Catherine Kearney (left) and Mickayla Sanders (right) combined for 35 points during Liberty's 72-67 triumph at Longwood on Jan. 24.
Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes Game Time: 3 p.m. Official Tipoff: 3:05 p.m.
TV Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV ESPN3 Big South Network Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo Sideline Reporter: Britton Lynn
Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WQLU 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall Color Commentator: Emily Stotmeister
Today's Game Liberty (16-10, 13-4 Big South) will welcome Route 460 foe Longwood (6-20, 3-14 Big South) to the Vines Center, Saturday at 3 p.m. The Lady Flames will aim to complete a regular-season sweep of the Lancers, after posting a 72-67 win in Farmville on Jan. 24.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty snapped a rare two-game Big South losing streak with a 73-68 victory at High Point on Tuesday, clinching a first-round bye for the Big South Women's Basketball Championship. The Lady Flames will look to keep the pressure on conference leader UNC Asheville, which sits one game ahead of second-place Liberty with three contests remaining. Meanwhile, Longwood is looking to snap a six-game losing skid and record its first win over Liberty since Feb. 12, 1988.
2) Liberty Head Coach Carey Green has a chance to pick up career win No. 400 on Saturday. He is 399-138 in 17 seasons with the Lady Flames, including 13-0 against Longwood.
3) Liberty leads the Big South in rebound margin (+9.8), while Longwood ranks 10th (-7.7). The Lady Flames have outrebounded Longwood by an average of 24.8 boards per game during the teams' last eight meetings.
4) Catherine Kearney excelled during Liberty's Jan. 24 victory at Longwood, scoring a game-high 20 points on 8-of-8 from the field.
5) Jaymee Fisher-Davis is coming off of a career-high 17-point output during Tuesday's win at High Point, including five three-pointers. The senior is shooting 50 percent (13-of-26) from three-point range against Longwood during her career. Liberty vs. Longwood at a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 21-15. Current Streak: Liberty has won 14 consecutive meetings. Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 12-4. Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won seven consecutive meetings. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 72, Longwood 67 (Jan. 24, 2016 at Longwood) Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 70, Longwood 48 (Jan. 13, 2015) Longwood's Last Series Victory: Longwood 95, Liberty 88 (Feb. 12, 1988 at Long.) Longwood's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Longwood 87, Liberty 75 (Jan. 26, 1988)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 399-138 (17th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Longwood: 13-0
Longwood Head Coach: Bill Reinson Overall Record (Seasons): 45-126 (Sixth Season) Record at Longwood (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 0-9
Notes and Anecdotes • Liberty will be aiming to complete a regular-season sweep of Longwood after recording a 72-67 victory at Willett Hall on Jan. 24. Catherine Kearney (20 points, 8-8 FG) and Katelyn Adams (11 points, 12 rebounds) helped the Lady Flames successfully recover from a 10-point first-half deficit. Raven Williams led Longwood with 14 points, including two of her team's 11 three-pointers.
• Longwood is seeking its first win over Liberty since Feb. 12, 1988, as the Lady Flames have won all 14 head-to-head matchups with their Route 460 foe since gaining NCAA Division I status prior to the 1988-89 season.
• Liberty has outrebounded Longwood by an average of 24.8 boards per game during the teams' last eight meetings. The Lady Flames lead the Big South in rebound margin (+9.8), while the Lancers rank 10th (-7.7).
• Longwood's leading scorer, 5-3 redshirt junior guard Daeisha Brown (9.6 ppg), scored her 1,000th career point in the Lancers' last game, an 80-64 loss at Radford on Feb. 20.
• The Lancers have lost six straight road games and six consecutive games overall, heading into their final road game of the regular season on Saturday.
• Liberty is 6-0 all-time versus Longwood at the Vines Center, with all six wins coming by at least 18 points. On This Date Liberty is 11-5 all-time on Feb. 27, including a 74-71 victory over Longwood in the 1986 Mason-Dixon Conference Tournament.
On the Verge of History Carey Green, in his 17th season as Liberty's head coach, is one win shy of 400 for his career. Here is a look at his previous milestone victories.
#1 – Nov. 23, 1999 – 85-46 home win over North Carolina A&T #100 – Jan. 17, 2004 – 69-58 win at Coastal Carolina #200 – Jan. 19, 2008 – 82-53 win at Charleston Southern #300 – Feb. 4, 2012 – 58-45 win at Campbell
Competing Against the Commonwealth Liberty is 3-1 against in-state opponents this season and is 13-1 in its last 14 games against Commonwealth foes. A Look Back at the Lady Flames' 73-68 Win at High Point • Jaymee Fisher-Davis scored a career-high 17 points, Tuesday at the Millis Center, helping Liberty snap a rare two-game Big South losing skid with a 73-68 victory at High Point.
• Fisher-Davis, who nailed five triples on the evening, was joined in double figures by teammates Sadalia Ellis (16 points), Catherine Kearney (11 points) and Katelyn Adams (10 points, game-high nine rebounds) as the Lady Flames halted just their second two-game Big South losing streak in Carey Green's 17 seasons as head coach.
• The Lady Flames (16-10, 13-4 Big South) clinched a first-round bye for the Big South Women's Basketball Championship with Tuesday's win and moved to within a game of conference leader UNC Asheville with three contests remaining.
• Despite Kaylah Keys' game-high 20 points and Kat Harris' five three-pointers, High Point dropped to 10-16 overall and 9-8 in conference play.
• Aided by 34 points in the paint, Liberty shot 50 percent (26-of-52) from the field for the game. High Point countered at 42.4 percent (25-of-59), including eight three-pointers.
• The Lady Flames committed just five turnovers during the second half after having 13 before halftime.
• Liberty won the rebounding battle for the 13th straight game, 39-26, and grabbed 12 offensive boards.
• Fisher-Davis tallied 11 of her 17 points after halftime, eclipsing the senior's previous career high of 16 points.
Shaking Things Up Head Coach Carey Green has used nine different starting lineups during this season's first 26 games, after using a new lineup at High Point on Tuesday. The Lady Flames have eclipsed the number of starting lineups they used during the entire 2014-15 season (7), and 11 different players have started this year. Winning the Battle of the Boards Liberty has outrebounded 22 of 26 opponents this season, including 13 in a row. The Lady Flames have climbed to No. 14 nationally for rebounding, through games of Feb. 23.
The Container is Half Full The Lady Flames are 105-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals, including 5-0 this season. Liberty has won the last 32 times it has shot 50 percent or better, since an 83-77 loss to Kentucky in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship (March 20, 2010).
The Container is Half Empty Liberty had held 69 straight opponents below 50 percent shooting from the field before No. 16/15 California shot 51.9 percent (28-of-54) against the Lady Flames on Nov. 28 in Las Vegas. Most recently, the Lady Flames' last 17 foes have each been held below the 50 percent mark. Tradition of Excellence • The Lady Flames have clinched their 20th straight winning season in 2015-16. The streak started in 1996-97, the first year the Lady Flames won the Big South Championship title. Liberty was one of only 12 NCAA Division I women's basketball programs which began the 2015-16 campaign with an active streak of 19+ consecutive winning seasons.
• Liberty has notched 17 consecutive seasons with 10+ Big South wins, including 2015-16. Player Trends #1 Mickayla Sanders • Hit a three-pointer in 13 straight games between Jan. 2 and Feb. 20, including a pair during the Feb. 20 matchup with Coastal Carolina that made her the 11th Lady Flame with 100+ career three-pointers #2 Candice Leatherwood • Hit five-of-six free throws during the final 2:29 of a Jan. 24 victory at Longwood. Leatherwood has gone to the foul line often during the final 5:00 of games this season, going 20-of-30 for 66.7 percent in those situations.
• Made her fifth career start and first since Dec. 19 against Shepherd, Tuesday at High Point #3 Sadalia Ellis • One day after her 22nd birthday, Ellis scored 16 points at High Point on Tuesday. #5 Stephanie Patton • Made two big free throws with 27.8 seconds remaining to help seal victory at Longwood on Jan. 24 #10 Jaymee Fisher-Davis • Shooting 50 percent (13-of-26) from three-point range against Longwood during her career
• Scored a team-high and career-high 17 points at High Point on Tuesday while tying her career high of five three-pointers made • Has hit 36 of her last 38 free throw attempts, boosting her career free throw percentage to 88.9 • 77.1 percent (118 of 153) of her career made field goals have been three-pointers including 22 of her last 23 made field goals. #23 Brooke Alexander • Averaging 4.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.5 apg and a team-high 1.3 spg since joining the starting lineup, helping Liberty go 9-2 in those games
• Has recorded a 39-to-24 assist-to-turnover ratio over the last 14 games #30 KK Barbour • Scored a season-high seven points on Jan. 24 at Longwood, while also setting new season highs for assists (3) and steals (3)
• During the last six games, Barbour has totaled 25 points and 14 rebounds in 58 total minutes played, shooting 60 percent (9-of-15) from the field. #34 Katelyn Adams • Notched a double-double (11 points, 12 rebounds) at Longwood on Jan. 24
• Averaging 9.2 ppg and 10.7 rpg over her last 10 contests
• Recorded three straight double-doubles between Feb. 1-9 and has four in her last nine games, giving Adams five double-doubles for the season and 14 for her career • Adams has tallied six or more rebounds in 22 of 26 games in 2015-16, including 11 10+-rebound efforts. She leads the team in rebounding and ranks third in the Big South. • Has appeared in 124 consecutive games to start her collegiate career, putting her in a tie for fifth place on Liberty's career games played list #44 Catherine Kearney • Made all eight of her field goal attempts at Longwood on Jan. 24 on her way to her fourth 20-point game of the season. Kearney became the first Lady Flame since Avery Warley on Nov. 18, 2011 to make at least eight field goals in a game without missing a shot.
• Has hit 35 of her last 39 free throw attempts (89.7 percent), including a streak of 15 in a row that was snapped on Feb. 13 at UNC Asheville #55 Ashley Rininger • Named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District team for the second consecutive season • Ranks No. 4 in program history for blocked shots (149) and double-doubles (35), No. 5 in rebounds (901) and No. 8 in points (1,295)
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram