Game Day Central Liberty Game Notes
The Game Fresh off a win on Tuesday, the Liberty men's basketball team returns to action on Saturday to host High Point. The Panthers are tied with UNC Asheville for first place, after defeating the Bulldogs inside the Millis Center, Wednesday night, 73-69. The Flames are looking for their first win over High Point since defeating them in the semifinals of the 2013 Big South Championship (61-60). The Flames are also hoping to end a four-game skid at home against the Panthers, which dates back to the 2010-11 season. Game time is slated for noon, with the contest broadcasting live on the American Sports Network.
Matchup Notes - Liberty leads the Big South in scoring defense on the year, holding teams to 66.8 ppg. In conference games, the Flames are holding their opponents to 63.0 ppg. Longwood's 17 first half points marked the fewest points allowed by the Flames in a single half, this season.
- In conference games, John Dawson is tied for seventh in scoring, averaging 15.0 ppg. The redshirt sophomore is also first in defensive rebounds in Big South games, pulling down 5.8 rebounds per contest.
- Liberty is knocking down just under 10 three-pointers per game in the last six contests (9.5), while holding opponents to six treys per game during the span.
Youth Movement The Flames will rely heavily on fresh faces during the 2015-16 season, as Liberty returns just 16.5 percent of its scoring, 13 percent of its rebounding and 13 percent of its total assists from last year.
In addition, Liberty sports one of the youngest rosters in NCAA Division I, this season, with 11 out of 12 players being underclassmen (approximately 92 percent). The Flames are comprised of six freshmen and five sophomores.
Youngest Programs in NCAA Division I - Based on Percentage of Underclassmen Liberty - 92% Ohio State - 85% Fairleigh Dickinson - 85% Wyoming - 80%
Notes and Anecdotes - Liberty is 13-5 all-time when playing the Panthers inside the Vines Center. The Flames' most notable victory over High Point occurred on March 6, 2004, as they captured their second Big South Championship with an 89-44 victory in the finals of the Big South Championship. On the flip side, the Panthers' most significant win in the Vines Center occurred when No. 7 High Point upset No. 2 Liberty in the 2011 Big South Championship quarterfinals, 66-60 (March 1, 2011).
- Prior to the 2010-11 season, the Panthers had just one win in the Vines Center (73-58, Jan. 24, 2002). Despite being 5-13 all-time in the facility, High Point has won the last four meetings against the Flames in the Vines Center, with Liberty's last win at home occurring on Feb. 12, 2011 (65-54).
- Out of Liberty's three active returners, Ryan Kemrite was the only one to light up the scoring column, finishing with five points in 22 minutes of action. Center Evan Maxwell played just three minutes during the contest.
- High Point has nine returners who played against the Flames, last season. Adam Weary had 17 points, while Jorge Perez-Laham had 12 tallies. Liberty held John Brown to seven points.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram