Katelyn Adams pulled down a career-high 16 rebounds during Liberty's 65-63 win at Coastal Carolina on Jan. 19.
Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes Game Time: 4 p.m. Official Tipoff: 4:05 p.m.
TV Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV ESPN3 Big South Network Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo Sideline Reporter: Britton Lynn
Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WQLU 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall Color Commentator: Emily Stotmeister Today's Game Liberty (15-9, 12-3 Big South) will attempt to get back on track Saturday when Coastal Carolina (9-15, 4-11 Big South) visits the Vines Center. Tipoff is slated for 4 p.m. for the final regular-season meeting between the Lady Flames and Chanticleers as Big South Conference foes.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty, which had a season-best eight-game winning streak snapped at UNC Asheville last Saturday, will look to bounce back with a win on Saturday. The Lady Flames have only lost back-to-back Big South games once in Carey Green's 17 years as head coach.
2) The Lady Flames will attempt to extend several lengthy winning streaks. Liberty has defeated Coastal Carolina 45 consecutive times, marking the second longest active winning streak against a conference opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball. The Lady Flames have also recorded 20 straight home wins over the Chanticleers and 21 consecutive home victories against conference opponents.
3) Liberty could clinch a first-round bye for the Big South Women's Basketball Championship with a win over Coastal Carolina and a Saturday loss by either High Point or Radford.
4) Katelyn Adams is averaging 9.4 ppg and 10.9 rpg during her last eight outings, including a career-high 16 rebounds at Coastal Carolina on Jan. 19.
5) Mickayla Sanders' next three-pointer will make her the 11th Lady Flame ever to hit 100 career triples. She was just 1-7 from beyond the arc against Coastal Carolina on Jan. 19 but hit two game-clinching free throws with 9.3 seconds remaining. Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina at a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 55-7. Current Streak: Liberty has won 45 consecutive meetings. Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 24-4. Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won 20 consecutive meetings. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 65, Coastal Carolina 63 (Jan. 19, 2016 at Coastal) Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 78, Coastal Carolina 64 (Feb. 7, 2015) Coastal's Last Series Victory: Coastal 70, Liberty 55 (Feb. 19, 1996 at Coastal) Coastal's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Coastal 68, Liberty 62 (Jan. 22, 1996)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 398-137 (17th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Coastal Carolina: 37-0
Coastal Carolina Head Coach: Jaida Williams Overall Record (Seasons): 36-49 (Third Season) Record at Coastal Carolina (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 0-5
Notes and Anecdotes • Liberty came back from a nine-point halftime deficit to post a 65-63 victory at The HTC Center in the teams' first meeting this year. Seniors Catherine Kearney (16 points, 11 rebounds), Katelyn Adams (career-high 16 rebounds) and Sadalia Ellis (10 of her 14 points during the second half) led the way for the Lady Flames' 45th straight win over the Chanticleers. Paced by Yasmin Miller's 13 points, Coastal Carolina made 12 three-pointers for the game.
• Liberty's 45-game winning streak against Coastal Carolina is the second longest active streak against a conference opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball, trailing only Stanford's 60-game winning streak versus Washington State. The Chanticleers' last victory over the Lady Flames happened one year and one day before Liberty freshman Stephanie Patton was born, on Feb. 19, 1996.
• Coastal Carolina has lost four straight road games and is just 3-10 away from The HTC Center this season. However, two of the Chanticleers' four Big South wins have come on the road (at Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb).
• The Chanticleers lead the Big South with 10.5 spg. On Jan. 19, Coastal Carolina came up with 12 steals against Liberty and scored 26 points off the Lady Flames' 19 turnovers.
• Liberty Head Coach Carey Green, a 1979 graduate of Coastal Carolina, is 37-0 coaching against his alma mater. On This Date Liberty is 7-5 all-time on Feb. 20, including 1-1 against Coastal Carolina. The Chanticleers recorded a 74-66 win at the Vines Center on Feb. 20, 1995, while the Lady Flames held off Coastal Carolina for a 57-55 victory, Feb. 20, 2010 at the Vines Center.
45 Straight Liberty has won 45 consecutive games against Coastal Carolina, which is the second-longest active winning streak against a conference opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball. Here is a look at the top three.
1) Stanford vs. Washington State - 60 (Pac-12) 2) Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina - 45 (Big South) 3) Tennessee vs. Alabama - 42 (SEC) A Look Back at the Lady Flames' 56-51 Loss at UNC Asheville • Liberty cut a 14-point fourth-quarter deficit to one during Saturday's game at Kimmel Arena, but UNC Asheville held on for a 56-51 victory, claiming sole possession of first place in the Big South standings.
• Asheville led 49-35 with 8:14 remaining in the fourth quarter before Liberty fashioned a 13-0 run. Ashley Rininger's reverse layup made it a one-point game (49-48) at the 2:15 mark.
• However, the Lady Flames did not score again until the 12.6-second mark, while key hoops by Khaila Webb and Paige Love helped the Bulldogs seal the victory.
• Liberty falls to 15-9 overall and 12-3 in Big South play after seeing its eight-game winning streak halted.
• Catherine Kearney (11 points, 9 rebounds) and Katelyn Adams (11 points, 8 rebounds) led the way for the Lady Flames, who shot just 35.6 percent (21-of-59) from the field and 11.1 percent (2-of-18) from beyond the three-point arc.
• Asheville made three-of-four free throw attempts in the final 11.5 seconds, wrapping up a 13-of-16 (81.3 percent) performance from the charity stripe for the game and improving to 10-1 at home this season.
Bouncing Back Liberty will attempt to bounce back from its 56-51 setback at UNC Asheville on Feb. 13. They have only lost back-to-back Big South games once (Jan. 30 and Feb. 1, 2014) during Carey Green's 17 seasons as head coach. Winning the Battle of the Boards Liberty has outrebounded 20 of 24 opponents this season, including 11 in a row. The Lady Flames have climbed to No. 13 nationally, through games of Feb. 15.
The Container is Half Full The Lady Flames are 104-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals, including 4-0 this season. Liberty has won the last 31 times it has shot 50 percent or better, since an 83-77 loss to Kentucky in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship (March 20, 2010).
The Container is Half Empty Liberty had held 69 straight opponents below 50 percent shooting from the field before No. 16/15 California shot 51.9 percent (28-of-54) against the Lady Flames on Nov. 28 in Las Vegas. Most recently, the Lady Flames' last 15 foes have each been held below the 50 percent mark.
Player Trends #1 Mickayla Sanders • Has hit a three-pointer in 12 straight games and needs one triple to become the 11th Lady Flame with 100 career three-pointers made
• Made a pair of free throws with 9.3 seconds remaining to clinch the win at Coastal Carolina (Jan. 19). She played a team-high and season-high 34 minutes and matched her career highs for rebounds (9), assists (4) and steals (3). #2 Candice Leatherwood • Leatherwood has recorded the most free throw attempts among the Lady Flames during the final 5:00 of games this season, going 19-of-28 for 67.9 percent in those situations. #3 Sadalia Ellis • Will celebrate her 22nd birthday on Monday (Feb. 22)
• Scored 10 of her 14 points during the second half of a come-from-behind win at Coastal Carolina (Jan. 19)
• Has made 14 of her 16 free throw attempts (87.5 percent) during the last four games #5 Stephanie Patton • Will celebrate her 19th birthday on Saturday #10 Jaymee Fisher-Davis • Has made multiple three-pointers in 11 of 24 games this season
• Has hit 34 of her last 36 free throw attempts, boosting her career free throw percentage to 88.4 • 76.2 percent (112 of 147) of her career made field goals have been three-pointers #23 Brooke Alexander • Averaging 5.1 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.6 apg and a team-high 1.4 spg since joining the starting lineup, helping Liberty go 8-1 in those games • Has recorded a 34-to-20 assist-to-turnover ratio over the last 12 games • Played a season-high 32 minutes and scored eight points at Coastal Carolina on Jan. 19 #30 KK Barbour • During the last four games, Barbour has totaled 21 points and 14 rebounds in 42 total minutes played, shooting 66.7 percent (8-of-12) from the field. #32 Jordan Woods • Tallied a season-high seven points in only seven minutes at Coastal Carolina on Jan. 19, making all of her shots (3-3 FG, 1-1 FT) #34 Katelyn Adams • Paced all players with a career-high 16 rebounds at Coastal Carolina on Jan. 19. Adams became the first Lady Flame since March 2, 2013 to nab 10 offensive boards in a game.
• Averaging 9.4 ppg and 10.9 rpg over her last eight contests
• Recorded three straight double-doubles between Feb. 1-9 and has four in her last seven games, giving Adams five double-doubles for the season and 14 for her career
• Adams has tallied six or more rebounds in 20 of 24 games in 2015-16, including 10 10+-rebound efforts. She leads the team in rebounding and ranks third in the Big South. #44 Catherine Kearney • Has hit 32 of her last 35 free throw attempts (91.4 percent), including a streak of 15 in a row that was snapped on Feb. 13 at UNC Asheville #55 Ashley Rininger • Named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District team for the second consecutive season • Ranks No. 4 in program history for blocked shots (149) and double-doubles (35), No. 5 in rebounds (888) and No. 8 in points (1,285)
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram