(L-R): Seniors Karly Buer, Jasmine Gardner, Emily Frazier and Ellee Rollins will be recognized on Saturday.
Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes
Game Time: 1 p.m. Official Tipoff: 1:05 p.m.
TV Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV (Tape-delayed at 7 p.m.) Big South Network (Live) Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo Sideline Reporter: Monika McKenzie Halftime/Postgame Reporters: Lyndsay Keith, Adam Deyo and Heather Stephens
Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WWMC 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall Color Commentator: Emily Stotmeister
Today's Game Liberty (20-6, 16-1 Big South) will begin its final homestand of the 2014-15 regular season with a Saturday matchup with Charleston Southern (5-21, 1-16 Big South). Tipoff is slated for 1 p.m. inside the Vines Center. Karly Buer, Emily Frazier, Jasmine Gardner and Ellee Rollins will be honored during a pregame Senior Night ceremony.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty has wrapped up the Big South regular-season title and the No. 1 seed for the VisitMyrtleBeach.com Big South Women's Basketball Championship. With one more victory, the Lady Flames will become the first Big South women's basketball team ever to win 17 conference games in a single season.
2) The Lady Flames have won a season-high eight games in a row, as well as 10 straight home games and 20 consecutive home meetings with Charleston Southern. Conversely, the Buccaneers have lost 21 straight contests away from the Buc Dome.
3) Liberty will seek to continue utilizing its winning recipe of strong defense (No. 12 nationally in field goal percentage defense, 34.6 percent), rebounding (No. 14 nationally, +9.1) and free throw shooting (No. 15 nationally, 75.3 percent.)
4) Ashley Rininger enters Saturday's game seven points shy of 1,000 for her career. She is aiming to become the 15th Lady Flame ever to reach the 1,000-point milestone and the first to do so at home since Moriah Frazee on Jan. 24, 2009. Rininger is shooting 65.9 percent (29-of-44) from the field versus CSU during her career.
5) With a season-high 13 points at Longwood on Tuesday, Emily Frazier became the seventh different Lady Flame to lead the team in scoring this season.
Liberty vs. Charleston Southern At a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 51-6. Current Streak: Liberty has won eight consecutive meetings. Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 25-2. Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won 20 consecutive meetings. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 86, Charleston So. 51 (Jan. 17, 2015 at CSU) Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 66, Charleston So. 45 (Feb. 8, 2014) CSU's Last Series Victory: Charleston So. 54, Liberty 51 (Feb. 28, 2011 at CSU) CSU's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Charleston So. 65, Liberty 64 (Jan. 20, 1996)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 377-127 (16th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Charleston Southern: 34-1
Charleston Southern Head Coach: Fred Applin Overall Record (Seasons): 34-83 (Fifth Season) Record at Charleston Southern (Seasons): 21-63 (Third Season) Record vs. Liberty: 1-6
Notes and Anecdotes • Liberty scorched the nets during its first matchup with Charleston Southern this season, Jan. 17 at the Buc Dome. The Lady Flames set season highs for points and field goal percentage (58.6) in an 86-51 triumph over the Buccaneers. Mickayla Sanders (season-high 17 points) and Karly Buer (16) paced Liberty's four double-digit scorers. Shauntavia Dobson and Tatum Jarvis tallied 14 points apiece for CSU.
• Liberty has won eight straight meetings with Charleston Southern by an average of 25.9 ppg.
• Charleston Southern is 0-14 away from the Buc Dome this season and has lost 21 straight road/neutral contests, dating back to last season. The Buccaneers' most recent road victory came on Jan. 11, 2014 at High Point. Their last win at the Vines Center came on Jan. 20, 1996.
• Charleston Southern is forcing opponents to commit 21.1 turnovers per game, the most of any Big South team. Liberty committed 19 turnovers during its Jan. 17 contest at CSU.
• CSU picked up its lone Big South win with a 70-57 home victory over UNC Asheville on Feb. 2. However, the Buccaneers have dropped five consecutive games since then.
• CSU head coach Fred Applin earned a 73-64 victory over Liberty as Hampton's head coach, on Jan. 11, 1996 in Hampton, Va.
Plenty to Celebrate Liberty will recognize Karly Buer, Emily Frazier, Jasmine Gardner and Ellee Rollins during its Senior Night ceremony Saturday. The Lady Flames have had a lot to celebrate recently.
• On Tuesday, the Lady Flames clinched their 15th Big South regular-season title in 18 years and the No. 1 seed for the conference tournament.
• Also on Tuesday, Karly Buer tied a 24-year-old program record with her 22nd straight made free throw.
• Ashley Rininger is seven points shy of 1,000 for her career.
• Sadalia Ellis will celebrate her 21st birthday on Sunday (Feb. 22).
A Look Back at Liberty's 65-60 Win at Longwood • For the 15th time in 18 seasons, Liberty clinched the Big South regular-season title and the No. 1 seed for the 2015 VisitMyrtleBeach.com Big South Women's Basketball Championship, thanks to a 65-60 win at Longwood on Tuesday.
• Liberty had to battle back from an 11-point second-half deficit, the largest deficit it has overcome to win this season.
• Jaymee Fisher-Davis hit a pair of second-half triples, including one which banked in at the 4:50 mark, putting Liberty ahead for good at 55-54.
• The Lady Flames have now won eight straight games overall, 10 consecutive contests against in-state opponents and 13 straight matchups with Longwood. Liberty has recorded eight straight 20-win seasons and has tied the Big South record with 16 conference victories this season.
• The Lady Flames shot just 38.2 percent (21-of-55) from the field and 28.6 percent (4-of-14) from three-point range for the game. However, they were aided greatly by an 86.4 percent (19-of-22) effort from the foul line, including 92.9 percent (13-of-14) after halftime.
• Liberty finished with a 41-26 rebounding edge, including a 25-10 advantage after halftime with its smaller lineup on the floor. The Lady Flames also took advantage of sizeable advantages in points in the paint (28-10) and second-chance points (20-2).
• Emily Frazier's season-high 13 points (nine in the second half) included an 8-of-8 effort from the free throw line.
• Simone Brown, who played center for part of the second half, scored 10 of her 12 points after halftime. Brown was 6-of-6 at the foul line and pulled down six rebounds.
• Ashley Rininger's eight points pulled her to within seven of 1,000 for her career.
7 Shy of 1,000 Ashley Rininger enters Saturday's game seven points away from 1,000 for her career. She is aiming to become the 15th Lady Flame ever to reach the 1,000-point mark and the fourth Ohioan to do so (also Megan Frazee, Moriah Frazee and Kristal Tharp).
• Rininger, who did not reach the 1,000-point mark during her career at GlenOak High School, is aiming to become the 1,000-point club's first new member since Devon Brown.
At Stake on Saturday If Liberty is victorious on Saturday, the Lady Flames would become the first Big South women's basketball team ever to record 17 conference victories in a season. The previous record of 16 was co-held by High Point (2013-14) and Liberty (2011-12 and 2012-13).
Darlings of Defense Liberty has played stingy defense during Big South contests this season, ranking first in the conference for points allowed (50.2 ppg) and field goal percentage defense (30.8). The Lady Flames have held 10 of their 17 conference foes below the 50-point mark and no Big South team has scored more than 64 points against Liberty in 2014-15.
Upholding the Tradition • The 2014-15 Lady Flames have clinched their 19th straight winning season. The streak started in 1996-97, the first year the Lady Flames won the Big South Championship title.
• Liberty has now posted eight straight 20-win seasons and 17 20-win campaigns in the last 19 years.
• Liberty has notched 16 consecutive seasons with 10+ Big South wins, including 2014-15.
• Liberty has claimed 15 Big South Championship crowns in 18 years and earned its 15th Big South regular-season title in 18 years this season.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram