Game Day Central Liberty Game Notes
Matchup Notes - Liberty will look to prevent the Fighting Irish from capitalizing off turnovers. In the Flames' previous two meetings with Notre Dame, the Fighting Irish have outscored Liberty off turnovers a combined 54-14.
- The Fighting Irish are 2-0 in the all-time series against the Flames, with the two teams squaring off for the first time in over five years. In the pair of games, Notre Dame has defeated Liberty by an average margin of 20 points.
- After coming off the bench the previous five contests, Ryan Kemrite received the starting nod versus VCU, finishing with a game-high 17 points. The redshirt sophomore also led Liberty in rebounding with six boards.
- Following back-to-back 15-point performances in his first two games with the Flames, Marquette transfer John Dawson remained consistent Sunday against VCU. The redshirt sophomore guard concluded the afternoon with 14 points, including 12 in the second half.
- Despite coming into Sunday's contest against the Rams second in the nation in field goal percentage, Evan Maxwell finished 3-of-7 from the field. The 6-10 big man and leading scorer for Liberty will look to bounce back from the seven-point performance after seeing his streak of six straight games with double-digit scoring figures snapped.
Notes and Anecdotes - While Tuesday's contest will be the first time Ritchie McKay has coached against Notre Dame as a head coach, it is not the first time he has stood across from the Fighting Irish. During McKay's time at Virginia as associate head coach, the Cavaliers squared off with Notre Dame on three occasions the past two seasons. Virginia went 3-0 against the Fighting Irish during the span, which included a 62-56 victory at Purcell Pavilion, last year (Jan. 10, 2015). In McKay's final two seasons at Virginia, the Cavaliers went 32-4 in ACC play.
- Liberty is 5-33 all-time against current members of the ACC. The Flames are 0-5 versus Clemson, 0-1 against Duke, 0-1 against North Carolina, 0-2 versus NC State, 0-2 versus Notre Dame, 2-7 against Virginia, 3-14 against Virginia Tech and 0-1 versus Wake Forest.
- Ritchie McKay is 1-5 all-time as a head coach against current ACC members. McKay is 0-1 versus Clemson, 0-1 versus Duke, 1-0 against Virginia, 0-1 against Virginia Tech and 0-2 versus Wake Forest. During McKay's first stint with the Flames, Liberty upset Virginia at John Paul Jones Arena, 86-82. Seth Curry and Kyle Ohman each had 26 points in the contest, while Anthony Smith chipped in 21 for the Flames.
- Despite being first among Big South schools in rebounding defense (32.3 rpg), the Flames are 11th in the league in rebounds per game (29.3).
- Liberty is looking for its first win away from the Vines Center since the 2013-14 season. The Flames' last road win occurred on Feb. 22, 2014, when Liberty defeated Campbell at Gore Arena, 79-59.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram