Scores & Schedule Close keyboard_arrow_down

Team News

Liberty and Tennessee Play to Scoreless Draw

August 28, 2015  Lynchburg, Va.  RSS
|   Share
|   Photos
Video Views: 22482

The Liberty women's soccer team made its 2015 Osborne Stadium debut, Friday, hosting Tennessee for the first time in program history. In a very even matchup, each team took eight shots on goal, but could not find the net en route to a scoreless tie.

After three contests, Liberty is now 0-2-1 on the season, while the Lady Volunteers are 1-0-2.

Liberty goalkeeper Holly Van Noord made eight saves in the double overtime contest to record her first shutout of the season and 24th of her career. Tennessee's Julie Eckel also recorded eight saves and a shutout in the matchup, garnering her 26th all-time.

Liberty struck first in the opening 42 seconds. Baylee Gillmore chipped a close range shot at the Tennessee net, but Eckel was there to make the stop. Later in the 10th minute, senior midfielder Brittany Aanderud sent a low ball at the goal frame, forcing Eckel to make a sliding save to keep the contest scoreless.

Senior forward Crystal Elmers and Aanderud each posted a shot on goal in the 21st and 23rd minute, respectively. Once again, Eckel made two more saves to keep the Lady Flames off the board.

The Lady Volunteers began to settle in during the 24th minute, as Anna Bialczak fired a shot that was stopped by Van Noord. Danielle Marcello tested the netminder again 10 minutes later, resulting in another save. Marcello followed up with another blast in the 37th minute, but the shot ricocheted off the crossbar.

Elmers took Liberty's last shot of the half in the 44th minute. Eckel made her fourth save of the game to keep the contest scoreless at halftime.

Despite being outshot 9-6 in the first period, Tennessee picked up the intensity in the second frame, edging the Lady Flames on shots, 8-6. The Lady Volunteers also set up nine corner kicks in the stanza, compared to four for Liberty.

Senior midfielder Madison Kauzlarich tried to play hero in the 87th minute, airmailing a shot from 25 yards out. Eckel grabbed the ball out the air to prevent the Lady Flames from igniting the board. Tennessee's Amy Neal countered in the closing seconds with a header, but Van Noord stuffed the shot to send the game to overtime.

During the first overtime, Van Noord stopped the only shot on goal, which came from Bialczak in the 92nd minute.

In the second extra period, Neal sent a laser beam shot at Van Noord, who batted it down in the 102nd minute. After another shot from Bialczak in the 107th minute, an Aanderud attempt was stopped by Eckel nearly a minute later.

Brianne Beard made one final shot for the Lady Flames with 18 seconds left. The attempt sailed just wide of the net, leading to the scoreless final.

Liberty returns to Osborne Stadium on Thursday to host Old Dominion. Game time is slated for 3 p.m. and will stream live on the Big South Network and the Liberty Flames Sports Network.