The Liberty women's soccer team looks to regain first place in the Big South Conference standings when it welcomes Coastal Carolina to Osborne Stadium, Saturday at 1 p.m. The Chanticleers (10-5-1, 6-1-1 Big South) occupy the top spot, holding a slight edge over the hosting Lady Flames (8-7-1, 6-2-0 Big South).
Prior to the Homecoming Weekend matchup, Liberty will honor its six seniors – Brittany Aanderud, Jaime Bouffard, Crystal Elmers, Madison Kauzlarich, Alex Mack and Rebekah Page. The program will also recognize its alumni at halftime.
How to Follow the Lady Flames A free live video stream will be available courtesy of the Liberty Flames Sports Network and the Big South Network. Live stats powered by StatBroadcast will also be available by clicking the appropriate link on the women's soccer schedule/results panel on LibertyFlames.com.
A Look at Liberty After a tough loss at home last Saturday, the Liberty women's soccer team returned to the win column, Wednesday night, defeating Winthrop at Eagle Field, 3-0.
A trio of Lady Flames posted goals for Liberty – freshman forward Devon Jones, sophomore midfielder Jordan Kestel and freshman midfielder Lauren Weygandt. Jones and Kestel each added assists, while sophomore forward Jennifer Knoebel contributed a helper on Kestel's marker.
With the win, Liberty moved to 8-7-1 overall and 6-2 in Big South action.
Liberty goalkeeper Holly Van Noord played in between the posts during the first period, finishing with two saves. Tori Collar stepped in for the second stanza, making three saves. Van Noord currently leads the league in saves with 92.
Sophomore forward Jennifer Knoebel leads the Lady Flames' attack with 15 points on five goals and five assists. Aanderud has three goals on the year along, with a quartet of assists for a total of 10 points. Jones, who has four goals and one assist this season is one of seven players in the Big South with three game-winning goals.
Coastal Carolina at a Glance Coastal Carolina enters Saturday's matchup coming off a 4-1 win over Radford, Wednesday. Kayla Christian led the Chanticleers with two goals, while Amber Adams and Sam Patterson each chipped in a marker.
Christian paces Coastal Carolina with 19 points on eight goals and three assists, followed by Daniella Familia, who has seven goals and two helpers. Adams has netted five goals and is the team's assist leader with six.
Goalkeeper Becca Austin has appeared in 16 games. The netminder owns a goals-against average of 1.17 and has 71 saves (.807).
Lady Flames News and Notes • Sophomore forward Jennifer Knoebel was named the Big South Attacking Player of the Week on Oct. 5. Knoebel earned the honor after her performances in victories over Campbell and UNC Asheville. The honor marked Knoebel's first-ever weekly conference award and the first for the Lady Flames, this season.
• Following an assist in Liberty's victory over High Point, Brittany Aanderud now has 60 career points, sitting only behind Nancy (Davis) White (1998-2001), who closed out her Liberty career with 106 points.
• Liberty is undefeated in overtime games, this season, sporting a 2-0-1 record. The Lady Flames played Tennessee to a scoreless draw on Aug. 28. Liberty then defeated VCU, 1-0, thanks to a golden goal in the 96th minute by Madison Kauzlarich. On Sept. 23, the Lady Flames defeated Radford, 3-2, with 20 seconds left in double overtime, receiving a golden goal from Devon Jones.
• Two current Lady Flames sit atop the program record books in different categories. Holly Van Noord is the program's all-time leader in career shutouts with 29. Van Noord garnered the record in her first two active seasons, surpassing former teammate Karen Blocker (2008-12, 20) with her 21st career shutout in a 2-0 win over High Point (Oct. 11, 2014). She is also currently fourth all-time in program history with 264 career saves.
• In addition to Van Noord, Brittany Aanderud is also the program leader in assists with 28. Aanderud broke the previous record of 20 held by Nancy (Davis) White (1998-01), recording a helper in Liberty's 8-0 win over UNC Asheville (Oct. 1, 2014). The Fullerton, Calif., native needs two more helpers to break the current Big South record of 29 assists.
• In Liberty's matchup versus UC Riverside on Aug. 23, goalkeeper Holly Van Noord finished the contest with 13 saves, tying her career high, which she set two years to the day (Aug. 23, 2013) in her first collegiate match against Charlotte.
Coming Up Next Liberty will close out the Big South regular-season slate on Tuesday, squaring off with Longwood in Farmville, Va. Game time is slated for 7 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram