Holly Van Noord
The Liberty women's soccer team returns to action on Saturday, playing host to High Point at 4 p.m. The contest is the second half of a double header, which features the Flames soccer team versus Gardner-Webb at noon.
The Lady Flames lead the all-time series versus High Point with a 14-10-3 all-time record. Liberty and High Point most recently met in the finals of the 2014 Big South Championship, resulting in the Panthers winning the title via penalty kicks following a 2-2 tie (Nov. 9, 2014).
Liberty looks to remain unbeaten at Osborne Stadium, as the Lady Flames are 4-0-1 at home this season heading into Saturday's contest.
How to Follow the Lady Flames A free live video stream will be available courtesy of the Liberty Flames Sports Network and the Big South Network. Live stats powered by StatBroadcast will also be available by clicking the appropriate link on the women's soccer schedule/results panel on LibertyFlames.com.
A Look at Liberty The Liberty women's soccer team stepped onto the field at Presbyterian's Martin Stadium with an unblemished 4-0 record in Big South play, Wednesday night. However, despite outshooting the Blue Hose in the contest, 16-11, the home team was undeterred, scoring a pair of goals for the 2-0 Presbyterian victory.
With the defeat, Liberty is now 6-6-1 overall and 4-1 in conference action. The loss snaps the Lady Flames' four-game win streak.
Liberty goalkeeper Holly Van Noord, who entered the contest as the Big South's leader in saves (81), played the entire 90 minutes, making six stops.
Jennifer Knoebel, the reigning Big South Attacking Player of the week, leads the Lady Flames with 13 points, four goals and five assists. Senior midfielder Brittany Aanderud has a trio of goals and assists, this season, while freshman Devon Jones has three markers.
Along with her save total, Van Noord is also second in the conference with five shutouts, this year. She enters Saturday's matchup with a 1.13 goals-against average and an .844 save percentage.
In conference games, Liberty is second in the Big South in points (26), goals (8) and assists (5).
High Point at a Glance High Point is 7-2-4 overall and 2-1-1 in the Big South following a 0-0 draw with Coastal Carolina on Wednesday. Sophomore Alex Persiani had six saves against the Chanticleers to notch her conference-best sixth shutout of the season.
Offensively, redshirt junior Kelsey Perrell and sophomores Bri Jean-Charles, Michele Micciche and Becca Rolfe are all tied for the team lead with six points through 13 games. Rolfe and Micciche are also tied for the team lead in goals with three each. Sophomores Taylor Romano and Meredith Dunker both have three assists this season to pace the Panthers.
Defensively, High Point has allowed only six goals in 13 games. Persiani has played 10 games in goal and is 4-2-4 with a 0.48 goals-against average and an .886 save percentage. The sophomore has allowed one goal in the past five games and currently has a scoreless streak of 320 minutes.
Lady Flames News and Notes • Sophomore forward Jennifer Knoebel was named the Big South Attacking Player on Monday. Knoebel earned the honor after her performances in victories over Campbell and UNC Asheville. The honor marked Knoebel's first-ever weekly conference award and the first for the Lady Flames, this season.
• Liberty is currently on a 13-game unbeaten streak at home dating back to last season. The Lady Flames are 12-0-1 during the span at Osborne Stadium, with their last home loss occurring on Sept. 7, 2014 against George Washington (1-0). Liberty has outscored its opponents, 28-3, at home during the span.
• The Lady Flames are also a combined 20-4-2 in conference play, dating back to the 2013 season. During the 26-game span, Liberty has outscored its opponents, 53-18, and collected 14 total shutouts.
• Following an assist in Liberty's victory over Campbell, on Sept. 30, Brittany Aanderud now has 59 career points, sitting only behind Nancy (Davis) White (1998-2001), who closed out her Liberty career with 106 points.
• Liberty is undefeated in overtime games, this season, sporting a 2-0-1 record. The Lady Flames played Tennessee to a scoreless draw on Aug. 28. Liberty then defeated VCU, 1-0, thanks to a golden goal in the 96th minute by Madison Kauzlarich. On Sept. 23, the Lady Flames defeated Radford, 3-2, with 20 seconds left in double overtime, receiving a golden goal from Devon Jones.
• Two current Lady Flames sit atop the program record books in different categories. Holly Van Noord is the program's all-time leader in career shutouts with 28. Van Noord garnered the record in her first two active seasons, surpassing former teammate Karen Blocker (2008-12, 20) with her 21st career shutout in a 2-0 win over High Point (Oct. 11, 2014).
• In addition to Van Noord, Brittany Aanderud is also the program leader in assists with 27. Aanderud broke the previous record of 20 held by Nancy (Davis) White (1998-01), recording a helper in Liberty's 8-0 win over UNC Asheville (Oct. 1, 2014).
• In Liberty's matchup versus UC Riverside on Aug. 23, goalkeeper Holly Van Noord finished the contest with 13 saves, tying her career high, which she set two years to the day (Aug. 23, 2013) in her first collegiate match against Charlotte.
Coming Up Next Liberty will receive a week-long break from on-field action before returning to Osborne Stadium next Saturday. The Lady Flames will host Gardner-Webb at 3 p.m., with the contest streaming live on the Big South Network and the Liberty Flames Sports Network.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram