Game Day Central Liberty Game Notes
Matchup Notes - Sunday marks the seventh meeting all-time between Liberty and VCU, with the Rams holding a 5-1 lead in the series. Sunday's contest will be the first time the two teams have met in over 17 years.
- The Flames and Rams share a common opponent this season in Radford. The Rams hosted the Highlanders on Nov. 16, earning the 92-74 decision. Melvin Johnson led VCU with 24 points. Liberty squared off with Radford inside the Highlanders' Dedmon Center on Dec. 3, narrowly dropping the contest, 56-52. Evan Maxwell closed out the night with a career-high 24 points.
- Redshirt sophomore guard John Dawson followed up his 15-point debut at Princeton with a 15-point, 10-rebound effort at St. Francis Brooklyn. The Clovis, N.M., native missed the first 11 games due the NCAA transfer rule, after transferring from Marquette to Liberty midway through the 2014-15 campaign.
- Evan Maxwell is currently second in the nation in field goal percentage (.710) according to the NCAA national statistical rankings. The sophomore center is also the Big South leader in the category. The Flames' leading scorer has posted double-digit scoring figures in six straight contests.
Notes and Anecdotes - Following his first stint at Liberty, current assistant coach Kyle Getter played an integral part in VCU's success in the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons, which included a remarkable run to the 2011 Final Four with wins over USC, Georgetown, Purdue, Florida State and Kansas. While on Shaka Smart's staff as the director of basketball operations, the Rams posted 55 wins over two seasons, the highest total over any two-year span in program history.
- During Getter's two years with the Rams, he served alongside current VCU head coach and then assistant coach Will Wade. In Wade's first stint as an assistant with the Rams (2009-13), VCU went 113-37 in four seasons with three NCAA Tournament appearances.
- While Liberty head coach Ritchie McKay has never squared off with the VCU as a head coach, Sunday's contest marks the third straight season he has stood across from the Rams. In McKay's final two seasons as associate head coach at Virginia, the Cavaliers went 1-1 against VCU. No. 25 Virginia welcomed No. 14 VCU to John Paul Jones Arena on Nov. 12, 2013, falling to the Rams, 59-56. UVa avenged the loss last season as the No. 8 ranked team in the country, defeating VCU in the Siegel Center, 74-57 (Dec. 6, 2014).
- Liberty is 7-20 against current members of the Atlantic 10. The Flames are 2-2 against Davidson, 0-1 versus Duquesne, 3-6 against George Mason, 1-3 versus, Richmond, 0-2 against St. Bonaventure, 0-1 versus Saint Joseph's and 1-5 against VCU. - Liberty head coach Ritchie McKay holds a 1-3 mark all-time against current members of the A10. McKay is 1-1 against George Mason, 0-1 versus St. Bonaventure and 0-1 against Saint Louis. During the 2008-09 season with the Liberty, McKay and the Flames defeated George Mason in overtime, 69-66 (Dec. 1, 2008) and lost to Saint Louis, 73-70 (Dec. 19, 2008).
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram