Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes Game Time: 2 p.m. Official Tipoff: 2:05 p.m.
TV Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV ESPN3 Big South Network Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo Sideline Reporter: Britton Lynn
Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WQLU 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall Color Commentator: Emily Stotmeister Today's Game Liberty (11-8, 8-2 Big South) will host a rematch of the 2015 Big South Women's Basketball Championship title game Saturday at 2 p.m., when High Point (7-12, 6-4 Big South) visits the Vines Center. Both teams will open the second half of their Big South Conference schedule with their first of two meetings in 25 days.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty has won four games in a row and is 8-1 in its last nine games, moving into a tie for first place in the Big South standings. Meanwhile, High Point is 4-1 in its last five outings.
2) The Lady Flames have won 18 straight home Big South games. However, the Panthers were the last visiting Big South squad to leave the Vines Center with a win, exactly two years ago today (Jan. 30, 2014). The road team has won 10 of the last 13 Liberty-High Point clashes played at either the Vines Center or Millis Center.
3) Liberty's five seniors have scored 63.4 percent of the team's points this season. Conversely, High Point's seven freshmen have accounted for 57.5 percent of the Panthers' points.
4) The Lady Flames have gotten a lift from a freshman of their own. Liberty is 4-0 since Brooke Alexander joined the starting lineup, and the Texan is coming off of a career-high 11-point output against Gardner-Webb.
5) Reigning Big South Player of the Week Catherine Kearney is averaging 15.9 ppg over the last nine games, including a 19-point, 11-rebound effort versus Gardner-Webb. Liberty vs. High Point at a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 35-13. Current Streak: Liberty has won three consecutive meetings. Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 14-7. Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty won the most recent meeting. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 74, High Point 64 (March 8, 2015 at Coastal Carolina) Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 64, High Point 47 (Jan. 3, 2015) High Point's Last Series Victory: High Point 94, Liberty 89 (2OT) (Jan. 30, 2014 at LU) High Point's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Same
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 394-136 (17th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. High Point: 31-10
High Point Head Coach: DeUnna Hendrix Overall Record (Seasons): 66-48 (Fourth Season) Record at High Point (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 3-4
Notes and Anecdotes • Saturday's game will mark the first matchup between Liberty and High Point since the Lady Flames posted a 74-64 win over the Panthers in the 2015 Big South Championship title game in Conway, S.C. on March 8, 2015. Only three High Point players who appeared in that contest are still on the roster, including Kaylah Keys, Kat Harris and Maja Michalska.
• Keys, a 5-5 junior guard, paces the Panthers and ranks third in the Big South with 14.2 ppg. She is the leading active scorer among conference players with 1,289 career points.
• Harris' last-second game-winning layup at Radford on Tuesday lifted the Panthers to their fourth win in their last five outings.
• Four of High Point's top six scorers are freshmen, including Emma Bockrath (9.2 ppg), Lindsey Edwards (8.6), Haleigh Hatfield (7.3) and Shea Morgan (6.6). The Panthers' seven freshmen are scoring 57.5 percent of the team's points this season.
• The road team has won 10 of the last 13 Liberty-High Point contests played at either the Vines Center or the Millis Center. The Panthers were the last visiting Big South team to win in Lynchburg, notching a 94-89 double overtime win on Jan. 30, 2014.
• Nine of the last 13 matchups between Liberty and High Point have been decided by single digits, including a pair of overtime contests. On This Date Liberty is 7-4 all-time on Jan. 30, including 1-1 against High Point. The Panthers posted a 94-89, double overtime victory on Jan. 30, 2014, which stands as the most recent win by a visiting Big South team at the Vines Center. Meanwhile, Liberty notched a 75-62 win in snowy High Point on Jan. 30, 2010, behind 55 combined points from Devon Brown and Avery Warley.
Four in a Row The Lady Flames have won four straight games, matching their longest winning streak of the season. Led by Katelyn Adams' 11.0 rpg, Liberty is outrebounding its last four opponents by 16.0 rpg. Catherine Kearney is averaging 17.0 ppg and shooting 67.5 percent (27-of-40). A Look Back at the Lady Flames' 73-51 Victory Over Gardner-Webb • In a battle between Big South co-leaders Tuesday at the Vines Center, Liberty scorched the nets during a 30-point first quarter and never looked back on the way to their fourth straight win.
• Reigning Big South Player of the Week Catherine Kearney (19 points, 11 rebounds) excelled once again in a 73-51 victory for the Lady Flames over Gardner-Webb.
• Liberty shot 65 percent (13-of-20) from the field, while jumping out to a 30-16 lead after 10 minutes.
• Meanwhile, the Lady Flames nullified any chance of a Gardner-Webb comeback by holding the Runnin' Bulldogs to 26.8 percent (19-of-71) field goal shooting on the night.
• Liberty is now tied with UNC Asheville for first place in the conference standings after recording its 18th straight home win over a Big South opponent.
• The Runnin' Bulldogs' four leading scorers on the season (Olivia Parker, Candace Brown, Alexus Hill and Tierra Huntsman) shot a combined 7-of-33 on the night.
• Liberty won the rebounding battle for the sixth straight game, 56-38. The Lady Flames also committed a season-low 12 turnovers, after totaling a season-high 31 miscues during its first matchup with Gardner-Webb this season. Winning the Battle of the Boards Liberty has outrebounded 15 of 19 opponents this season, including six in a row. The Lady Flames have climbed to No. 28 nationally with a +8.0 rebound margin. Player Trends #1 Mickayla Sanders • Has hit a three-pointer in seven straight games #2 Candice Leatherwood • Hit five-of-six free throws during the final 2:29 of Sunday's victory at Longwood. Leatherwood has attempted more free throws during the final 5:00 of games than any other Lady Flame this season, going 17-of-26 for 65.4 percent in those end-of-game situations.
• After making one of her first eight three-pointers to start her career, Leatherwood is shooting 53.8 percent (7-of-13) from behind the arc during her last 13 games #3 Sadalia Ellis • Only a 24.4 percent three-point shooter for her career, Ellis has made 44.4 percent (12-of-27) of her triples during the eight games since Christmas break
• Averaging career-best figures for field goal percentage, three-point field goal percentage, free throw percentage, rebounds and points this season #5 Stephanie Patton • Father, Steve Patton, played baseball at High Point #10 Jaymee Fisher-Davis • Had made just one of her 17 three-point tries during the previous four games, before going 12-for-26 (46.2 percent) during the last six outings • 76.2 percent (109 of 143) of her career made field goals have been three-pointers, including each of her last 14 made field goals, dating back to the first quarter against Seton Hall (Dec. 12) #21 Mikal Johnson • Nearing a pair of career milestones, as she is six points shy of 500 and eight three-pointers away from 100 #23 Brooke Alexander • Averaging 6.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg and 3.5 apg since joining the starting lineup, helping Liberty go 4-0 in those games
• Has recorded a 25-to-10 assist-to-turnover ratio over the last seven games #34 Katelyn Adams • Pulled down 10 rebounds against Gardner-Webb on Tuesday, recording her third consecutive double-digit rebounding effort
• Needs five blocked shots to pass Jennifer Fairfax for fifth place on Liberty's all-time list
• Adams has tallied six or more rebounds in 15 of 19 games in 2015-16, including seven 10+-rebound efforts. She leads the team in rebounding and ranks third in the Big South. #44 Catherine Kearney • Has scored in double figures in four of eight career matchups with High Point and is shooting 59 percent (23-of-39) for her career versus the Panthers • Named Big South Player of the Week for the first time in her career on Jan. 25 • Paced all players in both points (19) and rebounds (11) during Tuesday's victory over Gardner-Webb for her fourth double-double of the season and the seventh of her career. She also became the 27th Lady Flame to grab 500 career boards. • During the nine games since Ashley Rininger's injury, Kearney is averaging 15.9 ppg, 8.7 rpg and 1.6 bpg while shooting 66.7 percent (58-of-87) from the field and 81.8 percent (27-of-33) from the foul line • Has hit 20 of her last 22 free throw attempts (90.9 percent) #55 Ashley Rininger • Averaged 15.3 ppg and 12.0 rpg during Liberty's three victories over High Point last season
• Suffered a knee injury at Duke on Dec. 17 which is expected to sideline her for 4-6 weeks. Rininger has been in uniform during each of the last two games but has not played.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram