After back-to-back wins to start conference play, the Liberty women's soccer team returns to Osborne Stadium on Wednesday to host Campbell at 3 p.m.
Both teams enter the matchup undefeated in Big South play. Tied at 4-4-1 in the all-time series, Liberty played Campbell to a scoreless draw during the 2014 regular season (Sept. 27), before earning a 2-1 win in the semifinals of the Big South Championship (Nov. 7).
Liberty is 3-0-1 at home this season and is 11-0-1 in its last 12 games Osborne Stadium, dating back to last season. The Lady Flames home unbeaten streak is its best in program history, surpassing an eight-game run during the 2000 season. Liberty's current streak began with a 1-0 win over Davidson on Sept. 11, 2014.
How to Follow the Lady Flames A free live video stream will be available courtesy of the Liberty Flames Sports Network and the Big South Network. Live stats powered by StatBroadcast will also be available by clicking the appropriate link on the women's soccer schedule/results panel on LibertyFlames.com.
A Look at Liberty The Liberty women's soccer team picked up its second straight Big South victory, Saturday afternoon, defeating Charleston Southern, 2-0, at Osborne Stadium.
After a scoreless first half, Liberty found its rhythm, receiving goals from Crystal Elmers and Jennifer Knoebel. Knoebel also earned an assist on the goal by Elmers, earning a helper in her second consecutive game. Elmers' goal was her first of the season.
With the victory, Liberty moved to 4-5-1 overall and 2-0 in conference play, while the Buccaneers fall to 2-4-2 and 0-2 in Big South action. The Lady Flames have now won three straight contests against the Buccaneers. Liberty is undefeated through the first two games of conference play for the fifth consecutive season.
Liberty goalkeeper Holly Van Noord earned her fourth shutout of the season and 27th of her career, finishing with six saves on Saturday. The netminder leads the Big South in saves (67) and is tied for first in the conference with four shutouts on the year.
The Lady Flames outshot the Buccaneers, 25-7, and held a 6-3 advantage on corner kicks. Brittany Aanderud leads the Lady Flames with eight points and three goals, this season. Jennifer Knoebel paces the Flames in assists with three and is second on the team in total points (7).
Campbell at a Glance The Camels enter Wednesday's contest with a 7-3 record (2-0 Big South) after defeating UNC Asheville on Sunday, 5-1. Ashley Clark closed out the afternoon with two goals and three assists, earning Big South Attacking Player of the Week honors. Clark leads the conference in goals (9) and total points (24) and is second in the league with six assists.
Goalkeeper Alexis Connors is tied for the league lead in shutouts (4) with Van Noord and Gardner-Webb's Keely Brown, earning her most recent clean sheet in a Campbell's 1-0 victory over Charleston Southern. The Big South Defensive Player of the Week has 47 saves this season and a goals-against average of 0.95.
Lady Flames News and Notes • Jennifer Knoebel recorded her first of the season with three or more points, Saturday. It is the third time the forward has had three or more points during a single game in her career, and the first since an 8-0 victory over UNC Asheville (Oct. 1, 2014).
• Following a goal and assist in Liberty's 3-2 win over Radford, Brittany Aanderud now has 58 career points, sitting only behind Nancy (Davis) White (1998-2001), who closed out her Liberty career with 106 points.
• Liberty is undefeated in overtime games, this season, sporting a 2-0-1 record. The Lady Flames played Tennessee to a scoreless draw on Aug. 28. Liberty then defeated VCU, 1-0, thanks to a golden goal in the 96th minute by Madison Kauzlarich. This past Wednesday, the Lady Flames defeated Radford, 3-2, with 20 seconds left in double overtime, receiving a golden goal from Devon Jones.
• Two current Lady Flames sit atop the program record books in different categories. Holly Van Noord is the program's all-time leader in career shutouts with 27. Van Noord garnered the record in her first two active seasons, surpassing former teammate Karen Blocker (2008-12, 20) with her 21st career shutout in a 2-0 win over High Point (Oct. 11, 2014).
• In addition to Van Noord, Brittany Aanderud is also the program leader in assists with 26. Aanderud broke the previous record of 20 held by Nancy (Davis) White (1998-01), recording a helper in Liberty's 8-0 win over UNC Asheville (Oct. 1, 2014).
• In Liberty's matchup versus UC Riverside on Aug. 23, goalkeeper Holly Van Noord finished the contest with 13 saves, tying her career high, which she set two years to the day (Aug. 23, 2013) in her first collegiate match against Charlotte.
• The Lady Flames have two pairs of sisters on the current roster. Sophomore defender Ashleigh Hill has started each of Liberty's 10 contests, this season. Her younger sister and freshman midfielder Alyssa Hill made her first career start against UC Riverside on Aug. 23 and has started five games. Twin sisters Devon and Hadley Jones are also on the Lady Flames' roster. Hadley, a freshman defender, made her Liberty debut versus Fullerton, Aug. 21. Her sister Devon, made her Liberty debut on Sept. 13 versus VCU. She was instrumental in Liberty's 3-2 win over Radford on Sept. 23, scoring two goals, including the game-winner.
Coming Up Next Liberty hits the road on Saturday, squaring off with UNC Asheville. Game time is slated for 1 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram