Game Day Central Liberty Game Notes
Matchup Notes - Liberty is first in the Big South in scoring defense on the year, holding teams to 66.3 ppg. In conference games, the Flames are also first in the league, holding their opponents to 62.4 ppg.
- Ryan Kemrite picked up the first double-double of his collegiate career, finishing with 14 points and 10 rebounds against Gardner-Webb. Kemrite notched a career-high in rebounds with 10. The redshirt sophomore's previous high was eight rebounds at Notre Dame (Dec. 29, 2015).
- Liberty has now shot over 50.0 percent from the field in the last two games. The Flames shot 51.0 percent (26-of-51) against High Point and 50.9 percent (27-of-53) versus Gardner-Webb. Liberty's sharp shooting in the pair of contests marks the first time the Flames shot over 50 percent in back-to-back games since the final two regular season matchups of the 2013-14 season. Liberty went 34-of-59 (57.6 percent) in a 90-76 victory over Longwood on Feb. 25, 2014. The Flames then shot 50.9 percent (29-of-57) in an 87-83 defeat against Radford (March 1, 2014).
- Prior to Wednesday's victory, each of the Flames' previous four conference wins were decided by one possession. Four of Liberty's five Big South losses have been decided by seven points or less.
- Liberty's three-game win streak is its first since the 2013-14 season. In games played Nov. 29-Dec. 7, 2013, the Flames defeated Hampton (70-53), Sam Houston State (62-58) and Greensboro College (84-47).
Series History Series Record: Presbyterian leads the series, 8-7 Current Streak: Presbyterian is on a two-game win streak Liberty Series Record at Presbyterian: 2-5 Last Meeting: Presbyterian 69, Liberty 61 (Feb. 6, 2015 – Templeton Center) First Meeting: Presbyterian 74, Liberty 60 (Nov. 20, 1978) Last Liberty Victory at Templeton Center: Liberty 77, Presbyterian 64 (Feb. 11, 2012)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Ritchie McKay Overall Record (Seasons): 212-201 (14th season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): 47-43 (Third season) Record vs. Presbyterian: 2-1
Presbyterian College Head Coach: Gregg Nibert Overall Record (Seasons): 408-391 (27th season) Record at PC (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 6-6
Notes and Anecdotes - Current Big South leading scorer DeSean Murray (20.1 ppg) averaged 18.5 points and 10 rebounds in the two contests versus the Flames in 2015-16. After missing 12 games due to injury, Murray returned to the lineup on Jan. 3, 2015, leading Presbyterian with a 16-point, 11-rebound performance in a 62-58 victory over Liberty inside the Vines Center. Murray followed up the performance with 21 points and nine rebounds in the rematch versus the Flames, guiding the Blue Hose to a 69-61 win in the Templeton Center (Feb. 6, 2015).
- Evan Maxwell's 10 points at Gardner-Webb snapped a seven game streak in which the 6-10 center posted single-digit scoring figures. Maxwell, who leads the Flames in total points with 250 (10.9 ppg), averaged 4.7 ppg during the span.
- In conference games, John Dawson is ninth in scoring, averaging 14.8 ppg. The redshirt sophomore is also first in defensive rebounds in Big South games, pulling down nearly six per contest.
- Calvin Hoffman made his 2015-16 debut on Wednesday after missing the first 22 contests due to a right foot injury. After Gardner-Webb briefly claimed the lead in the closing minutes of the first half, the sophomore guard swished a three-pointer to put Liberty back on top, 25-24, with 4:05 left in the period. The Flames did not lose the lead following Hoffman's basket.
- Last season, Ryan Kemrite averaged 11.0 ppg in the two games versus Presbyterian. Evan Maxwell played in Liberty's home game against the Blue Hose, scoring six points.
- The last time Ritchie McKay was in the Templeton Center, the Flames lost to the Blue Hose in double overtime, 67-66. Anthony Smith led the Flames with 27 points, followed by Seth Curry, who had 15. Presbyterian won the contest despite playing just six players compared to 11 for the Flames.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram