Sitting atop the Big South standings with a 5-1 record, the Liberty women's soccer team returns to Osborne Stadium on Saturday to host Gardner-Webb. The Lady Flames are 5-1-4 all-time against the Runnin' Bulldogs and look to add to their current 14-game unbeaten streak at home. Game time is slated for 3 p.m.
How to Follow the Lady Flames A free live video stream will be available courtesy of the Liberty Flames Sports Network and the Big South Network. Live stats powered by StatBroadcast will also be available by clicking the appropriate link on the women's soccer schedule/results panel on LibertyFlames.com.
A Look at Liberty The Liberty women's soccer team returned to the win column, last Saturday, defeating defending Big South Champion High Point, 1-0, at Osborne Stadium.
Sophomore forward Jennifer Knoebel posted the contest's lone goal for the Lady Flames early in the first half, with senior midfielder Brittany Aanderud providing the assist. Knoebel now leads the team with 15 points and five goals on the year. The Warrenton, Va., native is also the team's leader in assists with five.
Aanderud's assist was her fourth on the season. The helper extended Aanderud's program record (28) and tied her for second all-time in Big South history. She currently has 60 points for her Liberty career.
Goalkeeper Holly Van Noord played the entire 90 minutes, finishing with six saves. Van Noord now leads the conference with 87 total saves. Van Noord is also second in the Big South with six shutouts.
With the win, Liberty moved to 7-6-1 overall and 5-1 in Big South play. Liberty leads the all-time series over High Point, 15-10-3. Liberty is 5-0-1 at Osborne Stadium, this year, increasing its current unbeaten streak to 14 games on its home field. The Lady Flames are 13-0-1 at home, dating back to Sept. 11, 2014.
Gardner-Webb at a Glance Gardner-Webb enters Saturday's matchup with a 4-8-3 overall record and a 1-4-1 mark in conference play. The Runnin' Bulldogs are led by Shelby Hooe, who has seven goals on the season. Brandi Arey has four goals and paces the team with four assists. Goalkeeper Keely Brown has played all 15 contests in between the posts. She currently owns a 1.20 goals-against average and has 71 saves (.789).
Lady Flames News and Notes • Sophomore forward Jennifer Knoebel was named the Big South Attacking Player on Oct. 5. Knoebel earned the honor after her performances in victories over Campbell and UNC Asheville. The honor marked Knoebel's first-ever weekly conference award and the first for the Lady Flames, this season.
• Liberty is currently on a 14-game unbeaten streak at home dating back to last season. The Lady Flames are 13-0-1 during the span at Osborne Stadium, with their last home loss occurring on Sept. 7, 2014 against George Washington (1-0). Liberty has outscored its opponents, 29-3, at home during the span.
• The Lady Flames are also a combined 21-4-2 in conference play, dating back to the 2013 season. During the 27-game span, Liberty has outscored its opponents, 53-18, and collected 14 total shutouts.
• Following an assist in Liberty's victory over High Point, Brittany Aanderud now has 60 career points, sitting only behind Nancy (Davis) White (1998-2001), who closed out her Liberty career with 106 points.
• Liberty is undefeated in overtime games, this season, sporting a 2-0-1 record. The Lady Flames played Tennessee to a scoreless draw on Aug. 28. Liberty then defeated VCU, 1-0, thanks to a golden goal in the 96th minute by Madison Kauzlarich. On Sept. 23, the Lady Flames defeated Radford, 3-2, with 20 seconds left in double overtime, receiving a golden goal from Devon Jones.
• Two current Lady Flames sit atop the program record books in different categories. Holly Van Noord is the program's all-time leader in career shutouts with 29. Van Noord garnered the record in her first two active seasons, surpassing former teammate Karen Blocker (2008-12, 20) with her 21st career shutout in a 2-0 win over High Point (Oct. 11, 2014).
• In addition to Van Noord, Brittany Aanderud is also the program leader in assists with 28. Aanderud broke the previous record of 20 held by Nancy (Davis) White (1998-01), recording a helper in Liberty's 8-0 win over UNC Asheville (Oct. 1, 2014).
• In Liberty's matchup versus UC Riverside on Aug. 23, goalkeeper Holly Van Noord finished the contest with 13 saves, tying her career high, which she set two years to the day (Aug. 23, 2013) in her first collegiate match against Charlotte.
Coming Up Next Liberty hits the road again on Wednesday for a matchup against Winthrop. Game time is set for 6 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram