ohio State (75-65 on Nov. 27).
• Liberty, which is coming off of a 57-49 loss to Presbyterian in its regular-season finale (March 5), has only lost back-to-back games to Big South opponents twice in Carey Green's 17 seasons as Liberty's head coach. However, it has happened once this year, with a 56-51 loss at UNC Asheville on Feb. 13 and a 58-51 home setback to Coastal Carolina on Feb. 20.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram