Scores & Schedule Close keyboard_arrow_down

Team News

Terriers Rally in 2nd Half to Defeat Flames

December 20, 2015  Brooklyn Heights, N.Y.  RSS
|   Share
Anthony Fields

Anthony Fields

Despite Liberty holding a three-point lead at halftime inside the Pope Physical Education Center, the St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers rallied in the second period to pick up the 64-55 decision.

Liberty trailed by three points with less than two minutes remaining, but the Terriers used a 6-0 run to hold off the Flames.

For the second straight game, John Dawson closed out the afternoon with 15 points, while also grabbing 10 boards to complete the double-double. Flames' leading scorer this season Evan Maxwell finished with 10 tallies.

SFC's Tyreek Jewell led all players with 17 points and 11 rebounds. Antonio Jenifer also had 15 points and seven rebounds for the Terriers.

Liberty falls to 3-10 on the year, suffering its ninth straight defeat. SFC improves to 4-7 on the year, snapping a three-game skid.

The Flames closed the contest shooting 43.8 percent (21-of-48) from the field, compared to 34.6 percent (18-of-52) for SFC. Liberty commanded the paint, 28-12, but the Terriers outscored the Flames from three-point land (36-15) and at the foul line (16-8).

Liberty jumped out to an early 4-0 lead, but a Jewell three-pointer put the Terriers within one. The Flames responded with an 11-0 run, relying heavily on defensive stops and solid three-point shooting. Liberty received treys from A.C. Reid, Ryan Kemrite and Dawson during the span. Lovell Cabbil capped the burst with a layup at 13:06, giving the Flames a 15-3 lead.

The Terriers countered with an 11-2 run of their own over the next 4:24. SFC utilized the three-ball, as well, cementing the burst with a Jenifer trifecta to pull within three. Liberty then posted five unanswered points, including a Ryan Hiepler three-pointer to make it 22-14 at 6:49.

SFC cut into the deficit before halftime, outscoring the Flames, 11-6, in the remaining minutes of the half. Two Jewell free throws put the Terriers within three of the Flames at halftime, 28-25.

Liberty outscored the Terriers in the paint, 12-0. The Flames shot 45.4 percent (11-of-24) in the period, while holding SFC to 25.0 percent (6-of-24).

Jenifer led all scorers at the half with eight points. Dawson, Hiepler and Reid paced the Flames with five points apiece.

The Terriers took a 31-30 lead briefly in the early minutes of the second half. The Flames countered with a 10-1 run, receiving traditional three-point plays from Maxwell and Dawson. However, the game of runs continued, with SFC utilizing a 13-2 burst to take a three-point lead. Jewell highlighted the hot streak with eight points. Free throws from Maxwell and Dawson allowed the Flames to knot the contest, 45-45, at 8:36.

SFC took a six-point lead following a Hopkins three-pointer with 2:26 remaining. A Dawson three-pointer cut the deficit to three, but the Flames were unable to climb any closer en route to the 64-55 final.

The Flames will receive a weeklong break over the Christmas holiday before heading to VCU next Sunday. Tipoff with the Rams is slated for 5 p.m.