Karly Buer scored her 1,000th career point versus Campbell on Jan. 24.
Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes Game Time: 1 p.m. Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WWMC 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Today's Game Liberty (22-6, 18-1 Big South) will wrap up the 2014-15 regular season at Campbell (18-10, 13-6 Big South) in a battle between two of the hottest teams in the Big South. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. at Gore Arena.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty has clinched the Big South regular-season title and accompanying No. 1 seed for the 2015 VisitMyrtleBeach.com Big South Women's Basketball Championship. Meanwhile, Campbell's tournament seeding is still very much in question. The Lady Camels are tied with High Point for third place in the Big South standings at 13-6, one game behind Radford and one game ahead of Winthrop.
2) Liberty brings a season-long 10-game winning streak into Saturday's matinee. Meanwhile, Campbell has won seven of its last eight outings.
3) Campbell has won nine straight home games and is 13-1 at Gore Arena this season. Liberty has been victorious in four consecutive road games and is 9-4 in 2014-15 road tilts.
4) Coming off of back-to-back double-doubles, Ashley Rininger played extremely well against Campbell during Liberty's Jan. 24 victory over the Lady Camels. Rininger scored 27 points on 13-of-14 field goal shooting, setting a program single-game field goal percentage record (92.9 percent).
5) Emily Frazier has played well down the stretch for the Lady Flames. The redshirt senior guard has scored in double figures in two of her last three games and owns a 24-to-3 assist-to-turnover ratio over her last seven outings.
Liberty vs. Campbell At a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 14-13. Current Streak: Liberty won the most recent meeting. Series Record at Campbell: Campbell leads, 8-3. Current Streak at Campbell: Campbell won the most recent meeting. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 64, Campbell 40 (Jan. 24, 2015 at Liberty) Last Meeting at Campbell: Campbell 61, Liberty 55 (OT) (Feb. 1, 2014) Campbell's Last Series Victory: Campbell 61, Liberty 55 (OT) (Feb. 1, 2014 at CU) Liberty's Last Series Victory at Campbell: Liberty 78, Campbell 56 (Jan. 31, 2013)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 379-127 (16th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Campbell: 7-2
Campbell Head Coach: Wanda Watkins Overall Record (Seasons): 535-423 (34th Season) Record at Campbell (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 13-14
Notes and Anecdotes • Led by Ashley Rininger and Karly Buer, Liberty defeated Campbell by a 64-40 count at the Vines Center on Jan. 24. Rininger set a program single-game field goal percentage record (92.9 percent, 13-of-14) on her way to 27 points. Meanwhile, Buer finished with 10 points, eclipsing the 1,000-point mark for her career in the process.
• Campbell has been tough to beat in Buies Creek this season, going 13-1 at Gore Arena. The Lady Camels have won nine straight home games overall and 10 consecutive Big South home tilts. They will try to join Liberty as the only Big South teams to go 10-0 in home conference games this season. Campbell notched a 61-55 overtime triumph over Liberty at Gore Arena last season (Feb. 1, 2014).
• Liberty and Campbell are two of the Big South's hottest teams heading into the VisitMyrtleBeach.com Big South Women's Basketball Championship. The Lady Flames have won 10 straight games, while the Lady Camels are 7-1 in their last eight contests.
• Campbell has a lot to play for in terms of seeding for the VisitMyrtleBeach.com Big South Women's Basketball Championship on the final day of the regular season. The Lady Camels are currently tied with High Point for third place at 13-6, one game behind second-place Radford and one game ahead of fifth-place Winthrop.
• Senior Kiera Gaines, who will be playing her final game at Gore Arena on Saturday, paces the Lady Camels in scoring (11.7 ppg), rebounding (8.5 rpg) and steals (75).
Finishing Strongly Liberty is 13-2 in its final game of the regular season under head coach Carey Green and has won five regular-season finales in a row.
• Eleven of the 13 times the Lady Flames have won their final regular-season tilt under Green, they have gone on to win the Big South Championship.
Summarizing the Streak Liberty enters Saturday's contest riding a season-long 10-game winning streak. The streak started with a 64-40 home win over Campbell on Jan. 24.
• This is the Lady Flames' 13th win streak of 10 games or more under Carey Green.
• It is Liberty's longest winning streak since Jan. 19-March 10, 2013 (14 games).
Road Warriors The Lady Flames have played well on the road as of late, winning four straight contests away from Lynchburg to improve to 9-4 in road games this season.
• Through Tuesday's games, only 19 teams in the nation had won 10 or more road contests this season. Liberty could join that exclusive group with a victory at Campbell.
Spectacular on Saturday Liberty has won seven straight Saturday contests, with each of the victories coming by double digits.
• The Lady Flames are 10-1 in Saturday this season, with the lone setback coming at Minnesota on Dec. 20.
A Look Back at Liberty's 91-71 Win Over Winthrop • Liberty avenged an earlier setback to defending conference champion Winthrop in emphatic fashion, setting a season high for points in a 91-71 victory, Tuesday at the Vines Center.
• Ashley Rininger led all players with 27 points and 13 rebounds, making sure Winthrop did not become the first team to defeat the Lady Flames three straight times during Carey Green's 16-year tenure as head coach.
• Liberty has now won a season-high 10 straight games overall (its 13th winning streak of 10 games or more under Green), 12 consecutive home games and 23 straight home meetings with Winthrop.
• Fueled by a swarming defense, Liberty took the lead for good during an early 15-0 run. Simone Brown's mid-range jumper at the 12:10 mark punctuated the surge, giving the Lady Flames a 19-5 advantage.
• Aided by a season-high 58 points in the paint, the Lady Flames shot 57.6 percent (38-of-66) from the floor on the night. Liberty is now 100-1 under Green when making at least half of its field goals.
• The Lady Flames outrebounded their 17th straight opponent (47-29) and tallied more bench points than their opponent for the eighth consecutive game (32-22).
• Rininger, who was nearly perfect shooting the basketball (12-14 FG, 3-3 FT), tied her season high of 27 points. It was the redshirt junior's fifth consecutive double-double against Winthrop. She has now notched 10 double-doubles this season and 29 for her career.
• Playing her final regular-season game at the Vines Center, Emily Frazier contributed a season-high 14 points, five rebounds, five assists and zero turnovers. In her last seven games, Frazier has totaled 24 assists and only three turnovers.
What We Know The complete bracket for the 2015 VisitMyrtleBeach.com Big South Women's Basketball Championship will be revealed at the conclusion of Saturday's games. Here is what we know about Liberty's draw.
• As the No. 1 seed, the Lady Flames will play their first game of the tournament Thursday at noon, facing the winner of Tuesday's matchup between the No. 8 and No. 9 seeds.
Darlings of Defense Liberty has played stingy defense during Big South contests this season, ranking first in the conference for points allowed (51.5 ppg) and field goal percentage defense (31.9). The Lady Flames have held 10 of their 19 conference foes below the 50-point mark.
Taking Care of the Ball The Lady Flames turned the ball over only nine times against Charleston Southern on Feb. 21, marking their third game out of the last seven with 10 turnovers or fewer.
• Liberty's season average of 17.0 turnovers per game is its lowest since 1998-99 (16.7).
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram