Senior shortstop Dalton Britt and the Flames open the 2016 season, Friday night.
LFSN Radio Coverage: 93.3FM/1320AM WVGM (Fri. & Sun.)
93.3FM/1320AM WVGM (Sat.)
Live Stats (provided by South Florida): Friday-Sunday
Video Stream (Fri. & Sat.): BullsCast
Quick Hits 1. Liberty was selected to finish third in the conference in the 2016 Big South Preseason Poll by the league's head coaches
2. The Flames posted a 33-23 overall record and tied Winthrop for third place in the Big South Conference standings with a 16-8 mark in 2015.
3. Liberty returns 19 players from last season, including five position starters and six pitchers. The Flames have added 16 newcomers to their roster for the 2016 campaign.
4. Friday's meeting with South Florida will be the 43rd season opener in Liberty baseball program history. Liberty enters the season lid-lifter with a 25-16 mark in openers since 1976 (no records for 1974 or 1975).
5. The Flames will be opening their season away from Lynchburg for the 25th season and in the state of Florida for the seventh time. The Flames are 13-11 in season openers away from Lynchburg, 10-10 in away contests and 3-1 in neutral field games, and 3-3 in the Sunshine State.
6. The Flames posted a 12-10 record in road games, last season. Liberty will be opening the season on road for the 11th straight year.
Flames on the Road • Liberty is 12-14 overall away from Liberty Baseball Stadium in 2015.
• The Flames are 12-10 in away games in 2015, while posting a 0-2 record in neutral site contests.
• Liberty posted a 19-13 record away from home in 2014. The Flames went 14-8 in away contests and 5-5 in neutral site games.
Season Openers • Friday's game at USF will be the 43rd season opener in Liberty baseball program history.
• Liberty enters the season lid-lifter with a 25-16 mark in openers since 1976 (no records for 1974 or 1975).
• Last season, No. 19 Kennesaw State defeated the Flames, 11-9, in Kennesaw, Ga. in the Atlanta Challenge to begin their 2015 campaign.
• Friday's contest will be the first time in program history that the Flames have opened a season against USF and only the second time the two have ever met in their respective histories.
• Liberty will be opening its season away from Lynchburg for the 25th season and in the state of Florida for the seventh year. The Flames are 13-11 in season openers away from Lynchburg, 10-10 in away contests and 3-1 in neutral field games, and 3-3 in the Sunshine State.
• The Flames are 3-5 in season openers under head coach Jim Toman. Two of three Liberty victories came on neutral fields.
• In Jim Toman's first game as Liberty's head coach, the Flames defeated Notre Dame, 6-2, at Jack Russell Stadium in the Clearwater, Fla. Invitational to open their season on Feb. 22, 2008.
• Liberty has not opened its season at home since 2005, a 7-6 win over Old Dominion. The Flames are 5-5 in season openers since then. Liberty is 9-2 in season openers in Lynchburg, with all 11 coming at the Flames' previous home field Worthington Stadium.
Toman Closes in on 300 • Liberty Head Coach Jim Toman enters the weekend with a 297 wins, three games shy of his milestone 300th career victory.
• With his 300 win, the nine-year Flames skipper becomes the second coach in Liberty program history to reach 300 wins, joining program founder and the winningest coach in program history Al Worthington. Worthington won 343 games during his 13 seasons at the helm of the Flames.
• The 2014 Big South Coach of the Year, Toman has posted the highest NCAA Division I winning percentage (.625) during his first eight years of any Liberty head baseball coach in program history.
• He also owns a .688 Big South Conference winning percentage, the best of any head coach in program history.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram