Fresh off a double overtime victory over Radford, the Liberty women's soccer team returns to Osborne Stadium on Saturday, squaring off with Charleston Southern at 4 p.m. The contest is part of a doubleheader with the men's team playing Winthrop at noon.
Charleston Southern leads the all-time series against the Lady Flames with a 12-10-3 record. However, Liberty is looking for its third straight win over the Buccaneers after defeating the conference foe for the last two seasons. In its most recent outing versus Charleston Southern, Liberty defeated the Buccaneers, 4-1, at Blackbaud Stadium (Sept. 24, 2014).
How to Follow the Lady Flames A free live video stream will be available courtesy of the Liberty Flames Sports Network and the Big South Network. Live stats powered by StatBroadcast will also be available by clicking the appropriate link on the women's soccer schedule/results panel on LibertyFlames.com.
A Look at Liberty The Liberty women's soccer team appeared to be on its way to a draw with Radford, Wednesday night, before a golden goal by Devon Jones erased the potential tie, giving the Lady Flames a 3-2 victory at Patrick D. Cupp Stadium.
With 20 seconds left in double overtime, sophomore forward Jennifer Knoebel headed the ball forward to Jones from the top of the box. The freshman capitalized on an open goal opportunity, scoring her second marker of the night and propelling Liberty to a conference opening win.
Liberty is now 3-5-1 on the season and 1-0 in Big South action, while Radford moves to 5-4 and 0-1 in conference play. The Lady Flames win over the Highlanders' marked its first at Cupp Stadium since a 2-1 victory on Oct. 6, 2006.
Appearing in her third game this season, Jones led the Lady Flames with two goals. Entering the contest needing one point to take sole possession of second place on Liberty's all-time career points list, senior midfielder Brittany Aanderud netted a goal while also assisting on Jones' first marker. Aanderud now has 58 career points, sitting only behind Nancy (Davis) White (1998-2001), who closed out her Liberty career with 106 points.
In addition to Aanderud, Knoebel also earned an assist, while Alyssa Hill was credited with helpers on both of Jones' goals.
Liberty goalkeeper and Big South saves leader (61) Holly Van Noord played the entire 109:40, finishing with six saves.
Charleston Southern at a Glance Charleston Southern enters the contest with a 2-3-2 record after dropping its last two contests. The Buccaneers were edged in their Big South opener, Wednesday, falling to Campbell, 1-0.
Anna Sells paces Charleston Southern's offense with four goals on the season, followed by Erica Gazzani, who has two goals and two assists. Lydia Frierson leads the Buccaneers with three helpers.
Lady Flames News and Notes • Liberty is undefeated in overtime games, this season, sporting a 2-0-1 record. The Lady Flames played Tennessee to a scoreless draw on Aug. 28. Liberty then defeated VCU, 1-0, thanks to a golden goal in the 96th minute by Madison Kauzlarich. This past Wednesday, the Lady Flames defeated Radford, 3-2, with 20 seconds left in double overtime, receiving a golden goal from Devon Jones.
• In Liberty's matchup versus UC Riverside on Aug. 23, goalkeeper Holly Van Noord finished the contest with 13 saves, tying her career high, which she set two years to the day (Aug. 23, 2013) in her first collegiate match against Charlotte.
• Two current Lady Flames sit atop the program record books in different categories. Holly Van Noord is the program's all-time leader in career shutouts with 26. Van Noord garnered the record in her first two active seasons, surpassing former teammate Karen Blocker (2008-12, 20) with her 21st career shutout in a 2-0 win over High Point (Oct. 11, 2014).
• In addition to Van Noord, Brittany Aanderud is also the program leader in assists with 26. Aanderud broke the previous record of 20 held by Nancy (Davis) White (1998-01), recording a helper in Liberty's 8-0 win over UNC Asheville (Oct. 1, 2014).
• Liberty was voted the preseason favorite in the Big South Conference Women's Soccer Preseason Poll by the league's head coaches. Holly Van Noord was voted Preseason Defensive Player of the Year for the second consecutive season. Van Noord was also the 2014 Big South Defensive Player of the Year.
• The Lady Flames have two pairs of sisters on the current roster. Sophomore defender Ashleigh Hill has started Liberty's first nine contests, this season. Her younger sister and freshman midfielder Alyssa Hill made her first career start against UC Riverside on Aug. 23 and has started four games. Twin sisters Devon and Hadley Jones are also on the Lady Flames' roster. Hadley, a freshman defender, made her Liberty debut versus Fullerton, Aug. 21. Her sister Devon, made her Liberty debut on Sept. 13 versus VCU. She was instrumental in Liberty's 3-2 win over Radford on Wednesday, scoring the two goals, including the game-winner.
Coming Up Next Liberty continues play at Osborne Stadium, playing host to Campbell, Wednesday at 3 p.m. The contest will stream live on the Liberty Flames Sports Network and Big South Network.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram