COMPLETE BASEBALL NOTES
Televison: ESPN3 (Fri. & Sat.) Video Streamming: Big South Network (Tues.-Thurs.) Radio Broadcast:100.9 WIQO (Tues.) Live Stats (Provided by Garder-Webb): Tuesday
Quick Hits 1. Liberty enters the 2015 Big South Championship with a 33-21 overall record and finished the Big South regular season with a 16-8 mark in conference play.
2. The Flames tied with Winthrop for third place in the Big South standings. With the Eagles claiming the tie breaker, Liberty is the No. 4 seed for this week's conference tournament.
3. Liberty is making its 19th appearance at the Big South Baseball Championship. The Flames have won four Big South titles, with the last coming in 2013.
4. The Flames will be the No. 4 seed for fifth time in program history. The Flames enter the 2015 championship having compiled a 55-29 overall record in previous tournament appearances.
5. The Flames will be the No. 4 seed for the first time in Head Coach Jim Toman's eight seasons at Liberty. The Flames are 22-11 in the Big South tournament during Toman's tenure.
6. This past weekend, Liberty closed out its regular season by dropping two of the three games in a Big South series with High Point at Liberty Baseball Stadium. The Flames will play High Point, the No. 5 seed, on the first day of the Big South Championship.
Player Notes • 1B/P Alex Close has hit four home runs in his last seven games to bring his season total to seven. With two home runs this past weekend, Close now ranks fourth in program history with 33 career round trippers. Six of his home runs this season have come in Big South contests. • Close finished the regular season among the Big South leaders in batting average, hits, runs scored, RBI, doubles, total bases and on base percentage. • Close collected his team-leading 24th multi-hit game in an 8-7 win over High Point, Saturday. The senior hit his seventh home run of the season and drove in three runs in the contest. In addition, he pitched the final 1 1/3 innings to pick up the victory. • OF/P Ashton Perritt posted his fourth three-hit contest, collecting two doubles and his fifth home run of the year in the Flames' win, Saturday. The senior drove in two runs, including the Flames' go-ahead run on his round tripper in the eighth inning, and scored three times. In addition, he threw out the would-be tying run at home plate to end the game. • Perritt recorded his second save of the year in 7-6 win at Maryland, last Tuesday. The senior is second all-time in program history with 24 saves. • SS Dalton Britt posted his 17th multi-hit game of the season with two hits in Liberty's 7-6 win at Maryland, this past Tuesday. In the contest, Britt and Close hit back-to-back home runs. • LHP Jared Lyons finished the regular season as the Big South leader in complete games (3), shutouts (2) and opponent batting average (.190). He finished second in ERA (1.87) and innings pitched (91.2), third in wins (8) and fourth in strikeouts (91). • Lyons struck out a career-high 11 batters in 7-5 win at Coastal Carolina, May 8. Lyons pitched eight innings to run his record to 8-1 on the year. • Matt Pennington won for the third time in as many starts at Maryland, this past Tuesday. The senior pitched 6 2/3 innings in the 7-6 victory. He struck out a career-high six batters. • Pennington was one of three Liberty student-athletes to receive the prestigious George A. Christenberry Award for Academic Excellence presented by the Big South Conference to the male and female student-athlete who attain the highest GPA during their college careers. • DH Andrew Yacyk is second on the Flames with 19 multi-hit games. Yacyk had two hits and scored a run in the Flames' win over High Point, Saturday. • 19 of Yacyk's 25 RBI have come during Big South games. • OF Will Shepherd had two hits, including his fifth home run of the year, and scored twice, Thursday night against High Point. • Shepherd leads Liberty and finished the regular season tied for sixth in the Big South with 16 stolen bases. • LHP Shawn Clowers is tied for the Big South Conference lead in wins with a 9-4 record. He leads the Flames with 19 appearances. • C Becker Sankey finished the regular season fifth in the Big South in home runs. Six of his home runs came in Big South games, tying him with teammate Close for the conference lead. • LHP Victor Cole completed the regular season among the Big South leaders in several categories. The junior finished seventh in ERA (2.67), tied for seventh in innings pitched (84.1), 10th in strikeouts (74) and third in opponent batting average (.208).
• 3B Clay Keranen reached base in each of his four at bats against High Point, Thursday. He went 2-for-2 and walked twice in the contest.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram