Ashley Rininger tallied 13 points, a career-high 20 rebounds and four blocked shots during Liberty's 64-47 victory over High Point on Jan. 3.
Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes
Today's Game The top two teams in the Big South Conference standings will clash Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Millis Center, as conference leader Liberty (14-6, 10-1 Big South) takes on second-place High Point (13-7, 9-2 Big South). Liberty notched a 64-47 victory over the defending Big South regular-season champion Panthers on Jan. 3 at the Vines Center.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty will attempt to complete its first sweep of the two-game regular-season series against High Point since 2010-11 and take a two-game lead over the Panthers in the Big South standings.
2) High Point is 10-0 at home this season and has won 15 straight games at the Millis Center. However, Liberty is 15-3 at the Millis Center since the start of the 2008-09 season and the road team has won nine of the last 12 meetings between the Lady Flames and Panthers.
3) Defense has keyed Liberty's 10-1 start in Big South Conference play. The Lady Flames are holding conference foes to 51.0 ppg and allowing them to shoot just 31.4 percent from the field. On Jan. 3, Liberty held High Point to season lows for points (47) and field goal percentage (21.1).
4) Nine of the last 11 matchups between Liberty and High Point have been decided by single digits, including a pair of overtime contests.
5) Ashley Rininger played an important role in Liberty's Jan. 3 victory over High Point with 13 points, a career-high 20 rebounds, four blocks and some stellar defense against Stacia Robertson, who scored seven points on 1-of-10 shooting from the field.
Liberty vs. High Point At a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 33-13. Current Streak: Liberty won the most recent meeting. Series Record at High Point: Liberty leads, 15-6. Current Streak at High Point: High Point won the most recent meeting. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 64, High Point 47 (Jan. 3, 2015 at Liberty) Last Meeting at High Point: High Point 75, Liberty 70 (Dec. 30, 2013) High Point's Last Series Victory: High Point 94, Liberty 89 (2OT) (Jan. 30, 2014 at LU) Liberty's Last Series Victory at High Point: Liberty 67, High Point 59 (Feb. 2, 2013)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 371-127 (16th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. High Point: 29-10
High Point Head Coach: DeUnna Hendrix Overall Record (Seasons): 52-31 (Third Season) Record at High Point (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 3-2
Notes and Anecdotes • Defense fueled Liberty's 64-47 home victory over High Point, Jan. 3 at the Vines Center. The Lady Flames limited Stacia Robertson and Kaylah Keys to a combined 5-of-28 from the field. Meanwhile, Ashley Rininger paced Liberty's attack with 13 points, a career-high 20 rebounds and four blocks.
• Liberty will look to sweep the two-game regular-season series from High Point for the first time since 2010-11.
• The road team has won nine of the last 12 Liberty-High Point contests.
• Liberty is 15-3 at the Millis Center since the start of the 2008-09 season and won three Big South titles (2009, 2010 and 2012) at the facility.
• High Point is 10-0 at home this season and has won 15 consecutive home games since a 56-53 loss to Charleston Southern on Jan. 11, 2014.
• Over the past five seasons, nine of the 11 matchups between Liberty and High Point have been decided by single digits, including a pair of overtime contests.
• High Point is led by the inside/outside duo of Stacia Robertson and Kaylah Keys, who rank third and fourth, respectively, on the Big South scoring list at 15.4 ppg apiece. Robertson also ranks among the conference's top five in rebounds, steals and blocked shots.
Controlling the Paint Liberty is 8-1 in its last nine games, thanks in large part to its success around the basket.
• The Lady Flames have outrebounded each of their last nine opponents, by an average of 15.0 boards per game.
• Liberty has also outscored all nine foes inside the paint, by an average of 12.8 ppg.
Darlings of Defense Liberty has played stingy defense during Big South contests this season, ranking first in the conference for points allowed (51.0 ppg) and field goal percentage defense (31.4 percent) in conference-only games.
• The Lady Flames have held six of their 11 conference foes below the 50-point mark.
• During Liberty's first meeting with High Point, the Lady Flames limited the Panthers to season-low figures for points (47) and field goal percentage (21.1).
First to 10 Liberty's 62-58 victory over UNC Asheville on Tuesday was the Lady Flames' 10th Big South win this season. Liberty became the first NCAA Division I women's basketball team to record 10 conference victories this season and has now achieved double-digit Big South wins for 16 consecutive years.
1,000 in Sight Ashley Rininger has scored 920 career points, leaving her 80 points away from becoming Liberty's 15th 1,000-point scorer. Scoring at her season average (11.6 ppg), Rininger would reach the milestone during a home game with Charleston Southern on Feb. 21.
A Look Back at Liberty's 62-58 Win Over UNC Asheville • Liberty held off UNC Asheville for a 62-58 victory, Tuesday evening at the Vines Center, in a tightly contested game which featured seven ties and seven lead changes.
• Sadalia Ellis (career high-equaling 17 points, six assists) led the way for the Lady Flames and played a key role in an 11-3 surge which turned a 51-50 lead into a 62-53 cushion with just 37.1 seconds remaining.
• Liberty, which has now won 50 games all-time against Asheville, claimed its eighth straight home win and eighth consecutive triumph over the Bulldogs inside the Vines Center.
• The Lady Flames shot 50 percent (25-of-50) from the field, improving to 98-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least half of their field goals.
• Asheville became the first visiting Big South team to score 50 points at the Vines Center in 2014-15.
• Liberty outrebounded its ninth consecutive opponent, 31-26, and enjoyed a slim 26-22 edge in points in the paint.
• The Lady Flames finished with their second fewest turnovers of the season (13), only five of which came after halftime.
• Simone Brown scored 10 points on 5-of-6 from the field.
• Katelyn Adams' nine points and game-high eight rebounds put the redshirt junior over the 500 mark in both categories. She is the 26th Lady Flame ever to grab 500 career boards.
• Ashley Rininger scored four of her eight points during the game's final 1:13.
Balanced Attack Sadalia Ellis led the Lady Flames with 17 points during Tuesday's win over UNC Asheville, becoming the sixth different player to top Liberty's scoring chart in the last seven games.
• Simone Brown, Karly Buer, Jaymee Fisher-Davis, Ashley Rininger and Mickayla Sanders have all taken turns as the Lady Flames' scoring leader during the last seven contests, spanning Jan. 5-27.
• Ten different Lady Flames have scored 10 or more points in a game this season, including the six players mentioned above, Katelyn Adams, Emily Frazier, Jasmine Gardner and Catherine Kearney.
Winning the Battle of the Boards Liberty has outrebounded nine consecutive opponents, moving up to No. 19 nationally in rebound margin at +8.8.
The Container is Half Full The Lady Flames are 98-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals, including 2-0 in 2014-15. Liberty has won the last 25 times it has shot 50 percent or better, since an 83-77 loss to Kentucky in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship (March 20, 2010).
The Container is Half Empty Liberty has held 51 straight opponents below 50 percent shooting from the field. Purdue was the Lady Flames' most recent foe to make at least half of its field goal attempts, connecting at a 50.0 percent (26-of-52) clip during the first round of the 2013 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship (March 24, 2013).
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram